Goldfish Staying On The Bottom

1. Hasum

Hasum New Member Member

Hello,

I'm new here and I just came to the forum looking for advice. I have 4 kinda big goldfish in a 200l aquarium with a Cannister Filter and weekly changes of water. For some reason they all looked really lazy staying in the bottom so I thought it had some kind of bacteria and looking it up on internet I decided to use Metronidozol which had a great effect on them but they remained lazy (but not staying in the bottom anymore). If someone has an idea, it could help.

2. bopsalot

bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Hello and welcome! You'd do best to start your own new thread for questions and advice. The hard part is navigating to the appropriate forum (goldfish forum or beginner forum), then at the bottom click the create new thread button.

That said, I don't keep goldfish myself, but know a little bit about them. You have a 52-ish gallon tank and 4 big goldies. This may be a potential problem. Whether it is a small problem or a big one depends on what kind of goldfish you have. Most "fancy" breed goldfish grow to around 5 inches. Some are larger. These goldfish need, if you have 4 of them, about a 60 gallon tank minimum to grow and thrive. Anything less will stress them out somewhat, and they could get sick. Filtration could be an issue. Goldfish are messy and have a relatively high bioload, and most experienced keepers seem to use double filtration to keep things safe and stable. Some people accidentally keep their goldfish too warm, thinking they are tropical. But they are cool water fish, keep them at room temperature. Even room temperature is a little too warm for them really, probably not ideal, and somewhat stressful, IMO. But room temperature is fine. If you can, keep them in the upper 60s. Finally, make sure the water is clean and well aerated. Ammonia is a common problem with goldfish and nitrates accumulate quickly with goldfish. Test your water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Make sure your canister filter's outflow is disturbing the surface adequately.

If your goldfish are common/comet goldies, then you may have a big problem, because they could never do well in such a small tank, except when very, very young. Comets need 180 gallons minimum, preferably a large backyard pond. They grow to well over a foot long, and if you have comets that are not growing out due to the tank size, then they are stunted and not in a healthy situation at all. They would need to be re-homed to a large pond or a huge tank, or else they will certainly get sick. I hope this helps, good luck!

3. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

Can u tell us ur parameters..goldfish on the bottom of the tank point 2 bad water quality.

4. OP
    OP
    Hasum

Hasum New Member Member

Update: Someone recommended me to put this flagyl (Metronidazol) directly in the aquarium and shut down my filter. It did the trick. Apparently the goldfish had bacteria so what it did was kill all the bad bacteria.

Yes, I know, but my parameters are 7.5 PH, 0 nitrates and nitrites and I do weekly change of waters so I didnt know what it was.

Thank you for your comment though

Yes, thank you for making my own threat, I am new here so I wasn't sure how to do so.

5. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

If u have no nitrates u unfortunately are void of a nitrogen cycle. I also notice u r testing with test strips which r infamously innacurate. I recommend purchasing the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. I also recommend purchasing Prime and Stability by Seachem. Prime detoxifies ammonia nitrite and nitrate at 1ppm for 24hours while Stability is ur bottled bacteria designed to use with Prime. Goldfish have quite the bioload..a nitrogen is 100% necessary to keep ur fish (all fish) healthy and thriving. My hypothesis is that ammonia toxicity is the cause of the behaviour in ur fish.