Goldfish Tank Size/Mate

thatweirdfishkid

Hey, I have a few questions...

(there are photos attached of the cute thing)

Backstory: I am going to take home a young ranchu goldfish that was being neglected for a school project soon. I have a 20-gallon tank set up for it and I plan on getting a 40 and a tank mate for it as soon as it starts getting bigger, but for now, it just needs to recover, relax, and quarantine before I put him with another fish or in a permanent tank. I think it's quite young considering that it hasn't begun growing a wen yet. Okay, here are the questions:

- How long is a healthy time to keep the fish in a 20-gallon with weekly 50% water changes (this is just asking about the ammonia levels)(I understand that a 20 is okay for one goldfish, but I just want to ask anyway)
- Would it be possible to safely keep two young ranchus in the 20 for a few months if I do 50% water changes weekly?
- For how long can it be alone until it affects the fish's wellbeing? Because I would plan on keeping it in the tank for about six months to let it get settled in, give me time to find a good tank stand, and maybe see if I can save up for a bit longer and get a bigger tank than 40, and maybe more goldies. I am willing to move it as soon as 2 months after bringing it home, but I would prefer to wait longer because I would need to put the 20 in storage and completely transfer everything to the 40 due to a lack of space; I would also be able to get a bigger tank if I wait a bit longer.
- From the photos attached, can someone please tell me how healthy it is? It seems okay and I think they're doing water changes daily, but I understand that the container is way too small. I am trying to take it home as soon as possible, but that might not be for a few days. Please tell me if he seems to have any obviously visible diseases or health issues. I wanted to attach a video, but I don't think I can do that

Also, the airstone was not working when I took the photos, but I switched it out for a working one after.

Okay. Sorry for this being so long. Thanks to anyone who can help <3
Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 1.41.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 1.41.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 1.41.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 1.41.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 1.41.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 1.42.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 1.42.08 PM.png

jtjgg

it looks ok.

should be fine in a 20g by itself for several months.

Natalie666

What a cutie, thanks for taking him in:)
Make sure to spoil him lots, with a face that cute I couldn’t imagine not giving him a few extra treats here and there

Tigerburp

Hey, I have a few questions...

(there are photos attached of the cute thing)

Backstory: I am going to take home a young ranchu goldfish that was being neglected for a school project soon. I have a 20-gallon tank set up for it and I plan on getting a 40 and a tank mate for it as soon as it starts getting bigger, but for now, it just needs to recover, relax, and quarantine before I put him with another fish or in a permanent tank. I think it's quite young considering that it hasn't begun growing a wen yet. Okay, here are the questions:

- How long is a healthy time to keep the fish in a 20-gallon with weekly 50% water changes (this is just asking about the ammonia levels)(I understand that a 20 is okay for one goldfish, but I just want to ask anyway)
He looks like a fish in dire need of love, a good tank mate would be brochis corydoras

thatweirdfishkid

it looks ok.

should be fine in a 20g by itself for several months.
Okay. Thank you so much!
What a cutie, thanks for taking him in:)
Make sure to spoil him lots, with a face that cute I couldn’t imagine not giving him a few extra treats here and there
Yeah, I came to the biology classroom one day with my friend who is taking the class and I've been going every day now even though I'm not taking the class :) I actually saved him from dying when a student accidentally put him in a container of sink water and he started to kind of pass out and I moved it to another tank with dechlorinated water as quickly as possible. Luckily, he's made a full recovery now and he's so much more active and healthy. After that incident, the teacher offered me a fish because I had mentioned to her before that I wanted a ranchu, but never got around to getting one. I have done so much more extensive research (in addition to everything I did in the past), so I hope that I can give him the amazing life that he deserves. Fresh veggies and lots of fun things to interact with.
He looks like a fish in dire need of love, a good tank mate would be brochis corydoras
I will be sure to provide him with as much love as possible :) Also, would I still be able to keep corys with it when it gets bigger? Because I don't want it trying to eat them. Thanks!

Noroomforshoe

Hi, thanks for saving the little guy. I suggest that you look into getting him a companion as soon as it is convenient for you. Goldfish are social, and having a freind or freinds will help him perk up.

I dont suggest adding cories, they have different requirements, I personally think that goldfish do best in species-only tanks.

Tigerburp

Okay. Thank you so much!

Yeah, I came to the biology classroom one day with my friend who is taking the class and I've been going every day now even though I'm not taking the class :) I actually saved him from dying when a student accidentally put him in a container of sink water and he started to kind of pass out and I moved it to another tank with dechlorinated water as quickly as possible. Luckily, he's made a full recovery now and he's so much more active and healthy. After that incident, the teacher offered me a fish because I had mentioned to her before that I wanted a ranchu, but never got around to getting one. I have done so much more extensive research (in addition to everything I did in the past), so I hope that I can give him the amazing life that he deserves. Fresh veggies and lots of fun things to interact with.

I will be sure to provide him with as much love as possible :) Also, would I still be able to keep corys with it when it gets bigger? Because I don't want it trying to eat them. Thanks!
That’s why I suggested brochis corys which are bigger in size, and they go well with goldfish I have Seen it done
This is a good video

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Megaanemp
Replies
Views
ButtercuptheOranda
Replies
Views
Sofiafish17