Goldfish With Possible ICH

1. OUTINFRONT Member Member

Pretty sure i may have ich as well in my gold fish tank, bought two cheap common gold fish and one has a few tiny white dots and seems to be loosing scales.It almost looks like her gill plate fell off and was stuck to the filter intake.Should have known better to add more fish as my tank is still un cycled after 6 long frustrating weeks.Any advise on curing gold fish with ich.?Not to thread jack just thought it better to ask here since it was being discussed.I already added aquarium salt but am unsure if i should raise the temp.?

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

:animal0068:Here is your new thread.

Thanks!

Ken

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I never use aquarium salt, and would get it out. The best way to cure ich is using heat. I'm pretty sure there is a sticky about how to cure ich with heat.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-fish-disease/68607-my-goldfish-has-ich.html

In the link it above, stated by Gremlin, she has had good success with Ich Attack to treat Goldfish Ich.

Warmer water can be hard on Goldfish so you may not want to use the increased heat method.

Increased Heat Method:
    I have also used the increased heat method with a 100% survival rate. Some information may be repeated below along with some that is new.

Increase the tanks temperature to 86 degrees and leave it there for a full two week period. Even if the fish appear to be free of the parasite, leave the temperature increased for the full two weeks. Raise the temperature slowly throughout the day. 2 degrees per hour should be fine.

Warmer water requires more oxygen so adding an air stone/supply line may help.

Do two gravel vacuums each week to remove the spores that fall off the fish and into the substrate. Make sure the new water is the same (86) temperature as what is in the tank.

Adding Garlic Guard or garlic juice onto the fish food 2 or 3 times each week will help to boost the fishes immune system. (link below for garlic juice):
    minced garlic in a jar..just an example for those needing it
    Garlic Guard:
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/198657/product.web
    Making your own juice, recipe:
    "Benefits of garlic:

Purifies blood; detoxifies; lowers cholesterol levels; lowers blood pressure; blood thinner; prevents blood clots; boost immune system; prevents heart disease and strokes; destroys cancer cells; muscle relaxant; antibiotic; antifungal; suppresses growth of tumors
    Using a medium size bulb; peel cloves apart, snip off ends; microwave cloves for 5 to 10 seconds to pop hulls; remove hulls; cut the length of the cloves in thin slices; place in cup of hot (from tap) water; cover, and let sit at room temperature for 12 hrs; mash the cloves and strain for immediate use; refrigerate until needed. good for two to three weeks.
    The longer the cloves soak, the stronger the solution."

The information above comes from the link below:
    GoldFish Emergency 911

Vita Chem (for additional vitamins) added to the fish food and directly into the tank will help the fishes overall health. Follow the directions on the bottle.
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/196391/product.web

It's been my experience that salt isn't necessary with the heat treatment.

I highly recommend Quarantine for all new fish:
    Quick and dirty quarantine setup

Best wishes for your fish!

Ken

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Many goldfish ponds approach 90 degrees in the summer. They are temperate fish which means they live in warmer water in the summer and cooler water in the winter. 2 weeks in warm water isn't anything to be concerned about.

6. OUTINFRONT Member Member

Well i lost another fish and the other one who looks to have itch just has one spot where his top fin meets his body.Still not sure this is what they have it is a fairly large white thing.Just visited with a friend who started a new aquarium 3 weeks ago and has a 10 gallon with two red finned sharks and another fish in it,i asked him what he was doing to maintain and he said nothing...Has not changed the water once and his fish looked happy with no fish loss.HERE I AM 7 WEEKS IN doing daily water changes and can't keep gold fish alive...:;fru About 2 throw in the towel...???

7. orandagal Member Member

Outinfront, I'm really sorry to hear you are having so many problems, hang in there and don't give up yet. I'm sure you will get the answers you need here. I'm still new myself and am unfamiliar with your situation. Have you had fish before, and do you have a smaller tank you could move the sick fish to? I'm confused also as to why the daily water change? I've probably missed a bunch of info posted before so please forgive me.
    The fish were probably sick or getting sick when you bought them, which isn't your fault. I've been down that road myself, and there are only two places now that I will buy my fish from because they have always lived and been healthy. I'm really sorry and feel your pain, I hope you get the answer you need to help you out.

8. OUTINFRONT Member Member

It is a long story but thanks my biggest issue is i found .25 ammonia in my well water so all my water changes were hurting instead of helping.The reason for all the water changes are because i cant keep ammonia level down.Now that i found my well water has it i have been using tank buddies ammonia remover in my buckets of fresh water but it has been dropping my levels to 0 which i think is starving my bacteria making it a never ending cycle..

9. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:;scorpionI have a tank with fish that are particularly susectable to Nitrite levels and so I was keeping them at 0 by changing the water every day in a 60 gallon tank. At least 25% and I used Prime to nullify the ammonia and nitrate that was there when it eeked up. I wrote a thread thinking that my cycle would never end because it had been 10 weeks. Literally three days after I wrote the thread the nitrates started to show up and my tank cycled. So hang in there. It just takes time and patience. If you are doing large water changes, it just takes a little longer. Don't give up it will come just take a deep breath and be patient.:;sharkie1

10. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

If you already have ammonia in your water, you could look into getting a bottle of Prime. In addition to being a standard water conditioner (detoxifying chlorine and chloramine...though if you have well water, you probably don't have those), it also detoxifies ammonia for 24 hours.

11. spdrbob Member Member

:;toast on Prime suggestion. My tanks seem to be settling much better after using Prime.

12. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I haven't been using it in mine for very long, but I have yet to read a negative review about it.

A warning though...the stuff smells awful! It doesn't make the tank water smell since you use so little, but don't smell the bottle too closely!

13. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

yes, and don't spill it on the carpet ;)