Goldie dies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paula70, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Paula70New MemberMember

Hi everyone - My goldie died last night - he had been ill for a few days. He was 11 years old. I think he had swim bladder, I tried the peas and water changes but he got worse.

I'm wondering if I should get another Goldie. I have a small bio orb, wondering if this is why he got ill - I've heard these aren't good for fish. He had lived in it for about the last 5 years of his life. Should I get another tank if I get a new goldie.

2. Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!

5 gallons is no where near good enough to house a goldfish. You'd need 6x that at the least for a fancy goldfish, and 10x that for a common or comet.

A single betta would be a better option :)

3. riptide904Valued MemberMember

I'm so sorry :( I hate it when my fish die, it must be terrible if you've kept them for so long.

I agree with the above. If you're going to get another goldfish I'd suggest one fancy, like a black moor (love these), oranda, or fantail. I don't know what kind yours was, but these guys stay small (for a goldfish, still about 6+ inches). I'd suggest getting a 20 Gallon/75L setup at least, generally people say to get the largest you can afford because big tanks are less unstable and give the fish lots of room. I recently bought a twenty that cost $80, it included the lid/light, filter, food, water conditioner, thermometer (Though it's not a very good one..) and heater (Which I gave to my betta tank).

The little bio orb was probably too small for an 11 year old goldfish and had pretty unstable water conditions. How big was it? You might be able to keep something like a betta in there (I absolutely adore blue orchid halfmoons, look them up :) )

I'd also suggest getting a water testing kit if you don't already have one, I find it helps rule out bad water as cause for disease and lets you know if the levels are dangerous.

Good luck (And sorry about your fishy :;hug2 )

4. Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

Moore and orandas most certainly do not stay that small. 8+ inches is very common for them. I would not house a single fancy goldfish in less than 30 gallons, with the exception of Ranchu's, Lionheads, and maybe celestial eyes, bubble eyes, and perhaps pom poms (having never seen full grown specimens of the last 3, I can't say for sure on those).

5. riptide904Valued MemberMember

Ahg, I always mix my fish up. Listen to them, I haven't had much goldfish experience.:;sl

6. Paula70New MemberMember

Hi my goldfish was pretty big and I never bothered with water testing kits etc I wish I did now - he might have lasted longer. I feel bad now. If I get another fish I will buy another tank - a square one rather than the orb type. I don't know what type of fish he was just that he was an orange goldfish - I didnt realise there were different kinds.

7. Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

There are fat ones with two tail fins (fancy goldfish, which come in a few varieties like Ryukin, fantail, Oranda, etc), and then there are commons and comets, and shubunkins. These last 3 are the regular goldfish with long bodies, and single tail fins, but Shubunkins are calico in color and have a wider span from top to bottom on their tail fins. Commons, comets, and shubunkins need very large tank because of their size (12+ inches) and activity levels. Fancies don't need quite as large tanks, but they are still goldfish are poop a lot, as well as their increases mass compared to their size.

8. JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

I strongly suggest at least a 55 gallon for another goldfish. Fancy varieties need at least 55 gallons as well as any other goldfish. They are LARGE, highly active fish that need a lot of room to swim. I second getting a betta for your five gallon, if you want another fish for it.

If you want a goldfish, you'll need to invest in a 55 gallon tank and all that goes in it, a stand (you can build one yourself for about $12 if you need to), a heater (to keep the temperature at an even number between 71 and 76 degrees F) and a water test kit.

If you get a betta, you will only need to cycle your 5 gallon and get a water test kit and some food.

Good luck, and sorry to hear of your loss.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice