Goldfish tank with others

1. r

ravenxcore Well Known Member Member

So I have a 30 gal tall tank, it contains two fancy goldfish (one calico fantail and one that's either an orando or just fancy? not sure, but he's orange and fat and beautiful!) & five long tail zebra danio's.

So I know my tank is a little over stocked, but I have way more filtration that needed (marineland penguin 350b & tetra ex45), my tank is 100% cycled, and my levels are spot on. Tested today, ammonia is 0, nitrates is below 5 ppm. I didn't test nitrite or ph today, but my ph is usually between 7.6 - 8.0.

I wanna stock my tank with one more smaller schools of fish.

Can anybody recommend another single fish or smallish species that would be comfortable in a tank with a constant temperature of 72-74 degree's, and would be okay with a possible drop to 70-72 degrees on slight occasion? (only because the ac in my living room is very cold sometimes)

If your a "goldfish only with goldfish enthusiast" just save it lol. Also I don't plan on getting while cloud minnows or loaches, and I have cory cats in a community tank and this tank is too high for them anyway.

2. FiscCyning

FiscCyning Valued Member Member

Unfortunately filtration is not the only factor for stocking. You also have to account for physical room and swimming space. Even if the filters can keep up with the bioload, the cramped quarters are still a problem. It would be like a large family living in a one room apartment; they might technically be able to survive, but nobody will be very happy. Especially with fancy goldfish who swim at a more relaxed pace, lots of small, fast moving fish would get quite annoying for them.

3. OP
    OP
    r

Ok next...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Until my goldfish get larger there is plenty of room in the tank, once they do get larger I will upgrade to a 55 or larger.

4. F

Fishywishy New Member Member

You should not put any more fish unless the goldfish are not in the tank anymore. AqAdvisor is not that accurate but you could add some more danios later.

5. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Filtration isn't the issue here, physical space is. There are already too many fish in this tank, so adding more is not a good idea unless and until you move the goldies out.

6. hollie1505

hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Hi there :)

I don't think you should be dismissing comments, swim space is vital to your fish's health.

Fancy Goldfish should be stocked 20G for the first and 10G thereafter. As you already have two, it is unfortunately stocked at that. Why not wait until you get the 55 and move all the others over and build your community from there.

Fancy goldfish also require more turnover for filtration than some other fish, they need all the water in your tank to go through the filter 8-10x as they have a huge bioload, so you are needing at least 240GPH on the filter for the goldies alone. The more filtration the better.

You could try shrimp with fancies, although they may get eaten. Snails are also a possibility, I have four large apple snails in my 85Gallon Goldie tank and they look beautiful in there.xxx

7. OP
    OP
    r

Thanks for the advice! I actually have more filtration that that (I kind of over did it after reading a ton of info on how much ammonia goldfish produce) I have two filter's totaling 525GPH right now.

8. hollie1505

hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

That's brilliant! You can't over filter, but you can over filter.

I would either use the 55 as a community or you could upgrade the fancies (leave the others in the 30) and add two more fancies in the 55. I am crazy for Goldies at the moment, so I know which one I'd choose ;) you could try them with ghost shrimp, they'll likely get eaten but you never know!

Then you have a whole load of options with a 30G and 5 danios...!x

9. G

GuyCO Valued Member Member

If you upgrade your tank to a 55 gallon you can try rainbowfish. I succesfully kept 3 ranbowfish with goldfish before but i changed to angelfish now. My goldfish died after living 7 years ;_;

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. OP
    OP
    r

Funny you said so because thats what I ended up going with. 3 rainbow fish.

11. G

GuyCO Valued Member Member

Nice i bought australian rainbows. Heres a picture of the last male i have. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407511965.877150.jpg Hes about 4 inches long.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

12. OP
    OP
    r

Very nice. I got two turquoise and I dont know what the 3rd is. Hes blue & yellow