Goldfish- Sand, Gravel, Bare

kiramon2

Hi,

I have a goldfish tank that has gravel in it. I had older gravel in another tank for quite a while with my one goldfish, who was fine with it and didn't much disturb it. But I have this new fish that likes to pluck it around and he doesn't seem to be as good with extending his mouth as the more pointy > shaped goldfish can, so I'm a bit worried he'll hurt himself or swallow some of the gravel.

I've considered switching to sand - but I have a 75g tank with sand and my fish in that one like to clear spots for themselves (the blood parrot), which I've read goldfish might do something similar. This tank also uses 2 AC HOBs, though they both have pre-filters on them, versus the Cannister on the larger rtank.

So I was wondering if it would be a good idea to switch to Sand or Bare? I know my last tank got quite a bit of algae and gunk on the gravel over the year, even though I used the vacuum every time I did a water change. It was pretty nasty. But I'm also worried that if I go bare bottom, the algae growth on the bottom might look nasty? I know it'll take a bit more water changes with bare, but it should also make it easier for me to feed sinking (as I currently have to use a glass plate as it just gets lost in the gravel otherwise)

This tank also has a single rubber-lipped pleco in it - and although he primarily sticks to his ornament/sometimes the side glass, not sure if he is getting anything from the gravel that he would miss if it were gone.

FishPlanet

We have always used sand or tiny rocks from nature for our goldfish.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
RL2021
Replies
Views