Goldie Turning Brown On Regrowing Areas?

1. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Hello fellow Fishlorians!

One of my Goldie’s got sucked into my filter and got badly injured. I can’t get a good pic(sun glare) so I’ll get one out tonight.

So almost all of the new growth is brown with hints of purple. It is all of the new growth like the fins and parts of the body. Could it be anything bad?

Info:
    Parameters are 0 0 20
    Temp is at 68
    125 gallons
    2 canisters: eHeim 2217 and a 5 gallon bucket filter with a pump for 75 liters a minute.

2. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

What kind of goldy?

3. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

Oh sorry!

It’s a ryukin that was all orange, but the regrow tissue is now this brown with hints of purple.

4. Gypsy13

A darling! Yes brownish with tinges of purple are normal. I always hoped the purple would stay but it never did. Glad your baby is healing. Accidents like that can cause so much trauma. To you and the fish. Keep a close eye on it. When did it happen?

5. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

It happened about a week ago.

6. Gypsy13

Sounds like it’s healing well. No trouble swimming eating pooing? Perky and happy?

7. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

There isn't any trouble with any of those, but my goldie starts to dart around a lot more when he sees people.

When he first darted a week ago, he lost a large chunk of his fin but it has regrown already.

8. Gypsy13

I’m surprised at how much a goldfish can take. My pond flooded just last week. I’m out catching gf to put back in the pond. I stepped on one. All juvies mind you, older ones have some sense. They lay low. I’ve got this one I stepped on in qt. Other than being mad at being confined, she seems fine. I’m giving her until Saturday. If she’s still swimming right and eating, back to the pond she goes.

9. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

Hopefully your goldfish recovers!

10. Gypsy13

So he’s got a little of the freak out on you. Go slow around the tank for a while. Give him time to settle. That’s a lot of stress. Is it a planted tank?

11. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

Lightly. The rocks have java fern and There is a large mass of floating hornwort and anacharis in the middle.

12. Gypsy13

I’m hopeful. Swim bladder seems ok. Nothing broken. (X-ray). Vet said it was probably not as bad as I made myself believe. Plus it was still pouring rain.

13. Gypsy13

So he should settle quicker. I keep hornwort in my gf qt. Seems to help. And it can take salt if needed. I just think he needs time. And love. :)