Gone for 7 days suggestions?

1. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I know I can leave my tanks and they will probably be fine but I really am hoping this other idea works. The tank with my main concern is my new 10 gallon fry tank. It has 30 or so fry (mix of guppy, molly, and platy) I really don't want to leave them for a week without food.

I found out today that they all seem to pick at the Seaweed salad stuff and eat that. (Its basically those sheets of algae) Do I need to worry about these sheets polluting my water? I can't imagine I would since its just algea but what are your thoughts? I think I can put a pretty small piece in and they would have enough to munch on all week. By the time they eat it all I would be back in a couple days.

If it doesn't dissolve like those weekend feeders in your water I may just have to put some in my other tanks as well.

2. wisecrackerz Well Known Member Member

you could invest in an automatic feeder, but i feel like you said you were moving soon and not taking any of your fish stuff with you, so maybe that wouldn't be the best bet. depending on how long you have, if your fry like to eat algae, you could just farm some on some jars or ornaments or whatever, and then put the live algae in the fry tank; that way you'd be sure it wouldn't break down and pollute your water.

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

What are you feeding the fry?

4. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

When I move I am planning on taking most of the tanks with me. The only ones that will be staying will be the 150 reef and the seahorses for sure. Those are my moms tanks. Then maybe the 55 will be staying too not 100% sure.

Only problem with farming the algae is I leave tomorrow.

Well I just brought them home so I wasn't going to try to feed them since I've only had them a few hours but I was feeding the algae sheets to my other tank and decided to rip a corner off and give it to the fry and they actually have been nibbling on it.

I will be feeding frozen baby brine, mini tropical pellets (literally like a powder), and some crushed flakes (tropical, spirulina, etc). Then eventually I know baby mollies like algae wafers