Goldfish With Dropsy Help - Page 2

shih-tzu mom

SOF; Peek, is used to being handled and will stay in my hand as long as I let him. But to be truthful he don't look ready to turn over-although he is trying.I am turning him from side to side so he won't lose his slI'm coat on 1-side, but he is taking little bit's of food and his bowels are slowing starting to move.Poor baby never complains lol he's such a goos fish-and if anything happened to him I think I would quit with goldies. bella

soldieroffortune1974

Well we certainly don't you giving up from frustration. Peek a boo will get better,and I am glad you thought about turning him so 1 side doesn't lose the slime coating from getting dried. I didn't even think about it,good call.

shih-tzu mom

Yeah, SOF he was getting a little red the other day sI I thought I better turn him. At least he's not on his back he seems more on his sides now. bella

shih-tzu mom

Hi: all, well not much of a change today still on one side or the other.He ate a few b/w and how much longer can he go on? this is day 6-and i'm begining to wonder how long he can hold out ? I just don't know how long fish can go-before it is concidered suffering -as that is the last thing I want for this little man--Poor Peek maybe it is something else along with parisites as I don't know how long that it can take to get well. any help would be much appreciated.bella

Lucy

I was wondering how he was doing. Thanks for the update. Is he still bloated?
Have fed him peas?

shih-tzu mom

He still won't take the pea's Lucy but he is taking very little dalphina and b/w so his bowels are working a little but not enough lol. His swelling is going down as I am using epson salts every 2-days but how long can he go on like this without suffering?? Whatever kind of paristes he's got they really got a hold of him. bella

Lucy

Poor little guy, he's lucky to have you.
If he seems to be improving, give him more time to recover, he was so large in that pic it might take a while.

shih-tzu mom

Lucy-I am going to post another pic now lol as it is hard for me to tell-this pic coming up it his tratment tank with a home-made sling to keep him comfy and so he won't struggle bella

shih-tzu mom

Sorry Lucy wrong pic, will try again -ok, Lucy here is the recent pic of him just now and what you see there is some b/w's and a bit of feces. Doe's he look better to you ?? bella

Lucy

Poor little guy. I think it looks like the bloating has gone down a bit.
Have you fasted him?

shih-tzu mom

Yes, about 2-days to start with, but he's being treated for parisites,and he needs some strengh to fight them off lol but he;s only getting little bits 2-times for the day, I think if I fasted him again he would die lol as he is very week bella

Lucy

Maybe only give him daphnia, if he's blocked up the daphnia would help but he'll still get some nutrition.
Wish I could help you more bella.

shih-tzu mom

Some -good news Lucy- I just checked him and his bowles look better after eating lol so maybe he will improve with some good b/w's+ dalphina bella

Lucy

Sending get well prayers to you an Peek

shih-tzu mom

Ah, we both need them as I am sick now as well bad rash and vomitng for 3-days-it never rains but it pours, so I am going back to bed for now and will post again tonight thanks Lucy bella

Update on Peek-he is still the same, but ate some dalphina, b/w, and a little shrimp. I am going to grind some pea's, spinach, and brocclI later for him and see if he will take that and things are moving in small amounts ;lol and he apperaed very hunngrey this motning but I did not over do it.Please all say a fish prayer for him so I can see him swim again. bella

KrisT

hang in there shih-tzu mom. Sounds like you take better care of fish than some people do their own kids. I'm glad he has an appetite! Hopefully he will be swimming around Soon!!!

shih-tzu mom

KrisT; thanks for the support we both well need it as it has been 8-days today and a little disheartiing.but he is getting hungrey lol and I think that's a good sign. his other end is working slowly but working.and the poor little tyke is not moving too much just his fins on his tummy, but at least their moving. His both eyes have remained closed through this but has opened one eye last night lol. And it seems a little weird both eyes would be shut. But 1-opened, so i'm hoping he will improve soon and I am just going to give him a little to eat. Thank the Lord he don't fear my hand or he would be dead from starvation by now. Will update later. bella

kimb

Way to go Bella! It sounds like things are moving in the right direction! Thoughts and prayers with you..hope you are feeling better also!

shih-tzu mom

Thanks, Kimb; much appreciated. Still the same this morning and SOF; have a question for you. I have some gel-tek meds here and i'm wondering if I should give him some? It is for bacterial infections? bella

soldieroffortune1974

I don't have much experience or info on gel-tek medications.Let me know what you have (as stated on the package) and I can do some research and get back to you. How is Peek a boo responding to the meds so far?How is he today?

shih-tzu mom

Still the same SOF; but he is hungrey and the other end working a little and swelling gone down somewhat-but I think there is something else wrong with him as he is not responding to well and this is day-8-and still no trying to swim lol.Gel-Tec meds that fish eat for bacterial, and gram positive and negetive and it says for fin-rot, and for swelling in fish-ulcers, and sores but I have to try something or I may lose him.-neomycin says also on lable., appartantly used for a broad range of bacterial diseases in fish. bella

soldieroffortune1974

Well neomyacin is a form of Kenamyacin,definitely a good medication. Peek a boo has shown progress so I am loathe to throw something else at him,like extra medication,but his case is fairly serious and may warrant an extra script,least wise it won't do any harm. I don't know how the 2 meds will work together,(that is something I have been trying to document for a future article.) That's what I am concerned with,in his weakened state it would be easy to over dose any meds.

OK,let's try this....... change the water and give him a dose of the gel-tek meds as detailed on the package. Don't give him the parasite med,until you know he isn't having something going wrong from the gel-tek. If he's ok in a couple of hours,then give him the jungle meds,follow both directions the best you can, if there's any conflicting directions,such as water change/no water change do what would be least harmful for peek a boo.

Peek a boo has shown improvement,so I don't want to stop giving him the parasite med, so let's see how it turns out for him.Keep us posted. Good luck.

shih-tzu mom

SOF; he is still showing white stringey pooh, so I will try the Gel-Tec as it is a food and it says to feed for 3-days and then I will go on with the parisite treatment lol thanks loads SOF; I just feel at this point he may need something else and he is showing a white kind of film showing around him. And I might add all through this his eyes have remained cllosed and 1-opened yesterday. What do you think bella

soldieroffortune1974

Well I think he is hanging in there and fighting to stay with you.He cares about you as much as you care about him.He doesn't want to leave anymore than you want him to,so together he will be back to something approaching normal in due time. Severe Bloat from parasites can take a long time to correct the damage. It happens in no time and is a long road to recovery,but you 2 are hanging in there.That's what I think.So let's see what this added routine does for him.

shih-tzu mom

OK, SOF; and I do very much appreciate your time and trouble, with Peek-but he is a very important family member to me and I don't want to lose him.- I am also thinking how long can he go on suffering before I have to intervine or God has too? As I don't want him to suffer too much longer SOF; I just could not stand it for him. I keep waking each morning hoping he will show some swim effort-but not yet he is very weak, and I turn him 3-4-times a day lol and he just lies there in my hand.I think his time is very close -bella

soldieroffortune1974

I definitely understand your feelings of not wanting to lose him. Don't throw in the towel just yet.He will let you know what he needs from you,and if it's time for him to stop fighting,he will let you know that too.You can only do so much,The rest is in God's hands. Parasites as I said can be a long,slow road to recovery because they take everything out of him,literally.Energy,nutrients,strength,everything and the body needs the time to rebuild itself.SO,it's a long process but not an impossible 1. Hang in ther as long as Peek a boo is,he will let you know what he needs.You've done a great job helping him along this far.

shih-tzu mom

SOF; No, I won't give up as long as he is trying lol, and I just changed him again and he is in just!!! clear water, and I added 4-drops of Gel-tec-which he took 2-drops of. And it say's not to feed anything else, and to treat for for 3-day's and his little fins are flipping when I check on him lol-I think he knows i'm there.But he is so weak- that is why I have been feeding b/w-b/s, and trying veggies-to give him that added strengh lol. What do you think SOF-should I go with med directions and not give him any food or feed a little to keep up his strength??The food-gel-tec says nothing and treat every 24-hours. And thanks as always bella

soldieroffortune1974

From what I have been able to find out,the gel-tek meds is a food (crude proteins anyway) so giving him the gel-tek is giving him medicated foods,so I would follow the directions and not feed anything else. There's no ned to keep thanking me,you and peek a boo are doing all the hard work,and any help I can provide is my pleasure and all the thanks I need.

