60 Gallon Tank Goldfish vs tropical fish

bermese2002

So I'm in the process of deciding stocking for my fish tank, and ButtercuptheOranda brought up the suggestion of goldfish. Now this has crossed my mind multiple times, but as I already had tropical fish (and still have a few), I've never really looked into it fully. If I were to go ahead, I think I've worked out I'd go for 3 fancy goldfish (4 at a maximum).

Can you sell me on fancy goldfish over tropical fish? Below is my current tank set up - what would I need to change?
IMG_6427.jpg

Ghelfaire

Goldfish might eat or dig up a few of those plants.
They are cute though

Upvote 0

bermese2002

They’re definitely cute!

Is there nothing I’d have to change about the tank then? Apart from accept some plant loses?

Upvote 0

Ghelfaire

Is the substrate sand? As long as nothing is sharp it they should be ok. Just make sure you fo large or frequent water changes, they are super messy.

Upvote 0

bermese2002

Is the substrate sand? As long as nothing is sharp it they should be ok. Just make sure you fo large or frequent water changes, they are super messy.

yeah it’s sand. Nothing sharp in the tank as far as I’m aware.

Undecided whether I’ll go for goldfish yet. But it’s good to here I wouldn’t need to completely change the tank

Upvote 0

BabsandLoon

I currently have a 60 gallon with four fancy goldfish and it is the best! So full of personality! It’s like having four little aquatic puppies.

Upvote 0

coldpines

Anubias and crypts are more goldfish resistant, so that's a good thing. Obviously it depends on how persistent the individual goldfish is. I've heard people having some success with making sure there's always a slice of cucumber present in the tank to lessen them picking at the plants.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ohhithere
Replies
Views
Azedenkae
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question