Goldfish with swim Bladder and possible red streaks in tail find

Babette

Hello I’m looking for some urgent help and advice. Thanks in Vance for your time and comments.
my Goldfish has had Swim Bladder problems for 6 days. Today she developed red streaks in her tail fins.
I moved her from her main tank 52Ltrs into a ‘hospital tank’ after ammonia readings tested through the roof. Ammonia spike.

I first gave tank 2 x 50% water changes then got a new tank 20Ltrs where she is now.
(I had introduced new food ‘Bug Bites’ which I think had been quietly decomposing. Possible over feeding issue?)
I cleaned the tank about 5 weeks ago and may have indirectly removed much of the good bacteria?
Lily is nearly 17 years old and has been in very good health up until last week. She is our first and only Goldfish.
I stopped her food ( boring flakes but that’s been her preferred diet) from the time I first noticed her lying on her side in the bottom of the tank.
I have given her one salt bath today. ( one tsp per gallon of water in a large bowl separate from her hospital tank. (How often can I do this?)
She is keen to swim and moves around her tank but sinks to the bottom and then flops on her side.
I did give her a suggested measure of Interpet ‘swim bladder treatment’ four days ago.
I put new filters in the hospital tank ( charcoal and fine sponge)
The tank is clear of any gravel so that she doesn’t harm herself lying around on the bottom of the tank
pH reading is good.
She had one long poo yesterday - the first for days
She isn’t interested in eating the cooked, mashed pea suggested in other articles.
Any suggestions welcome of how can I turn things around to bring her back to good health and an upright position would be greatly appreciated.
Amazing how attached we can become to our little fish pals.
Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• 93E23DAB-B95E-49CA-97CE-69AEC44B5FF0.jpeg
    93E23DAB-B95E-49CA-97CE-69AEC44B5FF0.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 18
  • FB3D85F5-2794-48E7-B8D7-0F9EEA5718F2.jpeg
    FB3D85F5-2794-48E7-B8D7-0F9EEA5718F2.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 19

gms38

Poor sweet fish!! I cannot believe she is 17 years old! Hopefully the salt will fix her up. I have had a simular situation with goldfish and the salt fixed him right up. They are very sensitive to ammonia. I would definitely do a big change on the hospital tank tomorrow. I have put goldfish in salt for 2-3 days before. The red streaks should disappear fairly quickly in the absence of ammonia.
Oh and in the future, goldfish really enjoy roughage and greenery. It keeps them healthy as well. You can blanch zuchinni, lettuce and many other veggies. They like to eat hornwort as well. I call mine "seacows"

Upvote 0

NevermindIgnoreMe

What are the water parameters? Make sure to keep the water clean by doing a water change once a week in a normal tank with healthy fish, but since she's sick water changes are all the more important. If you rarely change the water nitrates and other parameters can rise to be too high, and when a water change finally happens the sudden huge change from the high amounts of nitrates can shock the fish.

Upvote 0

Babette

What are the water parameters? Make sure to keep the water clean by doing a water change once a week in a normal tank with healthy fish, but since she's sick water changes are all the more important. If you rarely change the water nitrates and other parameters can rise to be too high, and when a water change finally happens the sudden huge change from the high amounts of nitrates can shock the fish.
Hi NevermindIgnoreMe
All thanks for your suggestions. I have been changing the water every few days -maybe 25% in the hospital tank. Ph good, KH & GH good. Nitrate good. Nitrite and ammonia not good thus change of some water and addition of API Goldfish protect to fresh water.
I have given Lily Epsom Salt Baths which perks her up. Someone said that it acts like an elixir for fish. (!)
She seems pretty perked up afterwards. I am just realising that she has now had Swim Bladder issues for three weeks. The Small Exotics & Fish Vet will charge £40 for a consultation then £400-500 for a medical procedure. This is extortionate. (Too prohibitive for me.) I saw a video of a guy in Canada who constructed a flotation device from Aquarium Air pump accessories for their fish with success. (£8.99 and some time to construct)

I have ordered the kit and will look at video to construct a flotation device for Lily.

