goldfish temperature

1. Quibbles Member Member

Hi, I know this is an aquarium forum, but my question is about pond goldfish. Actually, they aren't pond goldfish yet. My neighbor can't keep her three smallish goldfish(full grown. I believe their growth was stunted.), and I am setting up a small pond. I don't know exact gallonage, but it would be a huge upgrade for them. However, in the summer, we get 110 or so degree weather occasionally. Most of the time we are above 90. The pond isn't it direct sunlight for more than an hour early during the day before it heats up, but I worry that the fish would over-heat in there. Would the fish be okay with the heat?

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think that'll be a big issue if the tank isn't in direct sunlight. Water doesn't change temps as fast as air, and I don't think the water will reach the air temp.

3. dandelion Member Member

I think this also depends on the water movement and depth. Will there be any water moving? I agree with TexasDomer though, as long as it isn't in direct light it should be fine. My dad kept goldfish in stock tanks to help with parasites and algae in the summer. Of course in the winter the tanks had heaters to prevent the water freezing and the fish dying. The biggest problem was keep animals from eating them:;soldier

4. Paincoast89 Member Member

They should be fine just as everyone says they shouldn't be in direct sunlight, and hopefully birds don't think as the pong as a place to eat!

5. Quibbles Member Member

Water will be in motion, and the pond is full of places to hide, and we get racoons sometimes, but the dog chases them off. Half of the pond is kind of a cave, under ground, but sturdy, so I don't really worry about predators. The pond isn't extremely deep, as far as ponds go it would be considered shallow. I'm super glaad to hear that it is likely the fish will be ok.

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You will likely have problems with predators if you're only relying on a dog to keep them away. Why not add something like chicken wire over the top?

7. Quibbles Member Member

I am not just relying on the dog. The pond is an abnormal shape, and it creates underwater caves. Most of the pond isn't even visible. It takes up less space that way, but is bigger, and the area where air meets water is covered in plants. Is that enough? We have chickens that roost in our trees at night, and we have never had issues with them. I do worry because these fish were raised in an aquarium, so they are in a way naive, maybe more likely to be caught. Is this the case?

8. dandelion Member Member

I would say yes, they are more liable to be caught. But if you haven't had a problem with you chickens, I think they would be fine. Where I lived we had problems with coyotes, foxes, or raccoons. I would at least try it. They should be fine.

9. Quibbles Member Member

Awesome. They were children's pets, so they had a little practice dodging falling toy trains and small hands. I hope they will do well. :)