Goldfish Help

1. stiglitz Well Known Member Member

I have two common gold fish in my 10 gallon tank. They're both about 2 inches long and look like this

http://www.petgoldfish.net/file/common-goldfish-6.jpg

Now i know goldfish are very hardy fish and they like to school a lot. I feel like 2 goldfish isnt enough, so i was wondering if it'd be okay to put in 2 more goldfish? Same type, and same size.... I know they'll grow larger in time, but to be honest i've seen smaller overstocked tanks with more goldfish, and they seemed to be fine... Im becoming more dedicated towards this fish hobby of mine. i'm staying on top of my cleanings, im adding an air pump, and im also adding a bigger filter to my tank as well. so i think i could handle adding 2 more goldfish... So yeah, four, two-inch common goldfish in a 10 gallon tank with an air pump and filter made for a 20 gallon tank, what do you guys think?

P.S if Ken or any other moderator sees this, i apologize if i posted this in the wrong category/area. i seem to never be able to find my way around these forums :p

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

3. stiglitz Well Known Member Member

ohmygod...... how did it get that big!? how long does that take.... was that a common gold fish or what? so i guess a 10 gallon tank isnt sufficient for two goldfish huh?..

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, they are both common goldfish. How did it get that big? It pooped less than it ate :) It certainly takes a while to get that big, but one common goldfish will outgrow a 10 gallon very quickly.

5. stiglitz Well Known Member Member

alright, i'll take that into consideration, thanks! im still trying to convince my parents to letting me get a bigger tank for the summer, and it's my birthday in 15 days so... we'll see xD thanks for all the help :)

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

A common goldfish will eventually outgrow just about any tank you could get, so keep that in mind too. Since they are still small you could get away with an upgrade to a 29 for a little while, but for a more permanent short term solution after the 29, I wouldn't go less than a 48x18 tank - 75 or 90 gallons. Once it outgrows that, it's time for a pond.

7. snapper Well Known Member Member

My comet (similar to a common in terms of growth) has grown from 1" to 5" since November. It doesn't take long.

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member