goldfish with guppy?

1. free.will77

free.will77 Valued Member Member

Hi all
    can I keep gold fish about 10 cm wth guppies, and neons? it seems they don't have anything to do with each other but I lost the mother of my guppy fries this morning and I feel guilty because I put the gold fish in the main tank. and I liked it so much.
    by the way two day before I bought 3 male guppies but yesterday I found one of them dead, it was beautiful. but at first there was a small area in top of his head that didn't have any flakes, the guppy was about 3.5 cm. do you think is there any problem with the goldfish?

2. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Generally it is not recommended to keep Goldfish with tropical fish such as guppy's due to them having different temperature requirements.

3. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

You also have a betta in this tank, right? If it's a male betta, they don't do well with other long finned fish and it's quite possible that it attacked your guppy.

4. w

wonton55912 Valued Member Member

goldfish produce waste more than tropical fish so it may have been the ammonia from the waste that killed your guppies.
    sorry for your losses

5. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm so sorry about your fish :(
    Is your aquarium info up to date? I ask because if those same fish are in your tank, there coud have been agression issues.
    Have you tested your water?

For your original question, I agree with jdhef as well as goldies can grow pretty big and make a snack of small fish.

6. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Sorry for your losses, again I have to agree that keeping goldies with tropicals is not the best.

I really hope you get this sorted and get to the bottom of the problem. Keep us updated!

7. w

wonton55912 Valued Member Member

BTW Welcome to fishlore

8. OP
    OP
    free.will77

free.will77 Valued Member Member

I keep 2 Harlequin Rasboras and 2 male guppies and 2 neon tetras and a catfish and one goldfish together, the betta fish is in another tank, I keep it seperately.
    If you think the goldfish is gonna kill the other fishes, please tell me soon

9. R

Rmachines New Member Member

I have had two fancy gold fish, four neons, four guppys and some platys! they gold fish always seem to mind their own bussiness to be honnest! i have certainly never known them to cause a problem.

10. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

The goldfish isn't going to kill the other fish. Goldfish have different food requirements and different temperature requirements.

Some people keep them together, but in my opinion, that's not helping the fish to thrive.

There have also been articles written that keeping goldfish at higher temperatures decreases their life span.

I hope this helps;)

11. l

lanlesnee Well Known Member Member

Putting a side the different water needs of the two, I would think the gold fish would soon out grown the guppies and make a meal of them. I've seen big gold fish eat smaller gold fish, so it goes without saying they will or could eat the guppies at some point as they out grow the guppies.