Goldfish Turning Orange, Is It The Food?

Whatisacanada

My oranda's caudal lobes, pectoral, and pelvic fins are turning orange. The pectoral and pelvic fins were yellowy before and seem to be getting darker, and the caudal lobes were a snowy white color, but are now streaked with orange. I am also noticing that the white parts of his body are slightly yellowed.
I switched to feeding the Saki-HikarI Fancy Goldfish sinking pellets about two weeks ago. It is the purple bag and there is a label on it that says "color enhancing," so could this be a cause? I haven't noticed any change in my other oranda's pattern or color, though he was already very vibrant, or in my comet goldfish (in a separate tank) who is a solid yellow-orange. My zebra danios, which share a tank with my comet do appear to be a bit brighter too, but I don't often get a good look at them because they are so fast so that could just be from them having grown up some.
They also all receive Repashy Super Gold gel food, blood worms, and the occasional veggie (cucumber, spinach, etc.) throughout the week.

Annie59

It is very common for goldfish to turn gold as they grow. As for the streaks in the tail that could be from bad water. Ammonia burn. Maybe post a photo?

TeamRandrus

Are you leaving your light on longer? This can cause their colours to adjust- due to the melanin (someone who knows more can weigh in) I’ve had many goldfish change colours!! but as Annie59 said the darker ones could be ammonia burn (depending) so maybe a pic could help rule that out! Also testing water. Slight ammonia spikes can be sensitive to their tails and fins. ALTHOUGH there’s rare ones that develop black colouring even though most black goldfish lose the black eventually... hope that makes sense... I don’t know much about orandas but hope this weights in even a smidgen. It’s nerve wracking when you think something may be wrong with your fish!

Also good for you for giving them such a good variety diet!!

Whatisacanada

It is very common for goldfish to turn gold as they grow. As for the streaks in the tail that could be from bad water. Ammonia burn. Maybe post a photo?

Streaks are the best way I can describe it as the whole lobe has not changed color, they used to be the same color white as the other Oranda's.

Another thing to note about this fish, he has had some fin issues in the past, but the issues being some slight deformities (one pelvic fin is shorter than the other, and his caudal fins were a bit less flowy than the other fish's. One caudal fin does have a kink in it that you may notice in one of the photos, but I believe it may be from the way an injury healed before I got him)

Attachments

• IMG_5444.jpg
    IMG_5444.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_5469.jpg
    IMG_5469.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_5470.jpg
    IMG_5470.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 140

Annie59

From the photos it looks just like the color change, at least to me. I would be more concerned if the tail had actual streaks and more reddish. But your fish's tail seems to just be the coloring of it.

TeamRandrus

I agree with Annie!! I feel like the yellow is just the beginning of more orange!! They are so pretty. I didn’t know this until the summer that light can impact their colours but during the summer I reduced the light in my fish tank and my Goldie’s went almost white. Super funky looking- I thought the were dying(it was really hot where I am I was desperate to keep temp down in anyway I could). Light back on, they went a funky yellow then developed orange again!

Your Goldie’s are so pretty!!!

Cheesecake

Beatiful fish! I know how it feels to worry about them .

Whatisacanada

I agree with Annie!! I feel like the yellow is just the beginning of more orange!! They are so pretty. I didn’t know this until the summer that light can impact their colours but during the summer I reduced the light in my fish tank and my Goldie’s went almost white. Super funky looking- I thought the were dying(it was really hot where I am I was desperate to keep temp down in anyway I could). Light back on, they went a funky yellow then developed orange again!

Your Goldie’s are so pretty!!!
When I moved them into their bigger tank I did switch to using a brighter light to help with plant growth. The light has probably helped too, I hadn't even thought about that

Cheesecake

Age might also be a factor. Goldfish generally do turn darker with age, or a richer shade of orange.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
65 Gallon Tank Black Oranda Goldfish
Replies
Views
jtjgg
Replies
Views
Jim2195
Replies
Views
GoldFiska