Goldfish Tank Mates 60 Gallon Tank

1. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

My current stocking is a bit controversial, but I will be keeping it as is for now. This will be long, sorry, I'm pretty long winded. I have a common goldfish (he's in QT for now, but was previously in the 60) and he's pretty severely stunted due to my terrible care for two years. I'll wait on adding any more fish until probably closer to October, but I like to be able to plan ahead. He did fine with an amano who's still in there, and he did sort of ok with some ramshorns, he ate the babies that were under 1/8". He is about 5 inches long, and part of my waiting until October is just to see if he will grow more, but he hasn't in months. Since he has been in QT I added two mystery snails, and I plan to add another amano soon.
    The tank is 4ft long × 2 feet tall × 1 foot wide. The temp varies throughout the year from 64-76 (76 is bad, I really try to keep it below that). I plan to add some more plants and turn it into a heavily planted tank. I currently have some anacharis, marimo moss balls, a java fern and some java moss and I plan to add dwarf sag, so any plant suggestions are also welcome! I know goldfish are supposed to be plant eaters, but mine isn't at all (doesn't eat anything leafy, which is bad because he doesn't eat his spinach or kale).
    Also, it turns out one of mystery snails is a male and the other is female, and my clutches will soon hatch. I'd like to know how many mystery snails I could realistically keep, if they get along with my goldfish.
    When the goldfish was in the tank, I would get maybe two or three nitrates per week, no ammonia and no nitrite.
    I would also like to add some sort of danio, I really like the look of the fire ring, gold ring, and emerald dwarf danio. How many of these would be safe to add, and what's a good number when taking into account some more mystery snails as well?
    I'm really open to any and all suggestions, I have a good amount of time to research and prepare! Thanks!

2. c

chickenghost Member Member

Hmm. I think the danios would need water a bit too warm for the goldfish. The java fern and such also need warmer water. If the goldfish isn't to big, maybe mosquito fish?

3. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

I thought danios were coldwater, 65-75°... and this java fern is actually doing much better than the one in my heated tank. The tank is about 73° right now. Mosquito fish look interesting, thanks for the suggestion!
    Edit: I may use them as a backup, I think I'm looking for something with a bit more color. Not flagfish though...

4. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

The more I look at them, the more I'm liking the mosquito fish... I'd prefer the dainos though, mainly because some people have issues with the mosquito fish nipping fancy goldfish and even though mine isn't a fancy, he's not the healthiest. Any chance you have experience with them? What are they like?
    Edit: nevermind, just found out I'd need a permit to keep them in my state and I'm not all about that.
    Edit again, sorry: I do like the live-bearer aspect of them, do you know any other compatible coldwater live-bearers? Any chance I could keep guppies or endlers if I kept the tank heated around 68-70? (Sorry for another wall of text also)

5. wrs2

wrs2 Member Member

No to endlers or guppies.
    I can't think of any other live bearers who could be in a cold water setup.

You can try white cloud mountain minnows or rosy red minnows.

6. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

Good to know, thank you! I only worry about the rosy reds because my goldfish is pretty small, and I'm not sure he will grow much more, if at all. Thanks for the WCMM, I had been looking into those a bit too. I only have the gold variety around me, are those just a different color morph? And do you think danios could work, or do they need warmer water than what I have?

7. wrs2

wrs2 Member Member

They only get to be about 3 inches so I wouldn't worry about them together. A gold fish could actually eat smaller fish, so I would try to get ones that aren't super tiny.
    Yes the gold ones are just a color variation for the WCMM and Danios should be fine as well!

8. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

Thank you! I had read previously that someone had a 6in Rosy red minnow, but after doing some more research, yeah, that was probably very untrue. Great thank you, I'll have a few months to decide between the danios, wcmm, and Rosy reds based on how much/if my goldy grows some more.