Goldfish Temp Controversy

Discussion in 'Advanced Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by helvi, May 18, 2017.

1. helvi

helviNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hi, I'm brand new to this site. I have questions about the temperature in my 20 gallon goldfish tank. It's filtered, heated, all the readings are perfect, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, hardness 7.2. I have 2 butterfly telescope goldfish in the tank. I know that goldfish are considered cold water fish. But on a warm day their tank can heat up to 80 at most and then it would plummet down. So I started keeping a heater in to maintain a steady temp. It stays between 72-74 for the most part. I was wondering if this was okay. My goldfish have been thriving, they are active and constantly growing. One even laid eggs without me knowing and I ended up with fry. Everything is pointing towards them being healthy happy fish with the warm temperatures. Every fish person I've talked to however is against a heater in goldfish tanks. What do you think?

2. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,745
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    My wife when she had gold fish put her's on a temperature control. If it was arm and the water was fine, no change. If it got too cold temperature comes on.

Welcome to the forum, be prepared to be asked about getting a bigger tank.

3. Caitlin86

Caitlin86Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +356
    Experience:
    Just started
    Goldfish do thrive in colder temps. Warmer temps will speed up their life cycle. I also think u r overstocked. IMO goldfish should be kept in no less than 30 gallon for 1 fish.

4. Books&Fish

Books&FishWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +360
    Experience:
    3 years
    If we are only discussing temperature for goldfish, i believe since they are a carp (fancies and commons) they will thrive in the lower temperatures. Especially since my parents keep Koi in their pond all year round (northern Michigan) and they do great even in the winter! If I get one, it will be kept in a 75 gallon tank at 70F.

Now I'm curious about this too though. We have a brand new LFS opened by a guy who is a 30-year local hobbyist. He is only using RO water in his store because our city water supply kind of sucks. I get that and it's great for the fish (even though they are temporarily homed there), but doesn't that make it so much harder for those fish to acclimate to our local water in likely-not-perfect conditions?

Also, no matter the fish (cichlids, barbs, and yes GOLDFISH) he keeps all the tanks at 80 degrees. He says it's fine and that it prevents many diseases keeping the water warmer. He did specifically mention ich as well.

I'm wondering if it's fine because it's temporary.

5. MotherofPits

MotherofPitsValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    Just started
    I don't keep goldfish as pets anymore. I just have some in with my turtle and the water is room temperature. My room stays around 70-75. Sometimes warmer. There is no heater in the tub, only a UVB bulb for the turtle. I think goldfish are a little more forgiving, temperature wise. I heard keeping them at warmer temperatures was bad for their health, but I'm still learning so I need to look into that.

6. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,698
    As far as I know oxygen is the problem. Goldfish need a lot of oxygen in the water and at warmer temperatures water holds less oxygen, couple that with not enough surface agitation and you are asking for trouble.

7. VioletSS

VioletSSValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +256
    Experience:
    Just started
    I'm curious what you did with the fry? Were there a lot?

8. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,099
    Experience:
    3 years
    Hey, and welcome to FishLore!

If you live in a climate that usually stays warmer, or humid, you won't need a heater for most of the warm months. You don't want the temperature fluctuations to occur like they are, because it can really damage the health of the fish, and the lifespan. For starters, I think you should upgrade your tank to a 55g. Then you can keep both fish together happily, and safely without anything happening with stocking issues. You'll also want to cover the aeration for the tank. using several airstones at once is necessary, or you can use a bubbler stick/bar to get much more oxygen into the water. You should into keeping the temperature at 64F - 70F which will be perfect for them.

Durning the winter they'll fine, but you might to turn on the heater if its gets too low. Then the goldfish slow down, and eat less.

The reason you need a bigger is because of the bio-load. Goldfish produce tons of waste every day, and then times that each week. I'm glad there are two in there, but you really need to upgrade to at least a good 55g. Then you can transpire from there, and be successful with health, and appearance of the fish.

9. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,059
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    There are never agreements on these things.
    Poop is the key. It breaks down more quickly in warmer water, and pollutes more quickly. Goldfish are heavy waste producers, so a warm goldfish tank can suffer from low oxygen (warmer water holds less, and decomposition of poop reduces oxygen).
    The fish themselves are seasonal. If I kept them indoors, I wouldn't heat them. They would roll with the temperatures, which does not harm them. Water temps change gradually enough that an adaptable goldie can handle a wide range.
    But in summer, you need more aggressive water changes, and having a heater is endless summer for them.
    At heated temperatures, you will shorten their lifespan.

10. OP
    OP
    helvi

helviNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    1 year
    I had no idea that they had had fry. I found five after unplugging the filter and looking for a long time. I'm raising them in a separate 10 gallon tank. They are a few months old now and doing well. Eventually I'll upgrade all of my goldfish to a 90 gallon that I'm currently cycling.

11. OP
    OP
    helvi

helviNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    1 year

Thank you for the advice! I do very frequent water changes! And have never had a single problem with ammonia spikes. I put in two air stones. But you're right I have suspected that they need a bigger tank. I am cycling a 90 gallon for them at the moment! They should be able to grow to their full size and have far less temp fluctuations. I'll be ditching the heater.

12. OP
    OP
    helvi

helviNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    1 year
    By "all of my goldfish" I did not mean the fry:( I have a friend who has knowledge and room for them when they're big enough to leave home.

13. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,099
    Experience:
    3 years
    Awesome work! You've taken our advice, and have done everything correctly! I can't wait to see them in the 90g, which will make them grow larger within weeks. My corydoras, have already grown .5 of an inch since they got added to the cycled 27g.