Gone Without A Trace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robjoco

Valued Member
Reaction score
Is there a Bermuda Triangle in my tank?! 2 fish have vanished in the last week. I took apart the hob (fluval 70) to make sure they didn’t get sucked up, and there’s also nothing in or around decor.

I’m currently cycling my new 55 gallon tank.
Started cycling 30 March. Used api tap conditioner and api QuickStart.
Upon questionable advice from the internet, added 10 young white clouds on 6 April.
After about a week, only finding 9 fish. Convince myself that the store miscounted.
On 18 April, switched to seachem prime and stability.

This morning, I’m down to 8 fish. They seem too small to swallow the evidence overnight! What’s happening?

pH: 8.2
Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: .5
Nitrate: 5

Sorry if this is too much detail. I’m just perplexed.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, well your Ph, ammonia & nitrite aren't going to make life comfortable for the fish & the ammonia & nitrite over time will kill them. What temperature do you have your water at? Are you doing water changes to bring the parameters down? I don't know where the remains of the fish would have gone but they are a pretty small fish so will decompose fairly fast especially if the others are feeding on them, just a thought but is your tank covered? White clouds are known to jump out of open topped tanks.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They either jumped, died and got eaten, or died and are in a spot where you can't see them. I would suggest that you return your fish and to not buy any fish until the tank is fully cycled.

OP
Robjoco

Robjoco

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

Yes, there’s a lid.

The temp is regulated at 22 C.

My city water is 8.2 pH and hardness 150 ppm. I chose white clouds because this fits perfectly to the parameters listed on seriouslyfish. They are all active and appear healthy, and have grown since I brought them home.

Yes, I’m doing 25% changes weekly.

As I return to the hobby, I’m finding so much conflicting info and advice. A challenge, indeed. I was told online not to worry about the hardness and pH since it will be the same as the lfs, and just needs to be kept steady.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like you're doing everything spot on, Ph for white clouds should be 6 to 8 but as you said as long as it's stable then they should be OK at 8.2, don't know why a couple of them have died, you may have just got a couple of weak ones in the group & they died naturally, how are your other ones doing?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
: .25
: .5
: 5
In my opinion you should be doing a lot more when it comes to water changes while doing a fish in cycle. 25% weekly might work once this tank is cycled but to keep the fish safe you really need to get those numbers down or rendered harmless.

It is good that you are using prime as it is supposed to render the ammonia and nitrites less harmful when the total of the two are less than one as I see yours are.

You should be adding a full dose of prime every day that the numbers are less than 1 and if the 2 combined are over 1 do a water change to get them back under 1 and then add a full dose of prime.

As long as you are registering ammonia and/or nitrates Prime needs to be added every day.

Amazingly fish bodies do seem to just disappear. I think it has probably happened to every one of us at some time or another.

OP
Robjoco

Robjoco

Valued Member
Reaction score
Looks like you're doing everything spot on, Ph for white clouds should be 6 to 8 but as you said as long as it's stable then they should be OK at 8.2, don't know why a couple of them have died, you may have just got a couple of weak ones in the group & they died naturally, how are your other ones doing?
Thank you. All the others are doing well, growing and starting to color up nicely.

OP
Robjoco

Robjoco

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I’ll increase water changes and keep doing Prime. And thanks for the reassurance!

In my opinion you should be doing a lot more when it comes to water changes while doing a fish in cycle. 25% weekly might work once this tank is cycled but to keep the fish safe you really need to get those numbers down or rendered harmless.

It is good that you are using prime as it is supposed to render the ammonia and nitrites less harmful when the total of the two are less than one as I see yours are.

You should be adding a full dose of prime every day that the numbers are less than 1 and if the 2 combined are over 1 do a water change to get them back under 1 and then add a full dose of prime.

As long as you are registering ammonia and/or nitrates Prime needs to be added every day.

Amazingly fish bodies do seem to just disappear. I think it has probably happened to every one of us at some time or another.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok thanks. I’ll increase water changes and keep doing Prime. And thanks for the reassurance!
You're very welcome. Let your tests be your guide as to how much and when you need to do a water change.

I see you are registering nitrates so it appears your cycle is progressing as it should unless you have nitrates in your source water. Have you run your tests on that water?

Starting with 10 little fish (now 8) you shouldn't have to do as many water changes as I did for my 55 but I had a LOT more fish in mine while it was cycling. Just run your tests daily and go from there.

connor31556

Valued Member
Reaction score
This happened multiple times to me I lost at least 4 corydoras with out a trace practically turned the tank inside out looking for them but never managed to find them and I have a lid on mine

OP
Robjoco

Robjoco

Valued Member
Reaction score
This happened multiple times to me I lost at least 4 corydoras with out a trace practically turned the tank inside out looking for them but never managed to find them and I have a lid on mine
Well at least I’m not alone in this!

You're very welcome. Let your tests be your guide as to how much and when you need to do a water change.

I see you are registering nitrates so it appears your cycle is progressing as it should unless you have nitrates in your source water. Have you run your tests on that water?
Yes, my tap today:
Ammonia: .5
Nitrite: .25

Last edited by a moderator:

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, my tap today:
That explains where the nitrates are coming from. Maybe unusual seeing all 3 in tap water but not out of the realm of possibility. Once your tank is fully cycled those low numbers on the ammonia and nitrites shouldn't cause a problem as long as you continue using Prime .

Once you see those nitrates start rising you will know you are close to cycled.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes, my tap today:
right so your tap has both toxins but all is not lost! that's a good source of food for both colonies of bacteria... you just need prime with every water change as you know.

your cycle is progressing if your tank has lower ammonia than your tap & your nitrites are on the rise. nitrobacter grow more slowly so the nitrites can be stubborn but then suddenly in like 48 hours they disappear & your nitrates spike & you're cycled

OP
Robjoco

Robjoco

Valued Member
Reaction score
That explains where the nitrates are coming from. Maybe unusual seeing all 3 in tap water but not out of the realm of possibility. Once your tank is fully cycled those low numbers on the ammonia and nitrites shouldn't cause a problem as long as you continue using Prime .

Once you see those nitrates start rising you will know you are close to cycled.
Yay thanks! I’m so excited!

Oh jenoli42 and mattgirl, you’ve given me hope! Thank you!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom