40 Gallon Tank Goldfish spawning

Jennalovesanimals

Hello, I have 3 fancy goldfish in my 40 gallon breeder tank (before you say anything they are going to be moved to a tank over 100 gallons within the next 1-2 years): a 6 inch oranda and 6 inch black moor (counting their tails) and a 3 inch calico fantail. As far as I’m aware, goldfish begin spawning in April and I thought that it would be really interesting to raise some goldfish fry. So I’m wondering.. do they spawn on their own or do they need my help? How old do they have to be? I don’t know the age of my oranda because I found him at the store last weekend with black spots of ammonia burn on the sides/bottom of his wen, a little bit on his scales, and some black streaks on his fins in tank water that reeked like rotting fish but he was absolutely gorgeous so I ran home and got a 5 gallon bucket and picked him up. In my tank he’s been doing great, swimming very actively and eating like a little hog. I’ve been adding stress coat with water changes to help him heal faster but any recommendations on that are welcome. I’ve had my black moor for about 9 months and I’m fairly sure that it’s a female because of the extremely rounded body shape and huge barrel belly compared to the slimmer, less arched body shape of the oranda. As of right now they do not have a heater but if a heater will help them breed then I can get one. Can anyone give me any info or tips on goldfish breeding or if these guys are even able to breed this season? I’ll attach pics of them below. They swim next to each other a lot and sometimes the oranda likes to bump his head into the black moor as they swim but I don’t think I’d classify it as spawning behavior at this point. Ps the last pic of the oranda was when I just brought him home and he was scared and hovering near the bottom of the tank

IMG_2833.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2836.JPG
    IMG_2836.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 65

Coradee

Giving this a bump up for you hope our fancy goldfish keepers can answer your questions today

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NahNah
  • ButtercuptheOranda
  • Goldfish
Replies
Views
jtjgg
  • Question
Replies
Views