Goldie Ragged Fins

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by jtwizz, Apr 8, 2017.

1. jtwizz

jtwizz Valued Member Member

2. OP
    OP
    jtwizz

Does anyone have any insight as to what could be causing this? They don't appear to be aggressive toward one another so I've ruled out nipping.

3. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

Ragged fins automatically sound like fin rot to me. Photos would help.

4. OP
    OP
    jtwizz

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really don't think it's fin rot as the larger of the two has had this look to his tail for over a month and it's not getting any worse.

5. MaddieTaylah

Could their tails be getting ripped by any objects in the tank?

Also, these are common goldfish which require much more water volume than 30 gallons.

6. OP
    OP
    jtwizz

There is nothing jagged in the tank at all. Only one small cave type decoration with round edges. And yes, I am aware that the tank isn't big enough-- I got both the tank and the fish before I leaned that though. I have plans to get a larger tank or to relocate them to a pond soon but I want to be sure they are as healthy as possible so that it is a smooth transition for them.

7. MaddieTaylah

If good water quality alone isn't helping to heal the tails then i'd opt for aquarium salt to hopefully help heal them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice