Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Goldfish Swimming Weird Help

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Caitlyn6758, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Caitlyn6758New MemberMember

Hi! My goldfish has always been swimming weirdly ever since I got him 5 months ago. I used to think it was a swim bladder issue but I've tried home remedies and nothing has worked. When he swims and often ends up nose down or on his side and he swims backward a lot. But he still manages to get around just fine. He also isnt growing. I got 3 goldfish at the same time that were the same size and the others are easily twice his size. I watch and make sure he eats enough but I cant figure out why hes like this.

2. TristenValued MemberMember

Can you provide some photos? What size is the tank?

3. Caitlyn6758New MemberMember

It's about 50 gallons

Attached Files:

4. TristenValued MemberMember

I have no idea all I can think is swim bladder. Have you tried every method of curing it?

5. Caitlyn6758New MemberMember

I've only tried feeding him different foods, like peas or blueberries, that's what a lot of blogs suggested. They said it would help move any excess air out.

6. TristenValued MemberMember

Yeah what I’ve read to do is usually raise the temp of the tank. Then wait like 3 or 4 days without feeding the fish then feed it the peas. Did you do those steps?

7. Caitlyn6758New MemberMember

I didnt feed him for a few days and then fed him peas, but I didnt make the tank warmer. I'll try that next time!

8. TristenValued MemberMember

What is the tank currently at. How long has he been like this?

9. Caitlyn6758New MemberMember

It's at 74 Fahrenheit. and hes been like this ever since I got him about 5 months ago. He was tiny when I got him so im assuming he was born weird. It seems like he doesn't use his tail fin at all, so maybe he has a birth defect or something

10. TristenValued MemberMember

It could be that. It’s very sad he swims like that because most people end up euthanizing the fish because it can’t stay healthy due to stress. I don’t encourage doing that unless absolutely necessary but hope you can find away to fix it. About raising the temp though some places recommended 86 degrees but I think that’s way to extreme especially for your healthy fish so fast. I’d say slowly get the temp to about 80 and see what happens. I’m not too sure but if he’s completely healthy and just has trouble swimming maybe there’s a way to fix it somehow.

11. FiscCyningWell Known MemberMember

What staple food is he on? Fancy goldfish, due to their modified shorter bodies, are definitely more prone to swim bladder problems. With chronic swim bladder problems, it’s best to avoid dry foods like flakes, pellets, and granules. Have you tried a gel food like repashy? Both their Dandy Oranda and Soilent Green formulas are good for goldies.

12. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Some fancies will always have this issue no matter what you do. It's genetics. It's a chance you take when you decide to purchase fancy goldfish. They also tend to live less than a third of the potential lifespan of a Common or Hibuna goldfish. If this continues, then it's up to you to decide to euthanize or not.

13. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

carp and goldfish have 2 air bladders, one in the front and one in the back. it seems like the rear air bladder has too much air causing him to float tail up.

if this is how he's been since you got him 5 months ago, then it would be genetics/birth defect.