Goldfish's Eye Getting Worse. Advice Please..

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Richie99, May 18, 2018.

1. Richie99

Richie99 New Member Member

Hi everyone,

I noticed my goldfish having cloudy eye in both eyes and started treating with Melafix immediately.
    The left eye looks great but the right eye took a turn for the worst last night. I checked this morning and it is very swollen. I'm on the 5th day of treatment with the Melafix. Any advise? Water parameters are great. Added photos. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

Melafix is probably a good treatment for the bacteria. You said your water perameters are fine, but are you keeping up with water changes anyway? Gold fish are naturally scavengers of the bottom wher fish poop and other detritus settles, so they keep their faces down in the dirtiest places looking for edible morsels. Do some water changing everyday...about 10 to 20 percent and treat the fish with the Melafix. Make sure that you use a dechlorinator that also says it detoxifies ammonia...regardless of reading from test kit. I know it's become spring and the temperatures are rising, but gold fish fare better in water that is 70 degrees Fahrenheit...even slightly lower. They don't make good community tank fish with tropical fish just because of their temperature requirements.

...oh I forgot, keeping a little aquarium salt in the water is helpful...about 1 tsp per gallon of water. Remember to add the salt back from each gallon of water you change.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2018
  3. OP
    OP
    Richie99

Richie99 New Member Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice