Goldfish Stocking

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by Justkeepswimming01, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Justkeepswimming01

Justkeepswimming01 Well Known Member Member

Hey all I'm back to posting! I had a rough few months so posting on here wasn't a big deal- I have been lurking though. Anyways I downstocked my 55G tank to just my one goldfish (I believe he's an Oranda). My plan is to get another goldfish friend for him- however I've read conflicting info on how many will fit. I'd like to do 3 in the 55 but I've read some places say 60 is the minimum. Would this be do-able? I already do large water changes twice a week. My plan was to do the oranda, a black moor, and some type of calico.

Parameters now are 0,0,20 I have a heater and two filters running on it.

2. BlissfulBetta

BlissfulBetta Valued Member Member

I think it would be best to just have 2 goldfish in the tank. Three may be pushing it, bioload wise. :)

3. BlissfulBetta

I just realized your said your tank is heated. What is it heated to? Goldfish do not need a heated tank and do best in waters 60-75°F

4. OP
    OP
    Justkeepswimming01

I am aware they don't need a heater- it's set to 70 I just don't want the temp to change too much of my AC is on or anything- and this used to be a tropical tank and it will probably be again one day . It's just there as a precaution lol. Also I meant to write what kind of filters I have
    Tetra whisper 30-60g and Topfin 75G.
    Do you think having two goldfish will be enough "friends" for them? I read they like to have other goldfish with them.[​IMG][​IMG]
    This is the guy I have now

5. BlissfulBetta

Oh, I'm sorry!:) I understand:) And yea, two should be fine!

6. OP
    OP
    Justkeepswimming01

No need to apologize!
    Any food recommendations for goldfish? It has to be cost effective also. Currently I have regular flakes and sinking shrimp pellets.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  7. BlissfulBetta

Oh yea!:)
    I would recommend frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms, as well as sinking pellets like Omega One Goldfish pellets in the small size. Repashy Soilent Green Gel food can be pricey upfront, but even the small bottle lasts forever!:) Goldfish like flakes, but if the flakes float they can cause swim bladder issues when the goldfish eats them at the surface. My goldfish enjoyed flakes too, but I couldn't find a way to make them sink without the flakes polluting his tank water, so I feed sinking pellets instead. Really it's up to you!:)
    Edit: What brand are your shrimp pellets? They sound awesome and I'd love to get some for my goldfish. And your goldfish is too cute!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  8. OP
    OP
    Justkeepswimming01

Yeah I'm really trying to switch from flakes because of the swim bladder stuff. I have some dried bloodworms that I give sometimes as treats but they're also floating. I think I'll see if my lps has the omega one pellets though.

9. BlissfulBetta

I know Petcos carry Omega One, if that helps. :)
    Flakes and dried bloodworms are fine as long as they're soaked in tank water until they sink.

10. OP
    OP
    Justkeepswimming01

Yeah petco and pets mart are the closest stores to me- I'll check out the food selection when I have time to go get a friend for my current fish

11. BlissfulBetta

Awesome!:) What brand are your shrimp pellets? I'd love to pick some up for my fish!

12. FishL:))

FishL:)) Well Known Member Member

Awe..maybe I should setup a goldfish aquarium... :) Your's is super cute. :)

13. OP
    OP
    Justkeepswimming01

They're wardley shrimp pellets I used to feed them to my corydoras- not sure if they're meant for goldfish but as they're what I have now they'll do lol

14. happygolucky

happygolucky Well Known Member Member

+1 on the Repashy Soilent Green. Seems pricey, but is the best food for fish with such distorted bodies and common swim bladder issues. You can order it from DandyOrandas.com, I also recommend checking out their goldfish when looking for a friend for your oranda!

15. OP
    OP
    Justkeepswimming01

I've thought about ordering fish online and even looked into it I simply can't afford how much it ends up being lol. I do love to "window" shop though!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice