Goldfish Stocking

Celestial

Reaction score
Okay so my 65 gallon goldfish tank has a pearlscale goldfish and a Moor. I am really wanting a comet or shubunkin goldfish (Any single tail really). Is my tank too small or could I put one in?

I recently added another filter and I am pretty confident that filtration is no issue so this is a matter of size.

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Single tailed goldfish really need a pond. A comet needs about 75 gallons by itself. It's also better to keep fancies with fancies, and single tails with single tails. You have two fish that are more challenged when it comes to feeding. They would have an even harder time if they shared a finite space (a tank) with a fast swimming fish.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Agreed with above. But to not be a total hypocrite, I’m gonna try it myself with my 65g. Here’s the MAJOR point. Jupiter is already stunted, he’s never gonna reach his full size and I know him to be a softie and coward when it comes to other fish. (He let zebra danios make a meal of his fins and didn’t even twitch for crying out loud!) that being said, he’s also 6 pushing 7 inches long. my Oranda I got as a rescue otherwise I never would have bought one while I have Jupe. They’re seperate now, and so far my little girl is figuring it out from the loaches that if she dosen’t get in there, she dosen’t get food. If it dosen’t work with Jupe, I will be immediately rehoming her.

But all in all, I would not sugget deliberately doing it becuase of how the fancies can be outcompete for food. And that’s aside from the fact that single tails just get too big for the average tank.

Celestial

Reaction score
Well that sucks. Are there any fancy varieties that are less round? I really wanted something a bit more active than my pearlscale. (The more active of the two)
Maybe something else. . .
What about white clouds or a ropefish? I have been told that they can be kept together by a guy at the local fish store. I can see the white clouds, but the ropefish sounds fishy.
Should I just quit looking at the oddballs and just look for another fancy goldfish?

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Celestial said:
Well that sucks. Are there any fancy varieties that are less round? I really wanted something a bit more active than my pearlscale. (The more active of the two)
What about white clouds or a ropefish? I have been told that they can be kept together by a guy at the local fish store. I can see the white clouds, but the ropefish sounds fishy.
Should I just quit looking at the oddballs and just look for another fancy goldfish?
Is it just those two goldies? Look into dojo/weather loaches. They are cool water, active fish and I love them to death. I have three (one came with my fancy) and the one will give me kisses. They do prefer sand over gravel and I *highly* suggest the tank overhaul of its needed. My newest guy spent his whole life on gravel and within 24 hours was completely buried in sand.
And yes, that is a ropefish in there. They are social creatures (didn’t know before I got him) but he and Sandy (the blonde he’s with ) are best buddies and are aways together.
F1D37188-98C6-4322-9EFA-DA01C15EAA24.png

White clouds would work, I have a single one in this tank. He’s number three on my list of “species that I technically shouldn’t have because they either highly frowned upon or are flat out illegal”. So far he’s doing great with a pair of red tailed guppies.

Celestial

Reaction score
Actually my tank already has sand. I thought about dojo loaches, but I always heard that you need at least three. How is the ropefish with the goldfish? I have always like the long fish. (I have a peacock eel in my 75 gallon community)

The Petco near me just got two ropes that I REALLY wanted, but passed on because I didn't know if they could go with goldfish.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Celestial said:
Actually my tank already has sand. I thought about dojo loaches, but I always heard that you need at least three. How is the ropefish with the goldfish? I have always like the long fish. (I have a peacock eel in my 75 gallon community)

The Petco near me just got two ropes that I REALLY wanted, but passed on because I didn't know if they could go with goldfish.
It depends on the floor space of your tank. Mine has weird dimensions because of my goldfish. Dojo’s don’t get nearly as big as ropes either.

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How big do ropefish get? Pretty large, don't they? And carnivorous?

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Celestial said:
You want a single-tail, you might be interested in the Tamasaba. Their caudal peduncle is also straight and not deformed like many fancy varieties. This, coupled with the single-tail, makes them very capable and powerful swimmers. Interestingly, they were actually developed by koi breeders. They are even kept with koi and are often the first ones that come up to feed.

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They are interesting fish and can get even larger than ryukins .. easily reaching 10 inches. Couple that with powerful swimming and I'm not sure it would fit in with the two fish currently in the tank, neither of which are probably exceptionally strong swimmers or adept at getting to food quickly. Really, you chose two types that are just not .. that ... streamlined. It's not their fault.

Celestial

Reaction score
Galathiel said:
They are interesting fish and can get even larger than ryukins .. easily reaching 10 inches. Couple that with powerful swimming and I'm not sure it would fit in with the two fish currently in the tank, neither of which are probably exceptionally strong swimmers or adept at getting to food quickly. Really, you chose two types that are just not .. that ... streamlined. It's not their fault.
I know they aren't very streamlined, but that is why they are just so **** cute! I don't know, I have also had my eye on some metallic silver fantail goldfish too. (Or as I call them, "Second Place" goldfish) maybe I should just get one of those.

My mother doesn't make the decision any easier. She says that the comet will either be eaten or put in a bowl by some cheap parent and coming with me may not be ideal, but it is better than the most likely alternatives for it. I mean she is right, but still. I'll probably get the silver fantail, but I'll take a look at the dojo loaches too.
1525293728097.jpg
1525293813461.jpg

BaraYoukai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not going one way or the other on this, but hand feeding might solve your competition problem if you didn't get a round body verity of goldfish.

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would get the fantail personally. Of course, I'm biased. I love fantails, well, most ... goldfish. I had planned to add one to my tank, but I'm full. I ordered two fish for my tank and they sent three! Nice of them but ugh!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom