Goldfish Sick? Question

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by kleerp, Apr 15, 2018.

1. kleerp

kleerpNew MemberMember

Ok - so my goldfish has something wrong with him and I cannot identify what it is. There's nothing physically wrong that I can see - he look fine.
    Before you ask - his 20 gallon tank is fully cycled - haven't had ammonia or nitrites in a long time. Just checked again and they are zero. I have had problems keeping the nitrates down - so I've been doing water changes 2x weekly. Not sure how to keep them super low or if that's even possible.
    For the last week he's started hanging out along the bottom, not swimming around much, not flapping his fins much, and almost seems to sort of drift along with the current created by the pump. Kind of like he starts floating up (rear first), flaps his fins to keep himself down, and repeats. The only other new thing I've noticed this last week is he's doing 1 of 2 things. Either throwing up or going to the bathroom. I've been finding reddish brown things floating up top that sort of look like little tubes...segments of a worm? Not sure how to describe them. But a few times I also found basically what looks like tiny clearish white sausage casings with a white stringy thing trailing off the end floating around, too.
    I do not know if that is normal - if I just happen to be catching it when I get up or come home and usually the filter takes care of it - or if this is new. I did actually see a tiny squiggle of reddish brown detach from between his belly and fin - way smaller than the stuff I've been finding floating around - so i'm not sure if he's going to the bathroom and spitting stuff up - or none of the above. And no idea what the white-ish stuff is.
    But he continues to lurk at the bottom, slowly moving when he does, not swimming much. Skipped feeding him yesterday and today gave him a few pieces of green peas.
    Any ideas on what might be wrong? I would appreciate any advice because I have no idea what to do to make him feel better.
    Thank you.
    Oh, he's a few inches long and has a 50 gallon fluval pump going that contains the sponge, carbon and bio-media. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Jenoli42

Jenoli42Well Known MemberMember

I'm sorry you're having issues. :( This doesn't sound good. unless you feed bloodworm, it sounds like your goldfish may have internal parasites. it also sounds like there's a swim bladder issue.

@Goldiemom may be able to help (sorry for tagging you) and here's a link to a fish vet that might help you narrow down what's wrong so you can treat appropriately. he's got a few videos that could match what's going on with your goldfish :)

The Fish Doctor

3. Gypsy13

Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

Ok. Even if you just checked the water, do a PWC. Two questions: has there been anything extra noisy or otherwise stressful to a fish around? Have you seen either red worms or white stringy poo actually coming from your fish? Camallanus Worms tend to hang on unless medicated so they wouldn’t be floating around. Keeping the water as pristine as possible is vital. Is he eating the green peas?

4. Gypsy13

Also, I can’t see your fish so please describe his body to me. Does he seem bloated or thin in one area and normal in another? Can you see his gills? Their color? Does he seem to be breathing ok?

Had my husband describe your fish. If it’s constipated, it’s poo may have bubbles that make it float. Can also cause the casing looking poo. Is this fish alone in the tank? Water temp of water changes the same as tank water?
    If it is constipation, PWC, green peas, epsom salt. If you don’t have scale less fish like corys or plants you can add to the tank. Many people set up salt baths.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
  5. Goldiemom

GoldiemomWell Known MemberMember

6. OP
    OP
    kleerp

kleerpNew MemberMember

Thanks for the reply - I now think it may have been high nitrates. I had done 2 25% water changes 2 days in a row so I thought the nitrates would be a-ok, but when I tested it it looked like it was 40. So I changed more water and have been feeding him peas. He seems a lot better today and in swimming around again~

7. OP
    OP
    kleerp

kleerpNew MemberMember

I have wondered about stress - but there hasn't been any noise around that I'm aware of - unless someone was doing a massive construction project somewhere I can't see while I'm gone at work - it's very quiet here. I did 25% water changes 2 days in a row, vacuumed the gravel, and withheld food for a day. And yes, he's eating the peas. This is the second day of peas for him. I have not seen anything hanging from or off him - only found it for several days in a row floating up top. I did notice the red stringy thing hanging from him before I had him in this tank - while he was in a temporary small tank. But that tended to come off on its own after a while (this was a few months ago). Haven't seen anything hanging from him since. So I'll do another water change today and keep up with the peas for another day. I'm starting to wonder if it was high nitrates - as I did test the water after 2 days of water changes and found the nitrates to be somewhere between 30 and 40. Now I'm trying to figure out what kind of plant might help. Thank you for your reply - I appreciate it!

8. OP
    OP
    kleerp

kleerpNew MemberMember

The only thing I have handy is something I've never used before. Just got it once for a "just in case" type situation. It's something called Tetra Lifeguard - that says it's broad-spectrum but non antibiotic. Some little tablet things. Haven't used them yet.

9. Goldiemom

I’ve used it and in fact, have it in my meds. It’s not for parasites though. Sounds like Gypsy gave you some good advice and it’s working. Don’t overdo it on the peas.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  10. Oliver T.

Oliver T.Valued MemberMember

definitely sounds like a swim bladder problem, in your picture he looks great, nice colors, no fin problems, and no tank mates. Im stumped

11. Gypsy13

Just regular old constipation can cause swim bladder issues. Continue the water changes and peas. Don’t feed too many. But it sounds like he’s doing better. If your nitrates stay high do a few bigger water changes. Watch the temp of the new water. It should be as close to the tank temp as possible.
    Keep up the good work and updates!

12. OP
    OP
    kleerp

kleerpNew MemberMember

Oh! I just saw your reply - sorry I missed it before. He looks...totally normal. Not bloated, no signs of anything growing on him or hanging on him, same color as always, fins look fine, nothing looks different to me. There's been no feces floating around since yesterday morning, and he's swam around some and ate some peas, but he's still acting weird. I really don't know what to do! I've been told various medicines but also that it's not good to give them meds unless they need it and the wrong one is bad! Here's a quick video of him being weird then 5 min later swimming around some...

Attached Files:

13. OP
    OP
    kleerp

kleerpNew MemberMember

I don't have that - is is safe to give? I have some Tetra Lifeguard, whatever that is. This is how he looks:

I've never had a fish be sick or anything...quite confused! Thank you.

14. Gypsy13

It’s never a good idea to dose with meds if you’re not positive that’s what’s needed. After all, if you add one med then find out you needed another, you may have to wait for the first to be out of the tank before using the correct one. Have you tried adding the salt?

15. OP
    OP
    kleerp

kleerpNew MemberMember

@Goldiemom Prazipro came in the mail today! Their website is worded oddly...any idea how to use this stuff? I've never used any medicine of any kind before. It's a 20 gallon freshwater tank for my goldfish (cleverly named Mr. Feesh). Is it generally safe?
    Thank you~

16. Gypsy13

If you believe your fish has Camallanus Worms Levamisole works best. But are you sure it has parasites? Have you investigated to see what kind? Please check out the aquarium forum tab. Go to fish diseases. See if you can narrow down exactly what’s wrong. @Thunder_o_b can you see this fish for me? Please?

17. Goldiemom

I’m about to use the Prazipro too. It is confusing.

18. OP
    OP
    kleerp

kleerpNew MemberMember

@Goldiemom No, I'm not sure it has parasites. There's physically nothing different I see on him, his water parameters check out ok - he's not pooping anymore - he did white poop twice this week, though. He just sits on the bottom most of the time and half the time barely moves his fins. He doesn't seem to want to come to the surface, and when I turn the light on he tends to go into his cave until the moment I turn the light off. I've had a handful of people suggest possibilities and I'm not sure what's right - but you were the first one to suggest a medicine and since I know very little about this I thought I'd try it...

_JML9497.jpg_JML9497.jpg_JML9502.jpg_JML9505.jpg_JML9506.jpg

him sitting there and him suddenly being somewhat active...

19. Goldiemom

It’s not going to hurt to go ahead and treat for parasites. He looks normal to me so it had to be internal which leads me to believing it’s parasites. According to directions, use 1 tsp per 20 gallons. You can either distribute it around the tank or put in your filter to distribute through tank. You can use every 7 days but hope one treatment would be enough. It doesn’t say to remove charcoal but I would. I would also do a pwc a few days later after dosing.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  20. Goldiemom

No more throwing up?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice