Goldfish With Hemorrhagic Septicemia - Need Help Urgently

Koichan

Reaction score
Hi. I am back in town. I bought a 30 gallon tank, some silk plants, and gravel. I bought a bigger and better filtration system which has three components and you change one of them at a time to preserve good bacteria. I will start using the new filter in the old tank to get that going while I set up the new tank. The water conditions in the old tank is much better. Thank you all for the advice.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That's great to hear! What filter did you get?

Koichan

Reaction score
I got Fluval AquaClear for 20-50 gallon tank. My tank is 30 gallon.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Nice! Remind me the media it comes with again, I think it's some ceramic rings, some sponges, and a carbon pad right?

Koichan

Reaction score

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ok, so their manual is going to tell you to replace the biomax...don't. That's where all the bacteria is so it's the same as replacing the carbon cartridge in most other filters. The sponge also just needs to be rinsed in tank water occasionally and only replaced once it's falling apart. The carbon should be replaced monthly, but you honestly don't need it all the time, just if you need to remove meds or something from the water

Nerium

Reaction score
Hi Koichan, can I just say how happy it made me to read this thread, I was very worried for your fish when I read your first post but it has been so good for my soul to see such a big positive change you've made for them in such a short time! Not everyone is so dedicated to taking on new fish info and running with it, you're a gem

Someone suggested earlier in the thread to have both new and old filters on the tank at the same time, I agree! I have goldfish and run multiple filters, lots of filtration is helpful with goldies and I also like the security of knowing if one of the filters dies, the tank will still be filtered and it's not an emergency.

With the carbon, I think it might be quite personal with whether ppl use it? Just for myself, I use the space to put some other filter media in there instead like more sponge or the little ceramic "noodles" you can get, to give more permanent growing space for beneficial bacteria

I hope your fish is looking a little happier now!

Koichan

Reaction score
Thank you for all your comments and input. I have two things I am wondering.

I started to use the new filter in the current tank, and now see small specs floating in the water. I thoroughly rinsed the biomax bits and the carbon filter using some tank water in a bucket. I am puzzled.

I also see almost no fish waste ever since I got my goldfish. Is it possible she is eating it?

My journey continues!

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That should eventually get picked up by the filter, or you can do a water change to get some of it out
She's definitely not eating her poo, it probably looks like there's less in a bigger tank

Koichan

Reaction score
Ok. I will keep a close eye on it, and do a bigger water change. Thank you!

Koichan

Reaction score
Today I am ready to set up a new tank and move my goldfish to the big tank. The new tank is washed with just water. The new silk plants and gravel are washed with some tank water from the existing tank. Here is what I am planning on doing. I would appreciate any comment or feedback.

1. Place gravel, silk plants, and rocks from the existing tank in the new tank.
2. Add water and the conditioner enough to check the placement of the gravel and plants.
3. Fill the tank and place the filter systems.
4. Add Safe Start, and check the chemicals.
5. Move the fish and the water from the existing tank to the new tank.

I have been using the new Fluval filter system in the existing tank for two days now. I will just move the filter systems to the new tank without washing them. I hope this works!

Koichan

Reaction score
Hi. It's been a week since I set up a big (29 gallon) tank and moved my fish Koichan to the big tank. My son suggested a visit to a local fresh water aquarium store. I got some advice and products such as Stability and Alkaline Buffer. It's been a week, and the water is still a little cloudy, but the water conditions are right. I think this crisis is over. Thank you so much for all your comments, advice, and support.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Koichan said:
Hi. It's been a week since I set up a big (29 gallon) tank and moved my fish Koichan to the big tank. My son suggested a visit to a local fresh water aquarium store. I got some advice and products such as Stability and Alkaline Buffer. It's been a week, and the water is still a little cloudy, but the water conditions are right. I think this crisis is over. Thank you so much for all your comments, advice, and support.
Good job. Thank you for the update. Please refresh my memory. What is the PH of your source water? I am wondering why the folks at the store recommended the alkaline buffer. It is best to work with the water we have than to try to chase a particular number by adding stuff to control it.

Koichan

Reaction score
Hi. Thank you for your message. The store recommended Alkaline Buffer because my pH was low. I just tested the pH of my source water: tap water. It is 7.6. The chemicals of the water sample I brought over to the aquarium store were: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10 - 20, pH 6.2, Alkalinity (KH) 0 - 1 (40 measured with my API 5 in 1 test strip), Hardness (GH, 30 measured with my API 5 in 1 test strip). So what would bring the pH up or down? Ammonia?

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A lot of times the cycling process will lower the PH. With your source water having a PH of 7.6 just simply doing water changes should stabilize your PH where it needs to be. It is never a good idea to use any of the many products on the market to change it unless absolutely necessary. In your case it isn't.

If you find that the PH continually drops between water changes (it shouldn't once the cycle is established) you could add some crushed coral to help stabilize it. I have very soft water so add crushed coral and seashells to my tanks to keep my PH stable. They very very slowly dissolve thus raising the hardness of my water so in turn it keeps my PH stable.

Koichan

Reaction score
Thank you for your comments. I will try crushed coral and seashells. Off to the aquarium store!

Koichan

Reaction score
Dear Fishlore friends, advisors, and encouragers,
I have been meaning to give you an update on Koichan. Her ammonia burn is almost all gone, and her tank is stable without algae. I have tried a combination of many things that were suggested on this site and by my aquarium store. I think what was most helpful was moving her tank to a location in the house where it gets very little direct sun, more diligent water change, and close monitoring of water conditions. She seems happier in a bigger tank. Thank you for all your advice on behalf of Koichan!

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you so much for the update. I love seeing happy endings. I am so glad your little girl is now living the good life. :)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom