Goldfish With Dropsy Help

shih-tzu mom

Peek-A-Boo, I found upside down this morning-he is a Oranda goldie lol and very fat lol. What should I treat him with? No feeding and pea's? and he there anything else I can do-please help asap as he is my favourite goldie. bella

Lucy

I'm so sorry Bella. Is he pine coned? If not, could it be swim bladder? If so, you can try feeding him bits of thawed frozen shelled pea.

shih-tzu mom

Yeah, Lucy it had to be Peek-but he is a big boy lol and eats too much and no Lucy he is not pined coned just upside down lol-but he can turn over to swim-but he stays on his back. at the bottom-so no food tonight lol and water change yesterday and 0-0-5 so all good.It had to be him lol like he has not been through enough with his worms lol bella

Lucy

Poor guy has been through a lot.
Fasting for a day or so then the peas should help him.
Good luck...keep up us posted.

shih-tzu mom

add to

Lucy-What is the swim bladder disease? I have not had time to look as I have people from england here and we are coming and going, and this just happened this morning lol. Lucy should I put him in a breeders box? I have one of those betta breeder things that would keep him straight up and keep him away from the food for the other guy's lol. But he is so big he won't be able to turn around lol but it will keep him up-right. bella

bettafish2816

i'm really sorry to hear that

here's some info on swim bladder

shih-tzu mom

Agabr123; I just read it and I think Lucy was right it is swim bladder disease lol and thanks for the link-so here's hoping. Do you think I should put him in a breeders box?-As he is a big boy and will not!!! be able to turn around? bella

Lucy

He might be better off where he is, being in a confined space like that might stress him if he can't turn around. Not to mention hurt himself. As long as he's not being picked on.
Swim bladder can be caused by several things. Poor water conditions, bacterial infection, gulping air, constipation or over eating.

shih-tzu mom

Lucy- I think it is the last three lol over-eating-constipation-gulping-air lol as he does all of that. I posted the wrong thing lol. It is swim bladder Lucy-right again as usuall lol. Thanks again Lucy for all your expert advise. much apprieciated and will keep you posted on his progress and thanks to-Agabr123; for the great link.And Lucy I will not put him in the breeders box-as I thought he was too big anyhow.I read were if, he does not respond to peas ect; that he has to be treated with med's lol? But I will try the fasting and peas first, and no the other goldies do not pick on him-they all get along great sleep together ect; perfect match of those-3-fish lol. and they all 6-are going into a 55-gallon as soon as it is seeded,thanks again.bella

Lucy

Let us know how he's doing. Good luck

bettafish2816

glad it helped good luck!

Sharkitty

I know this is OT, but why does lol appear all over your posts? I don't think you are laughing that much, right?

shih-tzu mom

If, you onley knew lol. better to laugh then cry-bella
-----------------------------------------------------
Update on Peek-A-Boo-he is not doing so well he has begun to float up to top, but when I nudge him he turns over and swims to the bottom.I did not feed anything tonight and will not for 2-more days and then I will offer pea's. lol, he looks like he swallowed a golf ball really bad and he has no interest in food right now and he's trying to rest, usually he comes for food 24-7 when he see's me-but not tonight.As I type this he is floating to the top again-I hope he makes it. I added some vitamins to his water and some garlic-gard so maybe that will help him a little. Will update tomorrow. bella
----------------------------------------------------------
Something really remarkable,that I would like to share with you all- the other 2-goldies are 1-on each side of him-it's almost like they are trying to balance him so he won't float lol bella
--------------------------------------------------------------
Another update on Peek-he is still the same and I lost his partner in crime Top-Hat to the same thing last night, he began to float and then died and he was a big boy as well Top-Hat-4/03/2009 rest in piece my sweet boy, you will be missed by me. bella

Lucy

I'm reall sorry you lost Top Hat. You give your fishies such love.
RIP Big guy.

bettafish2816

i'm so sorry you lost top hat

I hope peek-a-boo pulls through!

Red1313

Poor Peek-a-Boo

shih-tzu mom

yeah, Red-it's really hard watching him and doing so little for him. I have taken some dalphina out to thaw and I think I will have to syringe it into him as he is totally on his back. That appears the only way to get it into him. Poor little guy is really fighting as he is a fighter and has been right from the start. Need everyone's prayer's for him now, as it will help him i'm sure. thanks Red. bella
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hi: all, just used the syringe to give some dalphina to Peek-A-Boo and fed very slow as to not choke him as he is on his back and a little salt to relax him and I think I will have to syringe feed him the pea's lol as he is weak from not eating and also because he is floating.He took the dalphina very well as I held him in my hand upside down-he seems to be more comfortable that way, so hopefcfully he will take his pea's the same way lol. as I don't think he can turn over to eat chopped pea's so I will feed the same way.Dear Lord we need all of Fishlore's Prayer's for Peek right now and then some. bella
A question please- a few articales I have read said that when treating swim bladder problem's to raise the heater 3-4-degree's but I have never used a heater and the water is room temp any feedback would be appreciated. thanks in advance bella
---------------------------------------------------------------
Anybody around? no answer's here-urgent bella
----------------------------------------------------------------
Please see dropsey post Peek seems to be worse and I lost his buddy last night from the same thing-I think bella

Shawnie

if you post the dropsy link here bella, it will help for a faster response instead of making others look for it..I hope things look up sooooooooon!

shih-tzu mom

Shawnie; I don't know how to post a link-help please bella

Dozey

Sorry Bella but I don't know anything about dropsey. But here's the link.

shih-tzu mom

Thanks Dozey and I posted wrong it is swim bladder bella

Dozey

Sorry I can not offer more help but it sounds like swim bladder problems can be caused from a host of different problems. Some treatable and some not. Here is a resource that I have found very helpful with diagnosing fish health problems. It does give you several courses of actions to try. Best of luck!

shih-tzu mom

Thank's again Dozey bella
He is the same, so I have adjusted to the fact I may lose him, he won't even try to eat the pea's. I put some epson salts in with him to help him eliminate, but so far nothing. He is floating on top and I have to put some vaseline on his tummy as it, is exposed to the air.He has been floating 3-days now and I don't know what else to do for him.I spoke with Auauqic Kindom yesterday and this guy said you may loose him, but if he survive's to feed brine shrimp, bloodsworms and lots of veggies, which he always get-but he doe's get sinking pelletts.know i'm thinking maybe it is bacterial as his water and diet are good, but he just loves to eat too much lol. This is very hurtful and sad for him and me as he has been through soo much already and he's going into a 55-gallon this week if he survive's and I was dying to see him in there, as he just loves to swim and follow me as I enter by him and stop and talk to him.Doe's anyone think the weather has anything to do with people losing fish at this time? it seems a lot of fish are dying of different things. and last year as well.I have lost 2-f-8 puff's and 1-goldie in the last couple of days all fish were perfect and just died ? wonder why? bella

SOF; calling yourexpert advise please? Will explain to you it is the golgie that survived anchor worms I need your help, please and thanks bella

---------------------------------------------------------------
I need your help if your'e online lol,very bad it is for Peek-A-Boo the Goldie that survived anchor worms-and you gave me so much help all through it. please and thanks if you are around this guy has swim bladder and I think it is bacterial and i, and he need your help badly?it is to the point I may loose him-and he has been through soo much lol please help us.p.s. it is not my intention to center you out just to ask of your expert advise. I must explain he has swim bladder and has been at the top on his back for 3-days now.I have used aquarium salt, epson salts, and of course water change.I have used a syringe to feed dalphina and and he took that with no luck, and will not take peas.I have put vaseline on his belly that is exposed to the air-as to not cause more infection.Now I am at a stand still lol. so that is where I need your help. bella

KrisT

I don't have any advice to offer since I'm not a fish expert. But I can tell you love your peke a boo very much and I'm hoping the best for the both of you.

soldieroffortune1974

shih-tsu mom,that goldie isn't have much luck. I am on it,but 1st I have a couple questions. Can you post a pic? How big is thisgoldie and how was it acting before this issue? Water parameters? when was the last time they were tested? answer these while I am getting info.

Suave

maybe something in your water you are unaware of? just a thought

shih-tzu mom

Sof; I tested the water yesterday again and 0-0-5 , and he is about 4-1/2 inches long and about 1-1/2 all way round he is very swollen. And no I can't get pic's as he seems to be resting at the top on his back and gets upset if he is disturbed.He was acting a little slow, but another goldie was lost yesterday just swelled up floated to the top and died 20-min; later. SOF here is a pic I took and the black bag is charcoal that I keep in there.Before this he had just slowed down a little then on the bottom and floaed to the top and has remained there until now and is still there. I hope this pic is good enough for you to see how swollen he is.Poor baby is soo sick lol and I don't have hope for him at this point and may have to pts. if he gets any worse as he looks like he's suffering bella

Amanda

I read somewhere that Duck Weed fed to the goldie is a cure for when it's floating like that.

soldieroffortune1974

WOW,I have never seen swim bladder disorder act that fast or that lethally. Usually over a period of a few days. At this point there's not much you can do except 50% water changes daily and try to treat with garlic guard soaked peas,if Peek a boo won't eat,then you can treat with Internal Parasite Guard,swI'm bladder disease doesn't act that fast,but parasites will. So I am thinking it has more to do with a parasite problem,leading to bloat. I hope poor peek a boo is up to his old self soon.Good luck and keep us posted.

shih-tzu mom

ok, thanks SOF; will treat for parisite's then and hope this helps-did you see his pic above? bella

Krist; thanks for your responce and yes I do love Peek-A-Boo very much, as he and I have been through a lot together. bella
----------------------------------------------------------
Amanda; He just won't eat as yet and I don't want to forse feed him yet, if it can be helped.bella
----------------------------------------------------------------
Update on Peek, I put my hand in the water after adding parisite treatment last night I and he just lyed in my hand and took a deep relaxing breath as if to say 'Mom's' here it will be alright. But he looks very bad and I will do water change today again and use a little salt and hope he show's some improvement.I will use some vitamins and garlic and syringe with some dalphina and hope he takes that.I just hope I don't have to put him to sleep as that will take a lot out of me and I just don't know how long he can last like this-but I do know he is a fighter and has been right from the time of being a baby. He was the stronger out of the 3-fish that I had purchased.Anyone know how long he can last? I don't want him to suffer as he is a good little guy and my favourite and I will do what I have too, to save him-but I won't let him suffer-he don't deserve that. bella

kimb

Poor little guy! I have only had my fish a short time, and I know how bad I would feel if something happened to them. It sounds like you are trying to do all you can, hope it all works out. Good luck to yu and peek-a-boo

shih-tzu mom

Thank-you Kim- this is when we all need moral support as all my pets are not just pet's they ae family members. bella

kimb

I know what you mean. I see your profile pic of your pup...owner of:
4 dogs, 2 cats, 16 fish..hang in there, we'll say a prayer

Shawnie

awwwww bella I'm so sorry about peek he is severely swollen as most have said and probably needs a salt treatment/bath to release some of that fluid.....I would do that before trying other meds as he needs the relief very fast ...you certainly know how to do those from prior fish and I wish you a ton of luck with your baby boy!

shih-tzu mom

Thanks Shawnie; he is getting the salt and epson salts today after his water change-but you know Shawnie he is still a happy little guy when I talk or hold him lol.But it just breaks my heart to see him like this.Kim, I have 2-shih--tzu's 15-betta's 3-puffer's and 3-fantails, 3-pearlscales and now 2-oranda's left, as 1-oranda passed the other day. bella

Lucy

I'm sorry he looks so poorly, bella.
I agree with Shawnie on the epsom salt bath to draw some of that fluid out.
I didn't realize he had gotten so big.

shih-tzu mom

Hi: all, he just got his salt and took about 1/2 mg. of dalphina, vitamins and garlic-so hopefully he will perk uop a little later on.He just lyed in my hand to take his food-not much I know but it is something in his little belly. bella

I just put him his favourite spot the q/t tank-he is in epson salts and aquarium salt. and a small airater. Not much more I can do. bella

bettafish2816

i'm so sorry bella I hope he can pull through

shih-tzu mom

Hi: I just got back and he has expelled some feces and it's diffinatly [sp] parisites and he looks a little less swollen, not much though. so I will treat tomorrow for parisites again. SOF you were right and will keep treating him. Wish me luck for him everyone, he is such a good baby and I don't know what I'll do if he don't make it. bella

soldieroffortune1974

That is excellent news Bella,really great. It's a good sign he ate some and even better the parasites are coming out.Great news,Good Job once again and keep treating him. Peek a Boo is in good hands.

Since it has been identified definitely as internal parasites,it would be a good idea to do a water change on the main aquarium and treat with the same parasite med you are using on Peek a Boo for the whole aquarium,to prevent the rest of the inhabitants from getting sick. Those that aren't showing any symptoms could still have them.A couple days treatment should rid them from the main aquarium as well.

Great Job.

shih-tzu mom

Oh, SOF-he still looks bad and what he passed was so very little but I have some jungle. Parisite food if he will eat it lol as he is not really interested in food as yet. I went to lfs and they said he was being treated right as I showed pic on camera and they said they had never seen a fish that bad. bella

soldieroffortune1974

A little at this point is better than nothing,but it's a good sign don't get discouraged. He won't get better overnight,but with your care and the meds he WILL get better. I am certain of that. You pulled Peek a Boo through a rough spot before,and I have confidence you will again. You should know better than to worry about what an LFS says. Everyone here is pulling for you and Peek a Boo.

shih-tzu mom

Yes, I have only one goldie in the same tank as Peek was but I will treat her as well-your'e right as she probably has it too. and now I have a Fan-Tail that I need help to id his problem-his name is Cujo and he is on the bottom sinse last night-still eating and swimming normal-but not normal for him on the bottom-I have a separate thread for him. bella

soldieroffortune1974

Give me a link to the thread for cujo,and we can see what is going on with him.

shih-tzu mom

Sof-I don't know how to do a link but it's under SOF-Fan-tail Help needed. Sorry, I think it is the 3rd thread down. bella

kimb

Hey Bella, glad to hear he made it this far! Is this parasite something all fish can get? It sounds like you really know what you are doing medically. I will know where to come for advice if I need it! P.s I was born and raised in Ontario! Keep up the good work, good luck

shih-tzu mom

Thanks, Kim-yeah, I have my fair share of parisite's with my fish lol and been successful with some and not with others. But Peek is just about the best little guy a person could have and if God made any better he would have kept it for himself.Well, update this morning, he is still on his back and his little fins are going 25 miles an hour-sure looks like he is trying to get turned over.I will be doing his water treatment at 12-and treating him, hoping he will turn over on his own, as he is weak. But the swelling is gone down somewhat and I think he may pull through. SOF I have a question-can I use epson salts with the internal pariste treatment as it doe's seem to be helping the swelling and he is becoming a little more active?? thanks to all that have been giving me support and you all know who.And SOF;should I turn him and will this cause brain damage to him?or should I let him do it himself?? bella
------------------------------------------------------------
Kimd; Sorry I just reread the thread and yes all fish carry parisite's-some it bothers and some it don't lol. But when fish is acting different best to check them out as usally 1-it's your water -2-paristes in goldies there is always a reason. And I know my fish and how they act-thus something diff; something wrong so I test water first and go from there then I scream [ha ha ]for help to our forum. bella
------------------------------------------------------------
Just a little side note for any one new this is not!!!!!! [dropsey.] It is a parisite problem with Goldies in case it was not read through and I posted wrong. So please disregard the thread title, ps. it is not swim bladder either just so anyone don't get wrong info from me. bella

shih-tzu mom

HI: all, swollen getting better gone down a little and he took 5-worm pelletts and about 6-bloodworms so I think he is trying to turn over but not quite ready to do that yet. will update again later bella

KrisT

Yay! Sounds like he is getting better. I keep checking this thread hoping to hear that he pulling through this.

soldieroffortune1974

That is great news and getting better. As far as helping him turn over,if you're comfortable doing it,gently hold him with your hand(s) and turn him over.You can even push him around a little help him swim as long as he isn't freaking out.Some fish don't mind being handled and others shy away.

yes you can use epsom salts with the parasite treatment as long as there isn't a large quantity of chloride related ingredients in the meds.(read the ingredients) The package should list the ingredients in order 25% so and so 4% something else.If it doesn't give the specific percentages,then the 1st ingredient is the most,2nd ingredient is less and so on.If the 1st ingredient is sodium chloride,that's salt and you don't need to add anymore.

I am really glad to see peek a boo is getting better.Before long he will be back to his old self. Let him eat a little at a time,even if he wants more don't overfeed him.At this point you don't want him to get constipated and bloat up again.

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to it with the answers. I am in the process of moving from 1 house to another and breaking down 1 aquarium and setting it up takes me a full day,and I have 9 more to go.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jtjgg
Replies
Views
NevermindIgnoreMe
  • Question
40 Gallon Tank Goldfish with eggs
Replies
Views
NevermindIgnoreMe