Goldfish tank mates?

1. lala29

lala29 Well Known Member Member

So, im looking to see if any fish can live with my goldfish? Something quick and colourful e.g. Neon tetras, cherry barbs etc...

I have my cherry barbs and neons in with my goldies atm but looking for a change around :)

Just wanted some suggestions of fish that could possibly live with 2 very stupid fish! :)

2. Sayba

Sayba Well Known Member Member

I know people don't really recommend warmer water fish to be with goldfish.

Zebra danios like cooler water but when the goldfish get big they might eat them, not sure. I don't know about giant zebra danios though, never seen or owned them but they may be big enough.

I always hear about people using white clouds (I think)? Not sure how big they are though, but they seem to be a popular choice. I would plant heavily if I was to add something small.

Wait for someone else to chime in though, I've never owned goldfish with another type of fish.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

3. hollie1505

hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I had 4 Large Apple Snails in with mine and they got on fine! I wouldn't mix the tropicals with Goldies, but I am of the camp that Fancies should only live with Fancies.

I have heard of people mixing them with white cloud mountain minnows and Variatus Platies and depending on tank size there's Dojo loaches too but I have no experience here. I have heard more positives about the Dojo's than the others.

What size is your tank?xxx

4. OP
    OP
    lala29

the only thing personally i would see a problem with is the feeding but i have that sorted.

My goldfish have had a 26 degree tank since i got them and they have never had a heater!

Theyre in a 29 gallon arm but i have high filtration and i don't believe they will grow much more as theyre fish shop ones which i saved and they're a bit . Also tetras etc wont grow large and have a small bioload :)

5. gremlin

gremlin Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't actually put anything else in the tank. You don't say what type of fancies you have, but some of them can grow to 8 - 9 inches in diameter. Get a couple of balloons and blow them up until they are 8 inches in diameter. Tape a paper tail and fins on to it. You could even tape a paper "cone" on for the head/nose. Even the "fish shop ones" can grow if given the care they need.

With fancy goldies, competing for food against faster swimming fish can be an issue. Also, the other fish may decide to try to munch on the fancy fins of their goldie friends.

If you are really set on having other fish, White Cloud Mountain Minnows, or Mosquito Fish, or Zebra Danios (or the long fin zebra danios if you want to stay with the fancy theme) or Rainbow Fish, or American Flag Fish would all do okay in with goldfish. But you would need to increase your tank size - just for the swimming room - since these are all fish that do better in larger groups (think at least 5-7 of them). Yes, they do have a smaller bio load, but they would do better in a larger tank. Especially as your goldies grow.

6. OP
    OP
    lala29

i have a ryukin and a fantail goldfish. Theyre around 6 years old and haven't grown for around a year. Ryukin is 4-5" and fantail is 3-4".

The goldfish will only eat stuff that floats or is green... Always been that way. The other fish will eat flakes and anything that sinks. So no feeding issues :)

I have 5 neons and 5 cherry barbs in with the goldies and the readings are 6.8 ph, 0, 0, 10-15.

Noone bothers each other and had no issues so far.

Im asking for ideas, not a dead set plan :) this is future planning... At the moment i feel its perfect for me and my two funny goldies :)

7. kittykat0725

kittykat0725 Valued Member Member

Goldies with goldies is onesstley what would be best espeically in a tank. I have very large goldies in a 350 gal goldfish pond, I have one that has been around for almost 7 years! I keep at least 10 mosquito fish with them as they eat bugs and larvae that sometimes comes to the pond. Some of the mosquito fish are smaller then my thumb and I have never had any problems. But in a small area, such as a tank there will be much more interaction between the fish that might end in the others become live food.

So after that long lived rant I am basically saying that it is best to keep goldfish with goldfish. Also goldfish do not need a heater as they are not tropical fish. But just because goldfish cant be with other fish doesnt make them boring. There are tons of different colors and variaties of goldfish that get along great. (i always use the 15-25 cent goldfish because they accually the hardiest and kindest) Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. OP
    OP
    lala29

that's a big pond! Any chance we can have a picture? :p

The only reason i have a heater is because it used to be a tropical tank and it now contains goldies and tropicals. The heater is set at 24degrees at the moment... But it hasn't come on for nearly 3 months because its so hot in my room...

9. kittykat0725

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407868777.564239.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407868836.276714.jpg

We accually might have a problem soon because I saw at least 20 baby mosquito fish this mornig, might have to sell them.

10. B

Britt Valued Member Member

I would say no other fish at all unless you plan on getting a bigger tank for the goldies and a different tank for the tropical fish. Goldies should be with goldies and sometimes not even that. They may seem ok but it's not the best for them. (Don't know have to make a new paragraph on my kindle so ill have to include it here but gorgeous pond kitty wish I had one I miss my comet)

11. kittykat0725

Thanks Britt

12. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

29 gallons is good for the goldies and only the goldies. I would remove the other fish, personally, as the neons in particular are not compatible with the goldies' needs.

13. OP
    OP
    lala29

what are the different needs? As they have had the same tank parameters and temperature long before the goldies were in with the neons.

14. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Issues with overstocking aside, the neons need soft acidic water with a higher temp than goldies tend to prefer. It's great that yours are getting on fine for now, but keeping them in water outside of what they require is likely to shorten their lifespan significantly. Same for the goldies - if you have them in water set best for other fish, the neons in this case, their lifespan is likely to be much shorter than it would otherwise be.

15. OP
    OP
    lala29

well the temperature in the tank without a heater is 26. I also have a small heater in both my smaller tanks where the water is also 26 with the heaters switched off. The goldfish have been in 26 degree water since i got them so i cant help that unfortunately.

My ph of the tank the fish used to be in was 6.6, and this tank is at 6. And they have survived many years with this water so wouldn't they have adapted to it?

16. sliderdkp

sliderdkp Valued Member Member

I have a nice healthy goldfish for about 5 years now. Did have another, but it got a tumor and died. My goldfish that was left seemed lonely His tank temp is an even 70 F. 20 gallon. I added some zebra danios. They are doing fine in there, but occasionally nip his tail when he is resting. Goldie.jpg

17. kittykat0725

sliderdkp beautiful goldie

18. T

Tank Girl Valued Member Member

A ph of 6 is pretty low for goldfish. It should be up around 7.4 - 7.6 or so. The further away the water ph is from the blood ph of the fish, the harder the fish has to work to maintain their ph. They may have adapted to it, but it's not what's best for them.

With a ph that low there is very little (if any) nitrification going on, either.

19. G

GuyCO Valued Member Member

I had success keeping rainbowfish with goldfish. I placed 3 rainbows in a 55 with 1 goldfish. They lived happily until 5 years later my goldie died. He was 7 years old. But my rainbow is still alive living with angels now.

20. hollie1505

hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I have also heard good things about rainbow shiners but I would upgrade before adding anything else, again I am of the goldies with goldies camp so have no experience to share.x