Goldfish?

1. g

goldfish39 New Member Member

Hello!
    Today, my girlfriend won a couple of those carnival goldfish. I was reading about them and I was going to try to go to the pet store and buy a big tank for them and such, but I read that having black spots on them would indicate they're sick, and two of them have black spots on them.

I think they're sick (I can only imagine how they were treated), but I was wondering if they were actually sick or not?

Sorry the pictures are bad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mothercrow

Mothercrow Well Known Member Member

I could be wrong, but that looks like natural coloration to me. Two of my goldfish have black on their bodies.

3. a

akle4 Valued Member Member

I'm my opinion those fish look fine. I can really tell on the second one that it is the color. In my opinion carnival fish are great, because all of the ones I have put in my cousins tank are still living going on 2 or 3 years. I also have a 1 year old one. You will give them, a great home. A better life than most of them get!

4. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Looks natural to me too!

5. Danjamesdixon

Danjamesdixon Well Known Member Member

Hello.

You will do well to bare in mind, these fish will grow to around a foot long, potentially live for over 20 years, and are ideally kept in ponds. How big of a tank were you looking at getting for them?

A lot of countries are banning the practice of carnival goldfish, I suppose not everywhere has managed it yet.

6. Bellatrix

Bellatrix Valued Member Member

Goldfish are factories. They basically don't stop pooping so you're going to beed a tank with a strong filter. Plus do PWC changes more frequently to keep the ammonia and such stable especially since this new tank isn't going to be cycled. May I recommend Tetra Safe Start to get you going?

Also you'll need a BIG tank for two goldfish to live healthy.

7. Koniucha

Koniucha Valued Member Member

I believe they need a 75 gallon at least.

Anyways, two carnival goldfish is how I also got started. Now I have a 40 gal breeder tank! :;toast

8. GoldieBubbles

GoldieBubbles Valued Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    Right now I would go get the biggest tank you can afford and a good filter and we will work from there, if these are your first fish then you have a lot to learn so keep on making post and we will teach you along the way. The one very important thing you should research about is the nitrogen cycle <- most important thing in fish keeping! Oh and always double check pet shop advice with fishlore and other trustworthy sites on the Internet because tons of new fish keepers get told faulty advice that could hurt their fish.

9. Danjamesdixon

75 Gallons is not enough for a fish that creates as much waste as, and grows to the size of a Goldfish. As i said - they will all grow to around a foot long. I'd look more to around 200-300 gallons for the amount you have. Even then, that won't be adequate forever.

Goldfish really aren't the best beginner aquarist fish, despite the common association. They are so messy, require a lot of attention. Overfiltration is a must, which becomes expensive as you can imagine.

I'm not trying to put you off - i just want you to be aware of what you are getting into with the fish you have.

10. WeepingShadesOfIndigo

WeepingShadesOfIndigo Valued Member Member

Very pretty is that one in the second picture a 'fancy' goldfish? Looks a bit different to me then the comets or commons that are usually given away.

11. OP
    OP
    g

A 75 gallon tank and then I was going to get another when I could afford it. I also might rehome two or all of them because I'm not sure I can care for these fish properly. Would rehoming be the best idea?

Yeah, I really wish they'd have banned it here before she brought home not two but four carnival fish, or at least put a limit on how many you could get..

Yeah, I don't think I can afford that unfortunately.. I'll definitely have to look into rehoming a few of them. I'm not sure we can even handle two. Thank you for telling me!

It's not offputting, don't worry; I really just don't want to accidentally hurt the fish.

12. Danjamesdixon

If you feel like you want to get into aquarism, but also like you've been thrown in the deep end (pun intended) with this, why not rehome them, pick up a small tank, around 20-30 gallons to give you the stability you need, and get some tropical fish?

13. ToddHendrix

ToddHendrix Valued Member Member

Finding a pond or something would be a good home for them. Depending on what's inhabiting that pond

14. OP
    OP
    g

Thanks! I think I'll do that. Great pun.

Do you think it'd be possible for me to keep one or two of the goldfish? I'll rehome them all if necessary, I was just wondering if it could be possible for me to try to take care of one or two of them, even though they're not very good beginner fish.

There's an enormous pond by my house, but I'm not sure what's in it. Sorry for a bad question, but if I were to rehome them, is that how I would do it? Would I just put them into a pond?

15. WeepingShadesOfIndigo

WeepingShadesOfIndigo Valued Member Member

May be wrong as I don't know much about goldfish but if that one in the second picture is a fancy then it may not get quite as huge and may be possible to have in a really well filtered 75 gallon? Maybe take a better picture of it from the side and have people tell you what kind it is?

16. OP
    OP
    g

I found a local pet store that will take fish, so I'm going to rehome some (or all) of them there. I think I will try to keep that one, but I need some more advice before I keep any of them.

I'll try to get a better pic later!

17. GoldieBubbles

GoldieBubbles Valued Member Member

Oh they mean a man made pond never release fish into a natural pond because they can and will become an invasive species and out compete native species.

18. Bellatrix

Bellatrix Valued Member Member

If I were you I'd take them all to the pet store.

If you're interested in fish keeping start with easier fish like White Cloud Mountain Minnows. But you still need a large tank for them as they're lively little things.

19. Mothercrow

Mothercrow Well Known Member Member

I'm probably going to get yelled at, but I've been doing quite a bit of research, and the information on THIS website, written by Mike Fishlore, advises 20 gallons for the first goldfish and 10 gallons for each goldfish after that. The MOST I have seen is 40 gallons for one and 12 gallons for each after that. The growth charts I've looked up say common goldfish get up to 10 inches long, can sometimes get up to 12 inches long, and the average lifespan is 20 years. Fancy goldfish don't get quite as big. The conditions they are kept under affect their growth and lifespan, of course. They do produce a lot of waste, and you will want extra filtration.

There are lots of people who keep and love goldfish. If you want to keep some of your goldfish, I recommend that you do a lot of research, because there are A LOT of opinions out there. Goldfish would love a pond of their own and usually thrive under those conditions, but it's not the only way to keep a goldfish. BTW, absolutely do not ever release any pet fish into the wild. Not only is it illegal in many places, but it upsets the ecosystem and damages native species. If you want, look up what happened when someone released goldfish into a lake in Boulder, CO.

20. a

akle4 Valued Member Member

You can get fancy goldfish instead and buy like a 30 gallon tank for one or two.

And of course you would have to upgrade it in the future, but you might be able to afford it.