Goldfish Swim Bladder

ceh9634

I have an oranda goldfish who's sick right now. From what I can tell, it's just swimbladder issues but nothing is working.

I'm getting desperate, he doesn't show any other symptoms other than his eyes are a little cloudy and he has two white spots on his scales which I know aren't ich, perhaps a fungal or bacterial infection? They look similar to the white spots that typically appear on oranda's wen.

I've been treating the tank with aquarium salts.

It looks like he's trying to eat, I fasted him for 3 days then tried feeding him peas.

I've been doing daily water changes, around 20% in the 55 gallon aquarium that houses two other goldfish. Water conditions are normal other than high nitrate.

Should I get API Melafix and see if that does anything? I'd have to treat the other two fish too because I can't get another tank.

Please and thank you.

dojafish

It would help to see pictures of the fish. Random dosing could do more harm than good if you don't know what you're treating for. You could probably get Polyguard if you want to do that as its marketed to be a gentle but somewhat effective all-around medicine for treating multiple and/or unknown ailments.

Depending on the appearance and location of the white spots, it might be tubercules. That is these white bumps that appear on Male goldfish usually most prominently on the gill plates and pectoral fins when they're in the mood to breed. I've attached a picture of my Sarasa Comet whose tubercules are clearly visible on his gill plates and you might be able to see some raised ones at the base of his pectoral fin.

Definitely do some bigger water changes to get those nitrates down to about less than 20-40 ppm, and try to regulate that. You may need to monitor your parameters throughout a week and see how much accumulates and adjust feeding and/or cleaning schedules accordingly. It could begin to help rule out one factor contributing to the symptoms of his ailment.

What food do you feed them usually?

Attachments

• IMG_20180417_014226_869.jpg
    IMG_20180417_014226_869.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 40

Skavatar

what are the numbers? to most fish keepers, "high nitrates" usually means 40ppm.

if you do the math on 20% water change, that is only removing 10ppm. when fish are suffering some kind of illness, you should do large water changes, 50-75%. that'll not only remove a lot of the nitrates, but also the toxins and misc in the water that we don't actually test for.

Poor water quality is the leading cause of stress and diseases, other than new fish that were already sick from the store.

Cloudy eye is usually bacterial infection(sometimes parasite). Do a very large water change then treat the whole tank with Melafix.
10 Goldfish Eye Diseases: Symptoms and Treatments

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Skavatar
Replies
Views
sydrc
Replies
Views
FishRescueStory
Replies