Goldfish Tank Size?

1. Blue Bea

Blue Bea Member Member

I will be picking up a tank tonight and will need to bring home the two fish that were residing in it, at least temporarily. One is a Black Moor and the other is another type of fancy. I don't know a lot about goldfish other than they need big tanks, live in cooler water temperatures, and are huge waste producers.

In the event that I decide I love them (could happen), what size tank would the two of them need if they were alone?

ETA: My current plan is to rehome them locally but that may change.

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

2 fancies need 40 gallons minimum.

3. OP
    OP
    Blue Bea

Blue Bea Member Member

Thanks!

4. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

If you mean to re-home and are willing to keep up with water changes and have very thorough filtration, and the fish aren't too large yet, you can buy a 35 gallon plastic storage bin.

5. OP
    OP
    Blue Bea

Blue Bea Member Member

I just went and picked up a 35g tub. Great minds think alike! I'm going to offer them to some people who I think might want them and can care for them. If they don't want them, they will likely go to the LFS on Wednesday. If I decide that I really love them, I'll have to pick up a 40 breeder. Would that be big enough?

6. OP
    OP
    Blue Bea

Blue Bea Member Member

Thank you for all of your help. Turns out I didn't need to take them after all. I was prepared but I couldn't fit them in the van with the tank and stand. It's probably a good thing. They were too cute and I would have wanted to keep them. Lol

Now I just have to consider what to do with this tank. Off to browse set ups!

7. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

That's unfortunate , or maybe a good thing like you said cause fancy goldfish are wonderful fish to keep , one of my favorites and I currently have large cichlids , small cichlids , community fish ect.. 7 aquariums but my 65g fancy goldfish tank always wins my heart!!

8. OP
    OP
    Blue Bea

Blue Bea Member Member

They were so adorable that it kind of hurt my heart to leave them. I just don't have a tank for them right now or I would have just gone back for them. The way they swim! They are just sweet.