goldfish trouble i think? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by lucky strike 21, Nov 29, 2012.

1. lucky strike 21Well Known MemberMember

this started today i woke up as usual morning feeding time the goldfish wont even budge hes jut laying down in a corner i tried moving him but he swims away and lays back down on his stomach can anyone help hes been going to the bathroom regularly so hes not constipated any help would be appreciated 001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg011.jpgwater parameters are ok ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 18

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  2. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

I can't see much of him but the first thing that comes to mind is the temp. 83 F is pretty high for a goldie, that may be stressing him. If you adjust it down, do so slowly, no more than a degree or two every couple hours. I would shoot for a temp of about 70 F, so it'll take quite awhile to adjust it down.

3. lucky strike 21Well Known MemberMember

I'm sorry I forgot to update my profile the tempature is currently 68 degrees in my tank

4. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

How long have you had him? Also, any major changes to the tank in the time you've had him? How long has he been like this and whens the last time he ate?

Sorry for all the questions, its just that from what I could see in the pictures he looked okay.

PS- I like Brian as your avatar better, whenever I see that picture it looks like he's so worried and it just fits when you're worried about your fish. ;)

5. lucky strike 21Well Known MemberMember

i have had him a week my sister in law had him in a 10 gallon tank with a pleco and knife fish 2 years i fed him food but he wont even eat thank you matt for taking the time to help me and my goldfish we really appreciate it i did a 50 percent water change yesterday night 1 am i was bored lol i used prime

6. lucky strike 21Well Known MemberMember

rsz_1002.jpg hes just laying here

7. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

If anything, I think he's more stressed. New house and stuff. I would keep looking at him. My wife's fish did that one time, but he was a little sick but pulled through.

8. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

No problem! I'm happy to assist if able! Imo there's a good chance Fashooga is right, I would stay on top of the parameters, maybe offer him something hard to resist like bloodworms or brine shrimp. Also, it wouldn't hurt to treat the water with kordons fish protector and his food and/or water with vita chem.

I don't see any outward signs of distress so for now keeping a close eye on him and trying to get him to eat a little would be your best bet imo. Keep the water quality up and give it some time, if it starts going better or worse let us know and we'll go from there. ;)

9. lucky strike 21Well Known MemberMember

Should I use api stress zyme or api stress coat or both ?

10. EiennaFishlore VIPMember

I use Seachem Stress Guard. If you're using Prime for your conditioner it might be a good idea not to use another "water conditioner" product on top of it, so Stress Guard is likely the way to go.

You know, I'm thinking of something else. Besides being stressed, he's probably exhausted. He hasn't had proper exercise for at least a year. Can you turn your filter flow down slightly?

11. lucky strike 21Well Known MemberMember

well it looks like the goldfish has ich is there a bath i could give him to help him because hes just laying there should i move him to a smaller tank till the ich dies?

12. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I couldn't agree more. When I upgraded my ex's goldfish from a 10 to a 29, that was exactly what happened. The fish wedged itself in somewhere and just hung out. Took some time for it to adjust to the increased current and swim space - it was out of shape.

13. EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Don't move him. He's stressed enough already. If I were you I'd treat with Rid-Ich Plus and possibly leave the lights off for a day or two to let him chill.

14. lucky strike 21Well Known MemberMember

salt bath for ich on goldfish?

can i do a salt bath on my goldfish he has really bad ich

15. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

16. Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

Goldfish can easily handle the heat of Ich treatment. After all, they are very popular pond fish here in Florida ;)

17. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Exactly. They can easily handle 90 degrees.

18. lucky strike 21Well Known MemberMember

i am using the heat to get rid of ich but i was just asking is there anything else i could do because the goldfish has been lethargic for around 3 days

19. lucky strike 21Well Known MemberMember

well my goldfish is doing much better hes happy and swimming all around i gave him a salt bath and i swear it brought him back from the brink of death thank you everyone

20. Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

Glad he's feeling better :) sometimes they just need a little salt to help them feel better.