How long has the tank been running?
About 5-6months
Does it have a filter?
Marineland Emperor
Does it have a heater?
No
What is the water temperature?
70°
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
6 goldfish. 4 fancy, 2 common.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
Every other day. No water changed since beginning of treatment Tuesday.

How much of the water do you change?
50%
What do you use to treat your water?
Usually nothing, but I have a bottle of top fin water conditioner now.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
No
What do you use to test the water?
API master
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia:0-0.25 looks in between.
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0-5. Looks in between.
pH:7.6

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
Every day, 2-3 times a day, usually 2.

How much do you feed your fish?
Enough to eat within a couple minutes.

What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Omega one pellets
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
2- a year 3- 5months 1-6 weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
Tuesday morning
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
White spots on a few fins. Some minor fraying on fins as well. Today, more white spots and terrible fins.
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
API super ich cure, API melafix
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
Lethargy and periodically gasping. Frayed and torn fins as well as streaks of blood within the tail.
Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

Tuesday I turned the lights on the tank and saw one of my fish lying on the sand with just a few spots on its tail fin, a couple of spots were on two other fish as well, but they were swimming as normal. I had done a larger than normal water change the day before, so I figured that was what shocked them enough to give them ich.

I did a quick search and someone who had almost the exact situation as me had used melafix and super ich cure and had almost immediate results. I grabbed a bottle of both, and dosed that night. Wednesday morning upon the lights on, another fish, a new addition, was by his side lying on the substrate. The new one will swim freely, but the one boy will only move for food, and will not eat as much as usual. I dosed only melafix yesterday, but no one was worse or better.

I turned the lights on today and 3 were resting on the sand. The sick boy has more spots on him than before and no changes to anyone else, but one of my fancys tail is in tatters. Like she had a rip earlier this week, it was no big deal just a tiny tear, but this is crazy. About half of my fish have red streaks as well.

Is this normal for what I am treating with? Should I do another dose tonight? I have 2 in there that look and act healthy, should I yank them out while I can? I just think that this is making everything worse. Is it velvet? I'm not sure what velvet looks like but I heard it looks like ich.

Lovejoy

Boost

CrazedHoosier

Ich is usually introduced to the aquarium by a new fish, or becomes established via weakened immune system usually from stress. It acts fast, and can have most fish down and out within a couple days. The problem with goldfish is, you can’t turn the heat up to get the ich off the fish faster, so you’ll have to be patient. Ich has a lifecycle and a fish host is part of it. Once it falls off is when the medicine will come into play.

Lovejoy

They are even worse today. Does heat and salt work faster? I'm about to lose this whole tank if I don't do something.

CrazedHoosier

I’m really surprised no goldfish keepers have gotten on here to help. Ich completes its cycle faster in warmer water. They’ll fall off your fish faster in warmer water, and when the fall off, that’s when they’re vulnerable to the medicine. Keep your tank dosed with the ich medication, and I would advise increasing the temp to 76 degrees. I’m not sure how warm of water goldfish can take, though, so be careful. In tropical tanks, which is what I have, we typically heat up to at least 80 degrees.

Lovejoy

That's what I was thinking about doing. They also have like 5x the spots they had last night. No one ate today and the fish in the picture above can no longer swim down. She is floating at the surface. I think I might lose the entire tank. I have hope in 2-3 making it but even they are iffy.

Lovejoy

I lost all of my fancys last night. On a brighter note the worst comet is swimming for the first time in 5 days. I think they will make it.

CrazedHoosier

I’m so sorry for your loss. Ich is one of the simplest, yet most deadly things we experience in this hobby. R.I.P little Goldies.

I hope your comet pulls through.

MD_Plants

Sorry for your lost. I love that you spent time to fill out the full “application”.. it’s really helpful. As others say raise the temp and keep treating!

Lovejoy

I appreciate your condolences. Yesterday night I moved everyone to a smaller tub and treated with heat, salt, and a different ich med. The fancies were all floating around the top of the 65 while I was setting up the tub. I knew they weren't going to survive the night. I have hope for the ones left.

Lovejoy

They passed last night.

Latest threads

Top Bottom