So, the meds say treat 1 time every 24 hours and feed nothing else,then that's how you need to play it,and see how it turns out. It's good he is flapping his fins,it's a sign towards progress.

Red1313

Sometimes with Parasites when they let go inside they leave wounds that can become infected. That may be something to keep in mind...

shih-tzu mom

Yes, Red; and thank-you I am giving him medicated food-and this morning his swelling is done a lot and lots of white stringy 'pooh' coming away from him.Seems more alert as well. Just maybe he will show a little more progress. bella
---------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry, all-I should have given a proper update this morning. Peek looks more vibrant no slI'm covering him and trying to open 1-eye lol and I held him and took him for a very short swim this morning. A lot of white 'Pooh' coming from him-it is clear he has worms of some sort, no doubt there lol. And he appears hungrey again-poor boy can't feed him. Day-9-and just now seen a very small improvement lol. About time or this thread will go on forever, swelling has greatlly improved so I will wait until his medicated food is done and continue with parisite treatment. Still seeing no sign's of parisites only the symptems of them.I wonder if this is the remain's of the anchor worm's? He had a bad case of those lol. and I thought we had got them all.I am seeing no actual worms just sign's of them-internal. SOF; good new's for a change-bella

kimb

Way to go Bella Great to hear some good news! Keep up the good work, sound like your baby is getting beter

shih-tzu mom

Kimb; Again, thanks for the support lol Yeah, it looks a little more promising lol so hopefully more good news tomorrow. bella

Lucy

Thanks for thr update, things are looking up!

shih-tzu mom

I sure hope so Lucy, but his swelling is deff; down and looking all in all a lot brighter and thanks for all your support Lucy as alway's bella

Little update on Peek tonight- changed him and gave gel-tec and he really was not interested in it tonight lol. He's very quiet tonight but I figure he's very weak and just plain not interested in nothing. Will see how he is in the morning. bella

Red1313

Sending fishy prayers out for him...
Prayer for Healing

"Oh, fishtailed Goddess Melusine,
One of the watery depths, serene,
Protect my fish and keep them safe
from fungus, wounds, and all ill-fate.
Keep them free of all disease,
and let them swim with grace and ease.
Bless them with your loving care,
Guard them, Melusine, hear my prayer!"
(author unknown)

soldieroffortune1974

I am glad to see peek a boo is showing progress. Keep up the good work (as I know you will) can you post another pic? no reason really,just wanted to see how he is coming along as opposed to the other pic.

shih-tzu mom

Yes, I can SOF- here is a pic of Peek-A-Boo day-10 and counting-bella

Oh, Red-that is beautiful-Thank You soo much -brought more tears to my eyes lol there has been a lot of them through this whole thing-Poor Peek- I hope the fishie Gods hear his prayers lol thanks bella

SOF: and everyone that is reading lol- new plan for Peek-with him being so weak I am going to feed 2-3-small meals of all protein for a couple of day's with just clear water and prime of course.I feel he needs some strengh to fight more lol-so- this morning he had some shrimp,b/w's, and dalphina, very little as today was his last treatment with the gel-tec.Day-11-and I know I should be really aggressive with these worms but he doe's need the strengh to fight them lol, as I feel I may lose him if he don't have the strengh.He ate but very little but at least a little-I will offer some more this afternoon and again tonight-now the amount is so very little as I know some of you worry about him swelling''Lucy' lol. but it is very little but enough to strenthen him. SOF What do you think??-bella

Lucy

Thanks for the update Bella. Looks like the swelling is going down and he's obviously 'going' lol
Daphnia has a lot of protein to keep his stength up and help keep things moving.
One day soon I just know we'll see Peek up and swimming around.

shih-tzu mom

Oh, Lucy that would be wonderful to see him swim lol as I haven't seen that in 11-days lol and yes he is going very little and all he is passing is white 'pooh' so diff; worms lol and lots of white always coming away.He has a new big 55-gallon waiting for him so he will be the first to go in it-if he is capable? I really wonder if all of this can damage his little brain in some way Lucy?He has always been a smart little cookie so I hoping there will be no damage if he is to survive[and he's trying to] bella

Red1313

He must be a really clever boy if he's being so good about letting you treat him. He knows that what you're doing is helping him feel better.
Keep us updated.

shih-tzu mom

Red; he surelly doe's know lol as he lays in my hand never trying to get away but then he will do that sick or not as I had to handle him a lot with the anchor worms-so I guess he got use to it knowing he would not be hurt. And I have to turn him so he don't loose any slimcoat lol thanks red-bella

Update on Peek's lunch lol-he took some b/w's and dalphina again and this time looking for more-I feel like a real cheapscate as he wants more and I couldn't give it to him lol didn't want to overload his tummy. He made a little kind of jump and I hope he is going to try to swim but has not. will update later when he has a late supper. bella

proudmomoftwins

Bella, I have yet started an aquarium but have been lurking on this forum and have been keeping up on Peek a Boo. It sounds like the two of you have been through a lot, and hopefully Peek continues to get better in your care. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Peek. Thanks for the update!

shih-tzu mom

Proudmomoftwins; thanks for the support and i'm just trying to get him well as he is my favourite lol and 1-of my first and we have been through a lot together. bella

Another update on Peek, he took his dalphina+b/w's-not a lot as I give him small amounts and he has been flipping his 2-top fins under his belly a lot today lol. Stool's ; all;most normal tonight-but still quite a bit of white stringy stuff in them. I think he is getting uncomfortable staying in 1-spot all the time ,maybe that is why the movement of his little fins so often today.It would be nice to see him on his belly tomorrow-instead of his back lol.SOF; What do you think of the 'Clout' meds for worms? I was thinking of it for the next treatment as the' jungle has' not done too much lol?? please respond-thanks bella

Update; this morning on Peek, he is not to lively this morning and did not eat to well either-I guess he's all pooped out from his fins moving so much yesterday lol.Well, hoping he is going to make it and if he doesn't it 's not for the lack of trying.SOF are you online? would like to ask you a question-bella

Lucy; Are there? I think SOF; is busy or off-line and i', wondering if I should give Peek some 'Clout' to treat him, as the jungle is not doing too much good. And tomorrow it's 14-day's and he needs something lol as he is not improving. Just lying in the same way as the pic-that can't be much of a life for him. I must try something as he has been to long suffering. bella

Lucy

Good morning Bella. I've been keeping up with this thread and saying fishy prayers for Peek.
Honestly, I don't know what to advise. He's been through an awful lot.
I was reading this article this morning and pics reminded me of Peek-a-Boo.

SOF had a lot of personal things going on otherwise I know he'd be here to help.
Has cerianthus posted here? you might want to try and pm him he's knowledgeable in fish disease.

shih-tzu mom

Hi:Lucy, I don't really know the one you are talking about-but I have seen his posts and was wishing he would tap into mine lol as I do think he would have some good advice. Poor Peek-to me he is just suffering but I have tI do something diff; as he is not responding. and I need help lol like asap-but what to do. Lucy-I just pm'd him and hope he will take a look-but it's an awful long post to go through if you have not been following. bella

Lucy

You've done so much for Peek. Keeping you both in my prayers.

shih-tzu mom

Lucy-if I don't get some more help I know!! I am going to loose him-I can tell by the way he is acting and it's making me sick to think I can't do, too much more for him. His slI'm coat is getting thicker when I turn him over and I really don't think he's got too long. I wish someone would come on lol I really need some expert advise if I am to save him. Lucy-he just took some b/w's and went off to sleep-he is flatly refusing pea's or dalphina now and just spits it back out-he wants the b/w's-so I will give it to him. he is in a salt bath right now until to-night, when I change him again.He just looks so bad lol but always responds to my voice. It is just breaking my heart to see him like this.He has both eyes closed and I don't know what that is all about. but I hope someone gets to me to-night with some idea's as this course of treatment is not working. bella

MaddieLynn

Any updates on him?

shih-tzu mom

Yes, Maddie; He's not doing so well.bella

shih-tzu mom

Sorry, for not updating but have been trying to figure a plan for Peek-as he was not doing so well This is day-14-and I have been researching and still am as to the best plan for him.At this point he almost needs a miracle-but he is still hanging in there-which gives me some hope for him. Will update later. bella

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jtjgg
Replies
Views
NevermindIgnoreMe
  • Question
40 Gallon Tank Goldfish with eggs
Replies
Views
NevermindIgnoreMe