Gonna Getta Betta

1. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

What kind should I get?

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

Plakat, 100% recommend plakats. That or a female. Get one that's a lighter colored fish with a few patches of color, then you get to watch them go through a color change. Just my personal preferences of course.

3. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

Well what kind of tank are you going to set up for it?

4. phenris

phenris Valued Member Member

Personally, halfmoon tails are my favorite because of the long, bushy fins. I'm not a fan of crowntails because of the ragged look to the fins (but I'm also a hypocrite because I have a crowntail female lol). This is all purely aesthetic though. Longer-finned bettas do tend to be more prone to fin rot and loss. People also say they're less active, but the halfmoon tail guy I have darts around the tank like he's a bullet lol. So I'll say that that particular claim just depends on the personality of the fish.

5. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

The feather tail, rose tail, and even sometimes the halfmoon bettas are all susceptible to issues due to how long their fins are, such as fin biting or swim problems. But if those are the bettas you are drawn to, by all means get one. Just be prepared that is a common problem with those types.

The females are a little bit more "community" than the males are. They'll do better with, for example, neon tetras, than the males will. The males can work with some tank mates, but if you just want a single fish in it's own tank, then a male is probably going to work best because they have the pretty fins and they're easier to find.

Each betta has it's own individual personality, so when looking at bettas in the store, find one that likes to interact with you. Also check for clamped fins, lethargic temperament, discoloration around the gills, and fin rot before buying. Avoid buying a fish that is obviously sick, thinking that you'll nurse it back to health. I know, the sick bettas in the cups at the store really tug at your heart strings. But they also tug at your wallet, with all the medication you end up buying.

I'm sooooo happy to see goldie mom is getting a betta, though. You will LOVE your new fish!

6. OP
    OP
    Goldiemom

I will either buy it a 5G or use an extra 10G that I have. Of course, I also have an extra 20G so what is the recommendation. I really don’t need another large tank on display though. I’d like to be able to set it on a shelf. Leaning towards the 10G. Also want a male.

7. motherofbettas

motherofbettas Valued Member Member

I love the big tail boys, but everything everyone has said above is true, you do have to monitor them closely!
    I also have always enjoyed veiltails even though they are pretty common. Never been a crowntail fan. And I’ve never had a female betta.
    However I can pretty much guarantee that you will love your little guy!

8. ap4lmtree

ap4lmtree Well Known Member Member

you should get an expensive one a 20 dollar or so one from petco or petsmart that is a crowntail or a halfmoon. you should get a good looking one tht you like.

if you go to petco or some stores, you can get baby ones too. or you could get an older one too. the stores that have lots of volume and people traffic like urban city probably have the baby ones

you should also try bonding with the betta within the store to pick one that doesn't ignore you when you get it home.

9. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

A 10G I think is perfect. As for what kind then, get what ever appeals to you, just go to fish stores until you find one that pops out at you!

10. phenris

That bonding part is pretty important! I had a super beautiful, healthy male in hand that I loved the look of but he wasn't very responsive to me. I found Meeko way in the back of the shelf and immediately knew he was the one. Little guy was super interested and as interactive with me as a fish can be.

11. BettaFishKeeper4302

BettaFishKeeper4302 Well Known Member Member

I like elephant ears and white opal males. Baskcally any betta that looks appealing to me. Remember they need a minimum of 2.5 gallons.

12. phenris

To piggyback off this bit of info, 2.5 gallons being the minimum are by American standards, which many deem outdated. A lot of betta keepers have taken to Germany's standards because they're more modern and successful, and their standard is a 5 gallon minimum. Of course, take from that what you will! I've had perfectly healthy, comfortable, and active bettas in 2.5 gals before so a lot of it really just depends on the fish. There's been cases of some bettas who got too used to cup life and really hate larger tanks. Larger tank size does mean less maintenance though, and a pretty reliable rule of thumb is the bigger the better.

13. OP
    OP
    Goldiemom

So is an elephant ear the same as a dumbo ear? Gosh, so many types!

14. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

Dumbo is an elephant!

15. Nightshadethebetta

Nightshadethebetta Valued Member Member

Go with whichever you like best! I’ve had only regular veiltails and they have had the best little personalities! It’s hard to pick out a betta, but I go with whichever one I feel a connection with and instantly bond with. May sound silly, but it works :) My currently little guy has been so interactive with me since the day I brought him home and he always comes to the glass to see me! They’re too cute :p

16. IHaveADogToo

Yep dumbo and elephant ear are the same thing. They are bettas who’s pectoral fins are not transparent. This occurs in several different tail types and scale types.

17. OP
    OP
    Goldiemom

I love the feather tales but hate to fight fin rot. If water s kept clean is it less of an issue?

18. babiimoore

babiimoore Valued Member Member

i love all tails but i am most attracted to big ears, especially females. although i would assume it makes it hard to swim with those huge pectoral fins.

19. IHaveADogToo

It’s a behavior thing with them. They may tend to bite at their own tail if it’s too long. You can avoid this by creating an environment that has a lot of things for them to rest on instead of a lot of free swimming area. Put one of these guys in an overgrown Walstad bowl and they’ll be happy as a clam. Think tall grass, long leaves...

20. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I prefer crowntails, or shorter finned types.