The thing is I think that Lily continues to have a strong lust for life and is trying really hard to straighten herself upright and swim around. She is still too full of life to consider euthanasia. She ignored the introduction of the skinned, cooked pea but loves the Daphnia I introduced so is eating once more. Good! Ho - hum...
Blimey -who would have thought that I would be giving all this time to my Goldfish. It seems important though.
Hello I’m looking for some urgent help and advice. Thanks in advance for your time and comments.
my Goldfish has had Swim Bladder problems for 6 days. Today she developed red streaks in her tail fins.
I moved her from her main tank 52Ltrs into a ‘hospital tank’ after ammonia readings tested through the roof. Ammonia spike.

I first gave tank 2 x 50% water changes then got a new tank 20Ltrs where she is now.
(I had introduced new food ‘Bug Bites’ which I think had been quietly decomposing. Possible over feeding issue?)
I cleaned the tank about 5 weeks ago and may have indirectly removed much of the good bacteria?
Lily is nearly 17 years old and has been in very good health up until last week. She is our first and only Goldfish.
I stopped her food ( boring flakes but that’s been her preferred diet) from the time I first noticed her lying on her side in the bottom of the tank.
I have given her one salt bath today. ( one tsp per gallon of water in a large bowl separate from her hospital tank. (How often can I do this?)
She is keen to swim and moves around her tank but sinks to the bottom and then flops on her side.
I did give her a suggested measure of Interpet ‘swim bladder treatment’ four days ago.
I put new filters in the hospital tank ( charcoal and fine sponge)
The tank is clear of any gravel so that she doesn’t harm herself lying around on the bottom of the tank
pH reading is good.
She had one long poo yesterday - the first for days
She isn’t interested in eating the cooked, mashed pea suggested in other articles.
Any suggestions welcome of how can I turn things around to bring her back to good health and an upright position would be greatly appreciated.
Amazing how attached we can become to our little fish pals.
Thanks for reading.
Many thanks for your replies.

Upvote 0

NevermindIgnoreMe

Hi NevermindIgnoreMe
All thanks for your suggestions. I have been changing the water every few days -maybe 25% in the hospital tank. Ph good, KH & GH good. Nitrate good. Nitrite and ammonia not good thus change of some water and addition of API Goldfish protect to fresh water.
I have given Lily Epsom Salt Baths which perks her up. Someone said that it acts like an elixir for fish. (!)
She seems pretty perked up afterwards. I am just realising that she has now had Swim Bladder issues for three weeks. The Small Exotics & Fish Vet will charge £40 for a consultation then £400-500 for a medical procedure. This is extortionate. (Too prohibitive for me.) I saw a video of a guy in Canada who constructed a flotation device from Aquarium Air pump accessories for their fish with success. (£8.99 and some time to construct)

I have ordered the kit and will look at video to construct a flotation device for Lily.

The thing is I think that Lily continues to have a strong lust for life and is trying really hard to straighten herself upright and swim around. She is still too full of life to consider euthanasia. She ignored the introduction of the skinned, cooked pea but loves the Daphnia I introduced so is eating once more. Good! Ho - hum...
Blimey -who would have thought that I would be giving all this time to my Goldfish. It seems important though.

Many thanks for your replies.
I have seen those devices, they can be really stressful for the fish, and can hurt them by rubbing against them so much. If the treatment you are currently using is going well, I'd just keep it up and look for improvement. I'm so glad she's doing well! You may want to invest in some floating plants (should cost about the same or maybe even less as the device) to help keep her from touching the surface.

Upvote 0

Babette

Thanks again for your kind reply.
I made the flotation thingy and she just slipped out of it. I made it very carefully and the materials were light however I agree with you -it is still cumbersome.
So now she lies on her side on the bottom of the fishtank ( she can't float) but regularly flips herself upright and swims about until she sinks again. It's very sad as I can see that she is super keen to get herself going. Not sure what the answer is. She doesn't seem to be in distress. I will give her an Epsom Salt bath weekly.

Upvote 0

gms38

Im so sorry she is disabled now. She seems to be coping well. Don't give up on feeding her peas and green things. Its good for her digestion. She is very long lived!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Odieandbutternut
  • Goldfish
Replies
Views
CrackerboxPalace
  • Question
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies