Goldfish Tank Question

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dojo loaches. But you need to have two or three of them. (Or more.) And be sure your filtration is adequate.

Oh. They are illegal in some jurisdictions. Check yours before ordering if they aren't available locally.

Applescruff

Valued Member
Reaction score
They may add to the bio load and offset the advantage of having them. It’s only a ten gallon tank. The goldfish (3) seem to do a good job of cleaning all left over food from the bottom. I may just stick with what I have but thanks for the answer.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hold up. You have goldfish in a 10 gallon tank?

Please, for the health of your fish upgrade as soon as possible.

Fancies need at least 20 gallons each, and commons / comets/ shubukins need 50 each fish.

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Applescruff said:
are there any type of bottom feeders that are compatable in a tank with goldfish? The water temp is never above 70 F.
Hello App...

You can't mix tropical fish with Goldfish. Goldfish are cool water fish and ideally, they need water that's cooler around 65 to 68 degrees. Tropicals need warmer water from 74 to 78 degrees. The Goldfish tank doesn't need a heater and the tropical fish tank does. Goldfish are naturally bottom feeders, so you don't need another species to do this job.

Old

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
oldsalt777 said:
Hello App...

You can't mix tropical fish with Goldfish. Goldfish are cool water fish and ideally, they need water that's cooler around 65 to 68 degrees. Tropicals need warmer water from 74 to 78 degrees. The Goldfish tank doesn't need a heater and the tropical fish tank does. Goldfish are naturally bottom feeders, so you don't need another species to do this job.

Old
Dojos aren't tropical fish. You may be thinking of khuli loaches. In any case, they aren't appropriate in a 10 gallon tank, especially one that already has 3 goldfish.

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Weather loaches are sometimes kept with goldies, but not in a tiny aquarium. If these are common/feeder type goldfish, they can get up to 12 inches and length and really need a pond. If they are fancy (twin-tailed) goldfish, then they need at least a 40-50 gallon aquarium by themselves. If you want to add something else, then you probably need to push it up even bigger.

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
maggie thecat said:
Dojos aren't tropical fish. You may be thinking of khuli loaches. In any case, they aren't appropriate in a 10 gallon tank, especially one that already has 3 goldfish.
Hi Maggie...

This species of loaches do live in cooler water, but not as cool as the water where Goldfish live. Dojos do best in water that's around the lower 70 degree range. Goldfish do best in water that's between 65 to 68 degrees. There's quite a difference. 10 gallons isn't really a good environment for either.

Old

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
oldsalt777 said:
Hi Maggie...

This species of loaches do live in cooler water, but not as cool as the water where Goldfish live. Dojos do best in water that's around the lower 70 degree range. Goldfish do best in water that's between 65 to 68 degrees. There's quite a difference. 10 gallons isn't really a good environment for either.

Old
Goldfish are often kept in ponds with dojo loaches. Goldfish are able to tolerate and thrive in water warmer than 68F. If they couldn't, they would not be kept as pond fish in places with warm climates.

I keep both types of fish. I've even kept them together.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Any fish will add to the bioload. Nothing will clean the tank for you, that's your job. And unfortunately with 3 goldies in a 10 gal, you need to be doing a lot of tank cleaning (daily 50% water changes would be my recommendation) until you can upgrade your tank size. If you can't upgrade, please rehome the goldies so they don't become stunted and die.

Applescruff

Valued Member
Reaction score
oldsalt777 said:
Hello App...

Old
Yes I know that about the different water temps, that’s why I was wondering if there was any species of bottom feeders that could withstand colder water. I soon realized after I asked the question that goldfish do clean up any leftover food very well. Thanks for taking the time .

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom