Goldfish Spot!

1. AtomicMudkip

AtomicMudkip Valued Member Member

Hello all,
    Yesterday I noticed one of my fancy goldfish had a spot on it's tail. I have no idea what it is or how it came to be. Fully cycled 40 gallon tank with 2 other fancy goldfish in it. None of them are aggressive and there is nothing sharp for it to cut it on. Can someone help identify it for me and tell me how to treat it? It is very slightly raised and looks as if there is a spot head inside it I don't suppose goldfish get acne?
    Params 0-0-15
    thanks,
    ~Mudkipz
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

It looks like a spot where an anchorworm had been attached or maybe is beginning to grow. I would certainly suspect parasites of some kind. Do you see anything unusual on any of your other goldfish?

3. OP
    OP
    AtomicMudkip

No nothing is wrong with the others. I only noticed it a couple of days ago. But I think it is an anchor worm.[​IMG] it's not very clear in the photo, but it has grown since those photos.
    ~Mudkipz

4. Aquaphobia

I don't know what the treatment for those looks like. I expect if there's one there must be more so I would treat the whole tank. Doesn't Flowingfins keep goldfish?

5. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I'm down to one, unfortunately. I'm not the best with fish diseases, so I can't help here.

6. OP
    OP
    AtomicMudkip

Ok, I looked online which said to remove the worm and isolate the fish. I removed as much of the worm as I could, but I think there is still some still deep in there. I'm worried because I have read that it rots and causes infection. However, it is better me do something about it than leave it to consume him so I'll cross the infection bridge if/when it comes to it. Also, you are meant to treat with some anti-crustacean treatment but it is very expensive and I don't know how to get it in the uk. The worm looked very young so it may not have had a chance to reproduce. I will update this thread if something else occurs. Any one know how long I should isolate the fish for?
    ~Mudkipz

7. A

Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

Look up the anchor worm life cycle, keep it isolated for a week longer than that. I would assume it would be good. I also thought any anti parasite medicine could kill anchor worms off though, so take that with a grain of salt

8. Aquaphobia