Goldfish With Red Lines In Tail

Sarah1230ox

Hello, so ive had my goldfish for 9 months and shes always had red lines to a degree in just her white tail. And I was stupid enough to do an fish in cycle so know I probably caused some of it, but my tank is completely cycled now. 90 litres ammonia -0 nitrite -0 nitrate -5\10 I do two small water changes a week about 40% each time. But the lines in his tail never go! And everyone always says its bad water but mine is fine. So can they be normal? He eats fine, swims fine, has grown. Heres some pics tho not that great! Thanks.
IMG_20190705_230731.jpg

IMG_20190705_230734.jpg

Kiks

What other fish are in the tank?

Sarah1230ox

Kiks said:
What other fish are in the tank?
7 danio and 3 platy plus another goldfish. So yes I know ill need to upgrade at some point, but my levels are fine

Sarah1230ox

Also none of them harras the goldfish they stay away

Kiks

I wouldn't say you need to upgrade at some point, I'd say you need to upgrade very soon since your tank is very overstocked. As far as I know it's 20 - 30 gallons for the first fantail and 10 gallons for each additional so technically they should be housed in something around 112 - 151 liters. Then adding the danios and platys and the tank should be even larger.
When it comes to the size of the tank it's not only a matter of keeping water parameters on point, but also a matter of space to swim etc. If the tank is too crammed it can cause aggression and stress leading to illness.

Sarah1230ox

Kiks said:
I wouldn't say you need to upgrade at some point, I'd say you need to upgrade very soon since your tank is very overstocked. As far as I know it's 20 - 30 gallons for the first fantail and 10 gallons for each additional so technically they should be housed in something around 112 - 151 liters. Then adding the danios and platys and the tank should be even larger.
When it comes to the size of the tank it's not only a matter of keeping water parameters on point, but also a matter of space to swim etc. If the tank is too crammed it can cause aggression and stress leading to illness.
I understand what your saying but at the moment they are in what I can afford, I will upgrade when I can. They have plenty of room! People say about the size they need...my aunty has had a goldfish in a 20 litre tank for 6 years before I got her a 60 litre...so I don't agree with them being kept in small tanks but thwy can survive and grow and my fish aren't suffering....all my levels are great considering the fish I have, the tank is two foot long 23 gallons and fine for now imo. I plan on getting a bigger one when I can.

Kiks

Sarah1230ox said:
I understand what your saying but at the moment they are in what I can afford, I will upgrade when I can. They have plenty of room! People say about the size they need...my aunty has had a goldfish in a 20 litre tank for 6 years before I got her a 60 litre...so I don't agree with them being kept in small tanks but thwy can survive and grow and my fish aren't suffering....all my levels are great considering the fish I have, the tank is two foot long 23 gallons and fine for now imo. I plan on getting a bigger one when I can.
They may be able to survive in a 20 liter or 60 liter tank, but they won't live a nice life and they definitely won't grow to the size they're meant to. Hence they do suffer.

I see you've also posted about having issues with your platys. Housing them properly will normally solve a lot of these problems.
I get that you can't afford an upgrade, I just wish people waited to buy the fish for when they had the proper aquarium for them.

Sarah1230ox

Kiks said:
They may be able to survive in a 20 liter or 60 liter tank, but they won't live a nice life and they definitely won't grow to the size they're meant to. Hence they do suffer.

I see you've also posted about having issues with your platys. Housing them properly will normally solve a lot of these problems.
I get that you can't afford an upgrade, I just wish people waited to buy the fish for when they had the proper aquarium for them.
I did say I didn't agree! And yes one fish with an aggressive temperament. All my other fish aren't like that and ive read that this is quite common for male platy...... I asked for simple advice about the lines...not a lecture on everything I'm doing. I know they need a bigger tank and I plan on upgrading when I can.

Skavatar

that's actual normal for a white tail b/c there's no color pigments, the arteries that supply blood to the tail are much more visible. I can't get a good pic b/c mine don't stay still. google or bing "white goldfish" and look at the s.

b5153a08b92efd1a83e81d43e608b589.jpg

17800242.jpg

a4d0ff0800e0f6777181112a9b49a1b8.jpg

Sarah1230ox

Skavatar said:
that's actual normal for a white tail b/c there's no color pigments, the arteries that supply blood to the tail are much more visible. I can't get a good pic b/c mine don't stay still. google or bing "white goldfish" and look at the s.

b5153a08b92efd1a83e81d43e608b589.jpg

17800242.jpg

a4d0ff0800e0f6777181112a9b49a1b8.jpg
Thank you!!!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom