Goldfish Tank Troubles

High201

Reaction score
I have a Calico Goldfish with a 10 gallon tank. The tank is cloudy. I cleaned the Gravel with a siphon hose many times and am doing frequent water changes. Yet the tank is still cloudy. The Nitrite is dangeroulsly high and the ph is acidic 6.2. I am not feeding him too much. Don't know what to do. I did also try to put Stress Zyme Biological Filtration Booster in there too. I am currently using an aqua clear filter and everything seems to be working. I am kind of new at this here, and if i don't correct things here i think the Goldfish will not survive. The goldfish is about 5 inches long. could anyone please help me. i am trying to look through books and articles to help but am not having any success. Thank You in advance

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Welcome to FishLore!
Usually we recommend at least 20 gallons for the first goldfish and 10 gallons for each additional fish.Since it is 5 inches it is really crowded, especially since goldfish are such big waste producers. another problem it sounds like your tank isn't cycled. Please read the articles for beginners in the beginners section it will explain alot for you.
Continue doing the water changes to keep your fish comfortable and to get the nitrites down. While the tank is cycling it is building up beneficial bacteria and there are times it is trying so hard to meet the demands of your tank that you can actually see them in the water, this is called a bacteria bloom. This is why your tank is cloudy. The cloudiness won't hurt your fish but the high Nitrites will. The only way to get the Nitrites down is to do water changes. I do recommend you get a larger tank as soon as possible.
keep us posted and we will help all we can
Carol

High201

Reaction score
I realize now that i need a bigger tank. My other tank was not cylcled. When i get a bigger tank, can i cycle it with the goldfish in there. Should I give him back to the pet store to hold until the new tank gets cycled. is there any chance that i still keep this tank and get it fixed up and then cycle a new one. Thanks again for your help and thanks for the welcome

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
Has your 10 gallon tank finished cycling? What I like to do is to precycle by putting the filter for the new tank into the old tank for a few days to get the bacteria established (or if your old filter can handle the new tank and you aren't planning to use the old one anymore, you can just move the old filter over). Keep doing lots of water changes and monitering nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia, but if you do this, you should be OK to put your fish into the new tank right away.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
High201 - How is your goldfish doing?
Carol

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi i'm a new fish tank owner too. i also have a 10 gallon tank with two comets in it. last week i cleaned my tank. at first the water was very cloudy > but two days later it became very clean and clear ;D. I think Sometimes dust from the gravel and sand cloud the water. I think you should wait for two days and water would be clear automatically.

good luck.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
neville said:
hi i'm a new fish tank owner too. i also have a 10 gallon tank with two comets in it. last week i cleaned my tank. at first the water was very cloudy > but two days later it became very clean and clear ;D. I think Sometimes dust from the gravel and sand cloud the water. I think you should wait for two days and water would be clear automatically.

good luck.
Cloudy water occurs when the tank's water is not cycled yet. You should keep a buckt of water out and put a few drops from water conditioner in there. After a week, the water should be safe for your goldfishes. BTW, your tank is overstocked.

High201

Reaction score
Butterfly said:
High201 - How is your goldfish doing?
Carol
Hello. sorry for the late reply. My Goldfish now is doing well. My tank has cleared up since my original post, He (Winston lol) seems to be healthy, however i still only have a 10 gallon tank. I know i need a bigger tank. I was thinking of getting a 29 Gallon Tank. The Problem is I don't really have much more room for a tank much bigger. I know a 29 Gallon tank would be good for 1 goldfish, but I am thinking that Winston is getting too lonely by himself and needs a friend. Would a 29-30 Gallon tank be too small for 2 goldfish. Thanks for asking about Winston and thanks in advance for your help.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi good to hear from you. I have been gone myself for a bit Two goldfish in the 29 gallon would be fine then they wouldn't be lonely but two in a 10 gallon wouldn't be good for either of them.
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom