Goldfish tank help

1. ezquerrarichard Initiate Member

Anyone got advice on goldfish, tank (37 g); is cloudy after 2 50% changes + placa diez and smallest of4 hangs at top? Please.

[​IMG]

2. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

How long has the tank been set up? How long have you had the fish? Have you tested the water? It looks like maybe a bacterial bloom.....

That is pretty crowded for a 37 gallon tank :-(

3. ezquerrarichard Initiate Member

7 or 8 mo

4. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

can you test the water?

5. ezquerrarichard Initiate Member

6. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

well that is likely the source of your problems....How did the nitrites get so out of control on a tank that was established for 7 or 8 months? did you just add fish? Had you been doing regular water changes before you noticed the ammonia and nitrite spikes?

7. ezquerrarichard Initiate Member

Terrible schedule for water I did not know proper time frame. Actually never had goldfish they poo slot.

8. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

Very true...which is why 4 is probably too many for your tank.

I suggest you do daily water changes for a little while. Or every other day. Until the cloudiness goes away and the fish start to improve. I don't see a need for salt....water changes will make all the difference. Once things get back in order...you need to do water changes weekly for optimal water quality.

I also suggest you look into rehoming a couple of them....and maybe just keep two in there? I don't really know what is appropriate for fancy goldfish....

9. ezquerrarichard Initiate Member

I am, thank u so much for your help and time.

10. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

I am not sure if I was much help!! But There are a lot of great folks on here and you won't regret joining. Welcome to fishlore!! Glad to have you!

11. ezquerrarichard Initiate Member

You were , I suspected relocation was gonna be the answer. The goldfish grew so much.

12. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

Well I am sorry you are in the position to have to re-home, It isn't always an easy thing to do!! But I am glad you are open to it. :)

13. ezquerrarichard Initiate Member

Yup C'ya

Cu not fish I love those guys

14. ezquerrarichard Initiate Member

Hey is a recirculator necessary because I hav enough air to makeshift a second tank. What do you think

15. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What's a recirculator? Is the filter in your current tank run off an air pump?

16. ezquerrarichard Initiate Member

No the recirculating pump with long intake and waterfall.

17. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Ah, so is it the type of filter that hangs on the side of the tank?

18. ezquerrarichard Initiate Member

Yes, do I need one for a temporary tank.

I want to put a couple in a sterilite plastic tub, but I don't have a second recirculator

19. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, goldfish need a filter, and the biggest one possible because they're such messy fish. What kind of filter do you have? Perhaps it's strong enough that you could get a much bigger tank and just move the filter over with all of the fish.

20. ezquerrarichard Initiate Member

I got specific for tank so ...... OK so I'll just keep an eye on levels. I appreciate you, I never would of known to change water other than3 wks.