Goldfish tank: Bare Bottom or Sand?

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by yogosans14, Jul 12, 2015.

1. yogosans14Valued MemberMember

Hi, I have 2 small fancy goldfish in a 20 long tank and will be upgrading to a 40 gallon breeder very soon. Should I go with a bare bottom?I know it will make it easier to clean and upkeep but I feel the fish might get bored not having anything to sift through. Ive seen many people like SolidGold using nice black sand as a substrate and her tanks are seem to be doing very well the only problem that worries me is goldfish eating the sand or the sand getting into my HOB filters and ruining the motors.

What should I do?

2. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Many people who use sand substrate will put a prefilter on their intake tube to prevent sand from being sucked in. As for bare bottom for Goldie's, yes I have heard of it being done this way before.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

If you go bare bottom, you can put plants in Terracotta pots. People can get very creative decorating a bare bottom gold fish tank.

4. Gena

GenaWell Known MemberMember

I believe that right now Solidgold's tanks don't have substrate? At least in her most recent videos. From what I've gathered from her videos, it is not a benefit or detriment other than that some people think it looks nicer and it's harder to clean. I think most of the time her tanks do not have substrate.

If I had goldfish, I'd do barebottom. I think it'd be so much easier and I like the ultra mod look for goldfish tanks.

5. bellachanWell Known MemberMember

I just got a new goldfish tank :) i decided to do barebottom. But I spraypainted the bottom and back (outside) black. Looks pretty cool! I do have a few large pebbles in the tank to catch debris that the intake may not. So it looks less messy. Don't get me wrong you still have to keep up with the maintenance :)

I'm pretty happy with it :) and my new goldies!

6. OP
    OP
    y

yogosans14Valued MemberMember

Yes I have seen this in some people's tanks I may try it at first and see what how it works out.

7. OP
    OP
    y

yogosans14Valued MemberMember

It looks great!what spray paint did you use just regular black?

8. bellachanWell Known MemberMember

Yes :) I made sure to find a matte finish nothing glossy :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice