Goldfish Tank Dimension Advice?

1. Honeybee92305 Initiate Member

So I am looking to buy a new tank for my Red Cap Oranda. She is about a yr old approx. 2 inches long and is currently living in a 20 gallon long tank. Anyway, lately she has seemed depressed and listless, resting at the bottom of the tank facing the corner. She will become more active at her feedings and if I come toward the tank but otherwise she is just sedentary. AMMONIA AND NITRITE AND ARE BOTH 0. Nitrates are 10, so I don't think its a water quality issue... I thought perhaps she might be depressed and lonely since I know goldies are social and like to have that stimulation. In order to get her buddy I need to upgrade to a 30 gallon (I live in a dorm and cannot accomodate anything larger) as far as space goes it would fit better in the available space if I got a 30 gallon bowfront (taller rather than longer) but I had heard that increased surface area in long tanks is better for oxygen exchange. So to get to the point... would it still be beneficial to get the 30 even though its not ideal dimensions???? Or to overstock the 20 long just so I can get my seemingly depressed goldie some company?

2. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

A standard 29 gallon has the same dimensions as a 20L with added height.

3. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

More water means more stable parimeters. (Even though yours are fine) the bigger the tank the easier it is to take care of.

But you will need to get a bigger tank, a 30g is not big enough for 2 fancy goldfish. Maybe while they are both 2 inches but they will need bigger.

4. BlissfulBetta Member Member

If 30 gallons is all you can accommodate, I don't suggest getting a buddy for your goldfish. Most people suggest 30 gallons for the first fancy golfish, plus an extra 10 gallons for each additional goldfish. I would still upgrade to a 30 gallon tank, so your fish can have more room.

5. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

the whole 30g for 1 or 20g for 1, In my opinion it depends which specie of fancy goldfish where talking about , orandas get 8" while a ranchu or lionhead only get 5" ex in a 55g I wouldn't put 4 orandas but I would put 2 oranadas , 1 ranchu and 1 lionhead which technically defeats the whole 30g for 1 ect... I have a 65g with 5 fancy goldfish but different fancies ranging in different full grown sizes. IMO

none the less tho length is more important then height with fancies , so to answer your question no I wouldn't unless you can get your hands on a 30g long which is 36" in length and I would house your current oranda with a ranchu or lionhead.