Goldfish Tank Size Myth

amylou1200
So I have a 55 litre tank which I was told would be suitable for 2 small goldfish but other people are saying otherwise.
I am hearing from some people that goldfish grow to the size of there aquarium and that 2 small goldfish will live happily in my 55 litre tank?
Is this true or not ??

others are saying I need something much bigger?? HELP

Advertisement
BabsandLoon
It is the general consensus that you need 20 gallons for the first (fancy) goldfish and 10 gallons for each additional (fancy) goldfish.

Common (comet) goldfish need much more as they grow to a much larger size.

A goldfish who "grows to the size of the tank" is stunted and not a very healthy fish.

fishkeeper19524
I don't think 55 liters are enough. 55 gallons definitely , but not liters

FinalFins
The goldfish may be happy for a while but eventually they will grow too large to be able to move around freely as they used to while they were young.

TWiG87
In addition to tank size, goldfish need a lot of filtration as they tend to be pretty messy fish.

bizaliz3
Welcome to fishlore!!

My opinion on the matter is this. If a fish isn't going to grow to the size it is supposed to, how can that be a good thing? You know? why would someone want to intentionally do that?

The stunting concept is not a myth. But the tank size alone being the cause is a myth. It's more to do with water quality. Which will be hard to keep pristine with two goldfish in a 15 gallon tank.

I know I wouldnt be the happiest if I was kept in a conditions that didnt allow me to grow properly.

To sum it up...they will survive, but they will not thrive. It's up to you as the the fish keeper if surviving is sufficient. Or if you want them to truly thrive.

I hate hate hate when people encourage a new fish keeper to keep fish in tanks too small because they will only grow to the size of the tank. I feel that is terrible advice personally

Advertisement
Drakon
55 liters is too small to house two goldfish long term. The recommended minimum for two fancy goldfish is around 115 liters (30 gallons). If the goldfish are common/comet goldfish, they NEED a much larger tank.

In regard to the fish “growing to the size of the tank”, this is actually called stunting. A fish becomes stunted when it is kept in too small of an aquarium, and will have a shortened life span as being stunted greatly affects their health.

If you have two very small fancy goldfish the 55 liter will work in the short term, but goldfish grow quickly and will soon need to be upgraded to around a 115 liter.

If the goldfish are two common/comet goldfish, it would be best to rehome them as they need very large aquariums and actually do the best in ponds.

Islandvic
A 55 liter (15 gallon) tank is perfect for a Betta.

Goldfish grow up to 8"-10" or larger.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishitryhard
  • Question
Replies
Views
AverageDewdrop
  • Question
Replies
Views