Goldfish relationships? Question

1. Dark Sky Member Member

I've often wondered this, thought I should ask the people who are most likely to know (from experience)!

I've got two goldfish, nice little Bronze guys, they've always stuck close to each other, often foraging on their own, then running off to find the other one and swim close for a while. They seem like best buds, bumping each other, taking turns to overtake then fall behind, it's like watching two give year old boys playing.

I have always loved Shubunkins, as a kid my favourites in our overcrowded tank were a White and orange fantail and the Shubunkin. Now that my goldfish are in their own tank, I'm toying with the idea of getting a Shubunkin (or, I guess a Calico is better suited to an aquarium?). They're in a 29G, which math says is just right for the two, but since they're only young there is plenty of room for another friend, keeping in mind I'll be moving house at the end of next year and will plan to find a bigger tank for them when I do.

To my question, I have wondered whether, seeing as these two have such a close relationship, will an addition be perceived as a threat? A third-wheel, to be shunned? Or welcomed to the party with open fins? I know the general answer is 'try it and see', but I'd love to hear from goldfish lovers with experience in adding an odd numbered fish into an already tight friendship.

Thanks, looking forward to hear the thoughts!

2. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

It will probably be welcomed, but 29g is far too small. The single-tailed ('ordinary' goldfish shaped) goldfish are all capable of growing to a foot so a huge tank is required. They are better off in a pond.

3. Dark Sky Member Member

Maybe I'm underestimating a pending growth spurt, but just going by how much these two have grown in the past six months (currently about 2.5" in size), I'm not sure if they will outgrow this 29g in the next 18 months... Ultimately, yes, pond for a real Shubunkin, which is why I'm considering a Calico of some sort instead.

4. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

the shubunkin would be accepted, though he may end up being the bully or king of the tank due to his/her ability to out swim the fancies. Also, shubunkins, comets, need swimming room, preferably a 4 foot tank until transferred to a pond. I would keep the 2 fancies alone in the 29 until you're ready with a larger tank. Best of luck.

5. Dark Sky Member Member

Thanks for that. I know a true Shubunkin wouldn't be suited to the aquarium, which is why I'd consider a calico fantail, the colour of what I'd like without the huge space requirements.

I won't be doing anything in a hurry though, I have a feeling a may end up adopting (temporarily at least) a big Black Moor from my sons childcare. The poor guy ('Bob') lives in a little, maybe 30L aquarium in filthy water. Today I went in and he was in a little 10L (or possibly less!) box with no filter because his tank had sprung a leak! "I filled it up with fresh tap water this morning, I don't know why he keeps his mouth out of the water though, maybe he's hungry..." Says the girl... Before continuing to tell me how her and her husband keep a marine tank, so she knows all about fish etc. I jerry-rigged the hood mounted filter from his old tank onto his prison cell and he immediately looked happier, but I have a feeling I may be getting a call to look after him, if he survives the weekend that is!

6. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

I would take special care to fully acclimate the moore into a QT tank before he's transferred to your goldie aquarium. The water conditions you mentioned he is kept in are concerning. This way, he gets acclimated to new PH, ammon, nitri, nitrate parameters, then monitor for a few weeks so in the case the poor guy has a disease or complication that should to be treated.