Goldfish Turned White In 3 Hours Then Died

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Mark2103, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Mark2103New MemberMember

Hello! I have had this fancy goldfish for over a year now. This goldfish ever since has been living in a tropical fish tank. I love this guy and he was very personable. But then when I went to turn on the lights the next morning he wasn't looking so good. He was on the ground and breathing harshly. He appeared to have a white scale. Then as the day went on the fish got whiter and whiter until almost all it's body was white. I then had to draw the line and put the fish out of it's misery and overdosed him in clove oil. Here is a picture of the fish before I had to put him down. The fish was orange in the morning and was half white 8 hours later. Three days ago it started acting weird but it still ate just not as much. I had put salt in the tank to treat whatever he had as I thought he had ich. But today it started turning white.

Could you guys please help me diagnose the fish? a66f2a7146a5b5cbe44b9ff2d8dfe978.jpg

The goldfish was still breathing in this picture

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  2. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Sorry I'm of no help since I don't know what happened to him, but I do know that goldfish shouldn't be in tropical tanks because they are cold water fish.

3. pixelhootValued MemberMember

Hello! I need to ask a few questions to be able to help you.
    What size is your tank?
    What are your water parameters?
    Does the white look fuzzy like cotton?

4. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

5. Mark2103New MemberMember

It's a 29 gal with only the goldfish and a Molly. Goldfish is 3 inches or so
    Ammonia:0
    Nitrite:0
    Nitrate:5
    Ph: 7
    It was not fuzzy but scales were raised

Ammonia:0
    Nitrite:0
    Nitrate:5
    I do a water change every 4 days

6. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

It might have had dropsy if the scales were raised. I've never seen a fish turn white like that from it though.

Is the water out of your tap also at 7?

7. Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

Goldfish can do fine in warmer water it's not a death sentence even long term.

Changing color that quickly is definitely due to an illness. Usually it's water quality, but is there any way something else could of been introduced recently? New fish/plants/food etc.

8. Mark2103New MemberMember

Well I did get new food. I switched from flakes and started feeding brine shrimp and blood worms but only every 3 days. My water quality is pretty good too.

I was still feeding flakes

9. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

I'm just going to ask...are you shaking the #2 nitrate bottle and throwing it off walls and then shaking it again?

Is the ph of the tap and the ph of the tank the same?

Does the molly seem to be doing fine?

10. Mark2103New MemberMember

Molly is fabulous I just put some meds to keep her safe hopefully. Tap and water PH are the same since all I do is declorinate the water, I use a strip test kit.

11. BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

You said you kept him with a Molly? I have heard that Mollys will eat the slime off the goldfish... but I dont think that would enough to kill him nor to damage his scales.
    He probably died from something (obvious isnt it lol), but I am having a hard time coming with something... he also looks like if he had a hole in his gill, is that just the photo?
    It is just weird that whatever killed him did it so fast, I have many guesses but I am scared I will sound too stupid lol, only a necropsy would tell.

12. Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

Since it's scales were raised I'm going with the information available and guesstimate that he had a swim bladder infection from the switching of food from being on a poor diet for so long and could of became impacted.

If the blood worms or shrimp were contaminated I would expect the molly to be ill as well. Goldfish can become constipated quite easily especially when fed flake for a long time and/or heavily without supplemental vegetables and/or fasting.

13. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

Do you know if your lfs does a liquid test? If they do, I'd go there and have them test your water for you to be sure. I also agree with what Tiny is saying. Poor diet, hotter temps and an increased metabolism sped what ever was wrong with it up very fast.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice