30 Gallon Tank Goldfish with lumps - would you add her to a new tank setup?

Billyc117

Hi,

I’ve had this goldfish for 4 years and has been tankmate to 2 other goldies who both died from internal bacterial infections. My water is changed weekly and parameters are all as they should be consistently. I have set up a 63 gallon tank with some new goldfish with the intention of adding this older fish in after a couple of weeks. I’m hesitant to do this due to the lumps and bumps she has on her body, some of which have appeared recently. Looking for advice on whether this is a known treatable condition and would you experienced keepers dare add her to a new aquarium in this condition? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Should have said that previous advice on the big lump on top right side was a cancerous tumor. The other white lumps are new in the past 2 weeks.

Attachments

• 6E2C7B96-2E5F-4465-9BC2-988971BEE588.jpeg
    6E2C7B96-2E5F-4465-9BC2-988971BEE588.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 7
  • E8E1A33C-C0DF-4068-A34F-A422B5E22C36.jpeg
    E8E1A33C-C0DF-4068-A34F-A422B5E22C36.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 7
  • D0DC9144-1F4B-4D89-88A6-EF95D0804088.jpeg
    D0DC9144-1F4B-4D89-88A6-EF95D0804088.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 7

bcfishtanks

I would not add her in until you identify what you think the issue is. Research lymphocystic and see if you can find any similarities there.

Do you know what the internal bacterial infection that the other two fish had was? Had you tried to treat that at all?

Billyc117

Thanks for your response. I will research lymphocystic. From what I can see initially there may well be similarities with this condition. Over the past couple of years I have treated this fish and the most recent deceased fish with Melafix, API White Spot Treatment and an internal anti-bacterial medicine. I’m in the UK so can’t get hold of proper anti-biotics without visiting a vet. None of these affected the living fish either way and apart from the lumps she has shown no signs of illness at all in that time, even when the other two were ill

The first fish to die was about 18 months ago. It developed an abdominal swelling that I treated with Melafix and the internal bacteria treatment. When I found her dead one morning her skin was ruptured at the abdomen on the left side. I suspected dropsy but not diagnosed. The most recent fish who died showed similar symptoms but did respond initially to the bacterial treatment. It did develop ich during that time but I cleared that up. It wasn’t eating latterly and also had swollen abdomen, particularly left side. Again, suspected dropsy though both dead fish bought from same store and also think it may have been genetic kidney problem. I’ll never know but new fish bought from elsewhere.

I’m inclined to leave her on her lonesome in the tank I was going to get rid of as I don’t want to kill the new fish though my wife thinks differently!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kparr
Replies
Views
AKaqua
Replies
Views
robd123
Replies
Views