Goldfish with other fish??

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Hamham, Jul 29, 2015.

1. H

Hamham New Member Member

I have 5 guppies 5 lyretail mollies and 5 serpea tetra in my 20 gallon aquarium. I was wondering if I could put in a few common goldfish that grow to about 6 inches???

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Common goldfish can get 18" or more & are not tropical fish, keeping them in high temperature can shorten their lifespan, imo they're best kept in a pond

3. Reyes

Reyes Valued Member Member

Exactly, you will be mixing cold water with tropical fish. On top of that, 20g is not enough for 1 fancy Goldfish, let alone a Common.

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Besides what's been mentioned about goldfish, lyretail mollies should have at least a 30g.....

5. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Besides whats already been said, goldfish as they grow will try and eat anything that will fit into their mouths including guppies. They're best with their own kind :)

6. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Although 5 lyretail mollies would make a 30g WAY overstocked, in terms of bioload, so he would need an even bigger tank in this case.

7. CindiL

Hmmm, I have four lyretails and many other fish in my 33 long but my plants take care of the bio-load so I guess some of that will depend on the setup. Lyretails aren't big like balloons. They get up to around 4" max long though like any other molly. Its funny because AQ Advisor only shows me at 80% stocked with my fish (below in my sig).

Are you thinking of sailfin mollies maybe?

8. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yea that's probably it. But the average person wont have the amount of plants you have, or the nitrate land plants, so they'd probably be overstocked.

9. CindiL

Well thats true about the plants! You'd laugh if you saw my 10g with the 50 or so molly fry. Some are about an inch now so I'm going to see about taking them to the local pet store this weekend.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice