Goldfish White, Stringy Poop

ASquidabs0727

My common goldfish has white, stringy poop. The poop was about 1 inch long and it has some brown parts but mostly white. I feed Omega One sinking pellets but they have a habit of gasping at the surface (I used to feed them flakes *facepalm*). Anyways last week there was two bubbles in its poop so I was instructed to soak the food before feeding. I've been doing that but now he has mostly white, stringy poop with some brown. Is this a sign of parasites? I'm going to try and offer other foods like bloodworms or a gel food and see if that helps at all. Ammonia and Nitrite is always 0 and I try to keep Nitrate under 20ppm. Should I fast the tank? I was also doing research and some recommended API General Cure in situations like these because it is anti-bacterial and anti-parasitic. The white poop could also be from stress and/or constipation. I have two other goldfish so I'll try and see what their poop looks like if I notice.

Goldiemom

White poop is a sign of parasites. You can use Paraguard to treat. I believe General Cure will treat them too but check first.

ASquidabs0727

White poop is a sign of parasites. You can use Paraguard to treat. I believe General Cure will treat them too but check first.

the box says it will treat parasites so I'll order it in the morning (my LFS doesn't sell it)

finnipper59

My common goldfish has white, stringy poop. The poop was about 1 inch long and it has some brown parts but mostly white. I feed Omega One sinking pellets but they have a habit of gasping at the surface (I used to feed them flakes *facepalm*). Anyways last week there was two bubbles in its poop so I was instructed to soak the food before feeding. I've been doing that but now he has mostly white, stringy poop with some brown. Is this a sign of parasites? I'm going to try and offer other foods like bloodworms or a gel food and see if that helps at all. Ammonia and Nitrite is always 0 and I try to keep Nitrate under 20ppm. Should I fast the tank? I was also doing research and some recommended API General Cure in situations like these because it is anti-bacterial and anti-parasitic. The white poop could also be from stress and/or constipation. I have two other goldfish so I'll try and see what their poop looks like if I notice.
General Cure will treat intestinal worms and so will PraziPro. They are the same medication, but General Cure adds salt.

Goldiemom

I believe Walmart sells it.

ASquidabs0727

Walmart sells it for $20 more expensive than chewy so I bought it online yesterday. I dyed my hair today and I don't want to risk putting my hands in the tank just in case there's any chemical residue on them. So I'm not going to feed them today. Is that okay? Are the parasites sucking all the nutrients out of them?

Adriifu

Walmart sells it for $20 more expensive than chewy so I bought it online yesterday. I dyed my hair today and I don't want to risk putting my hands in the tank just in case there's any chemical residue on them. So I'm not going to feed them today. Is that okay? Are the parasites sucking all the nutrients out of them?
Yeah, you can fast them. It may starve the fish, but it’ll also starve the parasite. Three days may be enough.

ASquidabs0727

Yeah, you can fast them. It may starve the fish, but it’ll also starve the parasite. Three days may be enough.

I fed them today before I saw this. I'm using API General Cure which should get rid of the parasites w/o making the fish more uncomfortable than they already are. So I'm not going to fast unless you think it would help the situation a lot.

Goldiemom

Fasting shouldn’t be necessary.

finnipper59

Your using the right meds. Starving fish puts more stress on malnutritioned fish and is not a guarantee of getting rid if the paracites.
I fed them today before I saw this. I'm using API General Cure which should get rid of the parasites w/o making the fish more uncomfortable than they already are. So I'm not going to fast unless you think it would help the situation a lot.

Adriifu

Yeah, it’s not completely necessary, but helps in certain situations. Just go with what Goldiemom and finnipper59 said.

ASquidabs0727

When I removed the carbon from the filters and turned the filter back on carbon dust immediately was spit into the tank from the filter. Will this hurt my fish?

finnipper59

When I removed the carbon from the filters and turned the filter back on carbon dust immediately was spit into the tank from the filter. Will this hurt my fish?
No. The carbon dust is harmless and will get captured by the filter.

Adriifu

It will not harm the fish, but it looks bad. That’s why it’s always suggested to rinse the filter media beforehand.

ASquidabs0727

Just an update: I just put in the 2nd dose of treatment. I haven't noticed any of them pooping so I'm not sure what it looks like but they are active and have an appetite so that's good. In 48 hours I will be doing a 25% water change and then I will be done with the medicine. Thank you for all the help!

finnipper59

Just an update: I just put in the 2nd dose of treatment. I haven't noticed any of them pooping so I'm not sure what it looks like but they are active and have an appetite so that's good. In 48 hours I will be doing a 25% water change and then I will be done with the medicine. Thank you for all the help!
I there are a good number of paracites in th digestive system dying off at once, it can cause mild constipation sometimes. If it seems that way, feed the fish a skinned sweet pea. They enjoy them and they haave a laxative effect.

ASquidabs0727

Today I saw brown short poop! WOOOOO! NO MORE PARASITES!!!
However, one of the fish is now bottom sitting? Ammonia is 0. Nitrite is 0. And I did a water change yesterday.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PlantedCommunityTank132
Replies
Views
e_watson09
Replies
Views
Momgoose56
Replies
Views