Goldfish Tank Size?

1. Blue Bea Member Member

I will be picking up a tank tonight and will need to bring home the two fish that were residing in it, at least temporarily. One is a Black Moor and the other is another type of fancy. I don't know a lot about goldfish other than they need big tanks, live in cooler water temperatures, and are huge waste producers.

In the event that I decide I love them (could happen), what size tank would the two of them need if they were alone?

ETA: My current plan is to rehome them locally but that may change.

2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

2 fancies need 40 gallons minimum.

3. Blue Bea Member Member

Thanks!

4. tunafax Well Known Member Member

If you mean to re-home and are willing to keep up with water changes and have very thorough filtration, and the fish aren't too large yet, you can buy a 35 gallon plastic storage bin.

5. Blue Bea Member Member

I just went and picked up a 35g tub. Great minds think alike! I'm going to offer them to some people who I think might want them and can care for them. If they don't want them, they will likely go to the LFS on Wednesday. If I decide that I really love them, I'll have to pick up a 40 breeder. Would that be big enough?

6. Blue Bea Member Member

Thank you for all of your help. Turns out I didn't need to take them after all. I was prepared but I couldn't fit them in the van with the tank and stand. It's probably a good thing. They were too cute and I would have wanted to keep them. Lol

Now I just have to consider what to do with this tank. Off to browse set ups!

7. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

That's unfortunate , or maybe a good thing like you said cause fancy goldfish are wonderful fish to keep , one of my favorites and I currently have large cichlids , small cichlids , community fish ect.. 7 aquariums but my 65g fancy goldfish tank always wins my heart!!

8. Blue Bea Member Member

They were so adorable that it kind of hurt my heart to leave them. I just don't have a tank for them right now or I would have just gone back for them. The way they swim! They are just sweet.