Gone in the night. . .

fishtroy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi. A mystery has happened here in Fish Troy that has me quite upset.
I just thought I would share it with you all as it involves one of my fish.
I will start at the beginning. Two of my babies Protesilaus (Veil Tail Male) and Nicostratus (I never really knew his gender he was marked as a Plakat Male) shared a double tank happily with each other for months. The two of them actually seemed to become friends, they would spar and fight but then would rest/sleep pressed up against the glass divider next to each other which was quite sweet. Protesilaus came from the worlds smallest cordial cup and Nico from another cordial cup but a bit bigger. It was of no surprise to me when about a week ago they both started showing signs of not being 100% well. I needed to separate them to treat them so I moved them into separate tanks for while I fixed them up. I treated both and put their containers next to each other so that they could still see each other. The next closest fish to them was my little (he is quite young) Telemachus and then the rest of the fish follow.
Day one into his treatment Nico looked the worst. I did not think he would survive the night but I persisted with his treatment.
Yesterday morning (my birthday) I came downstairs to discover that Nico had improved drastically by almost 70%, he was swimming happily in his tank, playing with Telemachus who was flaring at him from next door and trying to get his old pal Protesilaus' attention. The only thing was that he did not have much strength and was resting every few minutes. He would play for a few, rest for a few in a state of exhaustion. I was very happy at his recovery. By the time I went to bed (very late after my dinner out, after midnight) Nico had worn himself out from playing all day and was lying sound asleep on the floor of his tank.
Now to this morning, I came downstairs and went straight to see how my unwell boys were doing, I noticed straight away coming downstairs that I couldn't see Nico. I came and inspected every inch of his tank, nothing was disturbed it was exactly as I had left it, but no Nico. He was gone. My first reaction was to think that he might have died, I asked other members of the household to discover that they hadn't even looked at the fish this morning.
He hadn't died, and if he had, they hadn't removed him.
I then started the search. I checked my other fishes tanks in case he had landed in with them, especially Protesilaus and Telemachus. No Nico. I searched the bench he was on and floor and around. No Nico. I extended the search, to the whole room, moving objects, coffee tables, ornaments, anything within the room. No Nico.

He is gone. No trace of him anywhere. I have had jumpers before but I have always found them. There is no clue, no water spilt no disturbance to anything. He is just gone.

Theories? I did not think he had the strength in him to jump but apparantly he did. A jump can be the only explanation. He has not landed anywhere.
I have no cats so that can't be to blame. The only thing I can think of is almost to horrible to type. I have a small lap dog, Angel, a chitzu-maltese who thinks everything is food and will swallow anything in sight, from leaves to bugs. I can only imagine he has jumped and she had thought him a snack. It is safe to say I am not speaking to her today. I cannot convict her without any evidence though.
It is a mystery, but my Nicostratus is gone without a trace.

The one I feel for now is Protesilaus. He was just staring at Nicos empty tank. I even bought them on the same day, they came home together. Protesilaus has gone downhill today. I caught him trying to jump. I have talked to him but I don't think he has the will to continue without Nico. They really became close. If only he could talk, he could tell me what happened to Nico.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm so sorry

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oh, no! I hope Protesilaus will get better! It must feel so bad to lose your best friend!

I'm sorry about your loss, Maddy.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
<hugs>

critter_fritter79

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh how terrible! I am so sorry that happened!

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If a fish dies, at least you know it's passed on and can give it proper rites.

When it vanishes, that's a whole different story and you can only hope for the best.

<hugs>

pamd

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
fishtroy said:
The only thing I can think of is almost to horrible to type. I have a small lap dog, Angel, a chitzu-maltese who thinks everything is food and will swallow anything in sight, from leaves to bugs. I can only imagine he has jumped and she had thought him a snack. It is safe to say I am not speaking to her today. I cannot convict her without any evidence though.
Nico probably jumped and a dog, even a sweet lap-dog, will do what she instinctively does. I'm so sorry this happened. Hoping for the best for Protesilaus, you and Angel.

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So sorry you lost Nico. Hope everything gets better soon. :console:

fishtroy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Elodea said:
If a fish dies, at least you know it's passed on and can give it proper rites.

When it vanishes, that's a whole different story and you can only hope for the best.

<hugs>
This is what bothers me the most, I dont know where my little guy ended up.

hooxeii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So, so sorry to hear about this. Unfortunately, it happens sometimes. Nature is nature, and unless you can find him, I'm guessing your assumption about the dog is correct. As horrid as it is, don't blame the dog. It's only done what centuries of instinct tells it to do. Sadly, this means wee Nico may be gone.

I'm really, really sorry about this. It's always tough when you don't know. I hope the rest of the gang heals up well...

Melissawater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh poor finbaby

shellbell4ever

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So Sorry for your loss

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm so sorry, Maddy

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Aw no, I'm sorry, that is strange. Wishing all the best for Protesilaus

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Aww, so sorry you lost him. :'( How's Protesilaus doing?

fishtroy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My poor Protesilaus is not the best. He is exceedingly mopey and lethargic. I had hope for a recovery when he was still eating but tonight he refused his food which he is normally quite enthusiastic about. I know its not a good sign. . .

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sounds exactly the same as my Nep

We'll have to get through this together from opposite sides of the world

CDA

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am so sorry fishtroy I hope Protesilaus gets through this. It is so difficult when there is no closure.

RIP Nico :;a

fishtroy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Tigerfishy said:
Sounds exactly the same as my Nep

We'll have to get through this together from opposite sides of the world

Lets hope our boys are tough and strong.

Heather M

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm so sorry! :'(

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom