Goldfish White Lump On Head, Now On Side Too

Jayme276

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi,
Wondering if anyone has any ideas what is happening with my fantail goldfish? The white lump on the head started about 2 weeks ago, and hasn't really changed, the lump on the side came up in the last 2 days, and is growing quickly. Still eating, swimming etc. Had this one for 2 years since the tank finished cycling, it's not the most well conformed, so not sure if bad genetics could be doing something here. No symptoms on any other fish, all others behaving normally. Any advice on whether this is treatable would be great.
Water Parameters:
Ammonia (NH3/NH4) Level: 0
Nitrite (NO2) Level: 0
Nitrate (NO3) Level: 10-20
Water Temperature: 17 celsius - 62.6F?
Ph of Tank (If possible, KH, GH): 7.6 - possibly higher?
Ph of Tap (If possible, KH, GH): 7.6
Type of test-kit used(strips or drops, brand)? API Master Test Kit

Equipment:
Tank Size (in Metric and US), how long set up: 160L/42Gallons, Established for 2 years
Filters (include brand): AquaOne brand tank, filters etc
Substrate type & depth: Gravel, 3-5cm
Other equipment: 1x air pump with 2x air stones

Habits:
How often do you change the water and how much? Water changes weekly, 25%minimum, 50% probably 1 a month
Do you use water conditioner(if so, what kind)? Aqua One and Prime
What do you feed your fish and how often? 2x small meals/day, Vitalis pellets are their staple, brine shrimp/bloodworms once per week, veggies (usually broccoli/zucchini) 2 x per week, peas 1 x per week. I do not feed on the water change day
Have you recently used any medications in the tank? No

Plants/Animals:
Are there any new animals/plants added to the tank? Were they quarantined? How long? No new animals/plants
List all current in-tank fish, breeds, size, gender and age: 2 x black moor, 1 x Fantail goldfish, maybe 8-10cm long? about 2 - 3 y/o (not sure how old they were in the when we bought them?)
List all plants: 3 x Java fern, 1x anubia - all have algae growing all over them, used to have a lot more plants :(
Invertebrates: 0

Jayme276

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Looks like a fungal infection. Any kind of ich meds you can get your hands on should clear it up. Don’t dally on the matter though get him in treatment ASAP
Thanks, are both lumps likely to be the same thing? The one on the head appears to be below the skin/scales, whereas the one on the side has broken the surface. Is the API ICK cure appropriate? I am in Australia so not sure what brands are available

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
In the pic both spots appear to be raised and cottony looking. Again I’m not there so if you’ve never dealt with fungus before it difficult to say but that’s what I see based on the picture. I’m not familiar with api’s ich meds but as long as it’s malachite blue/green that should do the trick

Jayme276

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The one on the side definitely has a cotton-like appearance, the one on the head looks a bit more like a discolored swelling than anything, it's not obviously broken the scales/skin. I'm going out to get some now, I have Melafix but I don't think it treats ich, will look for malachite.

Jayme276

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
In the pic both spots appear to be raised and cottony looking. Again I’m not there so if you’ve never dealt with fungus before it difficult to say but that’s what I see based on the picture. I’m not familiar with api’s ich meds but as long as it’s malachite blue/green that should do the trick
Hi,
Just a quick update, thanks for your advice. The fish hobbyist who works at the pet shop was in yesterday so I asked him for his opinion just to make sure I was getting the right product. He's recently had 2 cases of anchor worm in his aquariums and said it looked the same. I gave treated the tank with some Para-cide last night and the lump on the side has fallen off now. Not sure how they got it but glad its treatable.
Thanks again

Jayme276

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
3 goldfish in a 42g tank, you need to do weekly 50-75% water changes. 25% isn't removing much waste at all.

Large Or Small Water Changes (discussion) | Water Changes 393921
Thanks, 25% is just an estimate, I vaccum the gravel until the waste material is gone rather than by measurement, rinse the filter intake and clean filter media as needed. These fish have all done well in this tank since I purchased them 2 years ago, and I test the water chemistry weekly before the water change and it has been stable this whole time, so I think they are fine.

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Glad to hear you got it figured out and the situation has improved; you may want to follow up with an antibiotic like erythromycin. That’ll help heal the entry point of anchor worms.

Jayme276

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Glad to hear you got it figured out and the situation has improved; you may want to follow up with an antibiotic like erythromycin. That’ll help heal the entry point of anchor worms.
Cheers, I have to dose again 5 days from now for the anchor worms, will look at antibiotics as well, have also dosed up on a slime coat additive to help repair any damage.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom