Goldfish Tank size? Should I try to find ~75gal tank?

Becca Stephens

Hello everyone!

I have two common goldfish in a 42gal tank. I know this is the bare minimum for this type of fish andseeing as they’ve grown quite large I’m looking at purchasing a new tank. I’ve pretty much moved them from a 10gal -> 20gal -> 42gal and I know I should have really done the research first but now I’m about done buying new tanks once a year haha. I was obviously looking at a 55gal tank because I’m a broke college student but I don’t want to have to buy yet another one after that. I don’t have the space for a 120/130gal tank but should I try to find ~75gal tank? I’ve been looking on Facebook market place as they usually have tanks for good prices. If anyone wants to help me out with sizing and filters for that size tank that would be very helpful! I know everyone has differing opinions on what size tank common goldfish need so please be nice

david1978

A 75 gives you more width then a 55. I much prefer it over my 55's. On my 75 I have a cut glass lid. 2 fluorescent tubes. An aquaclear 110.

flyinGourami

I would go with a 75, not too much bigger and it has more surface area I believe(which is what you want for most fish, including goldfish). Imho common goldfish CAN live in a 42, but I would upgrade because they have more swimming room and the parameters will be slightly easier to keep track of. Most filters will work, you can get a sponge filter or two or an aquaclear. I know some people use canisters but I don't think its really necessary unless you want to of course.

AquaticQueen

Welcome to Fishlore!
I agree with the others. A bigger tank would be easier to maintain and the fish would really appreciate the extra space

FinalFins

75 is the common accepted minimum for common goldfish Obviously try to find the biggest tank you can but if you get a 75 you are fine

WrenFeenix

T
Hello everyone!

I have two common goldfish in a 42gal tank. I know this is the bare minimum for this type of fish andseeing as they’ve grown quite large I’m looking at purchasing a new tank. I’ve pretty much moved them from a 10gal -> 20gal -> 42gal and I know I should have really done the research first but now I’m about done buying new tanks once a year haha. I was obviously looking at a 55gal tank because I’m a broke college student but I don’t want to have to buy yet another one after that. I don’t have the space for a 120/130gal tank but should I try to find ~75gal tank? I’ve been looking on Facebook market place as they usually have tanks for good prices. If anyone wants to help me out with sizing and filters for that size tank that would be very helpful! I know everyone has differing opinions on what size tank common goldfish need so please be nice
You could try the blue Intex square kiddie pool. It has a capacity of 90 gallons, is under $40, and has a pvc frame. I’ve found it available on Amazon.
I believe an AquaClear 110 fits on it.

It is kind of big, though.

flyinGourami

T

You could try the blue Intex square kiddie pool. It has a capacity of 90 gallons, is under $40, and doesn’t need to be leveled. I’ve found it available on Amazon.
I believe an AquaClear 110 fits on it.

It is kind of big, though.
OH yes, isn't it the intex one that solid gold aquatics uses?

WrenFeenix

OH yes, isn't it the intex one that solid gold aquatics uses?
Yup. Lots of space for the money.

goldface

I don't recommend it. Aesthetically, it's ugly and takes too much space. Buy something that you actually wouldn't mind looking at and fits nicely inside your living space; otherwise, its long term use will be questionable. Then you have to consider proper filtration. Also it being only 12" tall, it's a jumping hazard, especially with commons. Sure it's cheap, but consider the return on investment in years, and I'll say a 55 or 75g is a better deal (with adequate filtration and weekly water change schedule).

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NevermindIgnoreMe
Replies
Views
Laurynfrog
Replies
Views
Skavatar
Replies
Views